Should I be happy or mad? Sapphire D211 switched to Royal A333

PACD_JG

Booked my first cruise (to Alaska) on the Sapphire for 06/25/22, haven't paid anything but $200 deposit, so I have cancellation options.  Booked a mini-suite D211 for 2 adults, 2 teenage daughters (354 square feet).  Booked Sapphire for smaller ship, liked the idea of cruising east of Vancouver Island through the Johnstone Strait.  Total price was $8512 but that includes $550 onboard credit and $615 cash card when trip is over (booked through TA).  Got switched to Royal, same date.  Now sailing west of Vancouver Island and I was assigned A333 (only 299 square feet).  So that's 2 strikes.  Should I stick with this?   Try to negotiate for a different room?  Maybe two connecting balcony cabins?  Can or should I?  Seems to me a larger ship should be cheaper than a smaller ship.  Negotiate for a better price?  What would you do?

18 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Booked my first cruise (to Alaska) on the Sapphire for 06/25/22, haven't paid anything but $200 deposit, so I have cancellation options.  Booked a mini-suite D211 for 2 adults, 2 teenage daughters (354 square feet).  Booked Sapphire for smaller ship, liked the idea of cruising east of Vancouver Island through the Johnstone Strait.  Total price was $8512 but that includes $550 onboard credit and $615 cash card when trip is over (booked through TA).  Got switched to Royal, same date.  Now sailing west of Vancouver Island and I was assigned A333 (only 299 square feet).  So that's 2 strikes.  Should I stick with this?   Try to negotiate for a different room?  Maybe two connecting balcony cabins?  Can or should I?  Seems to me a larger ship should be cheaper than a smaller ship.  Negotiate for a better price?  What would you do?

I would call TA after looking over deck plans and select the cabin/ S of my choice 

• Like 2

Having sailed on the Sapphire 6 times and on the Royal/Regal 8 times, and having just sailed to Alaska on the Majestic, and also once on the Sapphire, 

You can’t go wrong with either ship.    You should know that the minis on Sapphire don’t have covered balconies, so you would have been exposed to the elements.  However, the balconies are larger on the Sapphire,  but unusable in inclement weather.   

I’ve stayed in minis on both ships, and there is NO discernible difference.  In fact, the minis felt more spacious on the Royal.  The square footage difference might be due to the balcony size, which balconies are tiny on the Royal Class ships, but more importantly, they are covered.  

I get your disappointment about not getting to sail the inside passage, but it certainly shouldn’t be a dealbreaker, when you will have nothing but scenery for the rest of the cruise.   Although I love both ships, I love them for very different reasons.   The Royal is much more elegant and modern, and the Roysl Class ships actually yfeel LESS crowded to me than the Grand Class.  

You will have more passengers, BUT you will have larger venues.  For one, the showroom on the Royal is far superior to that of the Sapphire, which is tired and cramped.  The stage productions on the Royal are much better.  

The buffet on the Royal is fabulous, and not so great on the Sapphire, in fact, the Sapphire buffet is pathetic compared to the Royal.  Shops are better on the Royal. But Sapphire has Explorer’s lounge, which I prefer to Princess live on Royal. 

Dining rooms are MUCH better on the Royal Class.  Sapphire has four smaller dining rooms, and dining was always a cluster.  Much prefer the Crown Grill and specialty restaurants on the Royal Class.    Sapphire has a better Wheelhouse. 

Sapphire has wraparound promenade, Royal doesn’t.   Also, the Sapphire has a covered pool, which does make it nice for Alaskan sailings.  

No matter what Alaskan itinerary you go on, it is always wonderful.   

• Like 3

Tried to add this to my above reply but was too late

Typically, there is nothing to negotiate since booking cruises is like booking airline tickets, supply and demand.   You should book at a price point that you like.  Compare by using various booking search engines, but we aren’t allowed to discuss specifics on this site.  Pre-covid, cruises always sailed full, large or small ships, so your theory is flawed about large ships  

being incentivized to drop prices.    

Case in point, I just booked last month 19 days per-sailing, and although I got a decent rate, it wasn’t as rock bottom as one would think, particularly because we sailed half empty, but that’s not how it works with cruising.  

If you don’t like the reassignment you can always get your deposit back and book something later, but prices could increase significantly, and also, so many of us had numerous cruises canceled over the last 18 months and we have cruise credit on the books, which is burning a hole in all of our pockets. I think we can expect pretty full sailings going forward due to so many deferred cruises.  

• Like 1

All four of you will not fit on the balcony of a Royal class ship. Is that something you feel is a deal breaker?

Four full size people in any cabin  short of a full suite is tight. I personally wouldn't enjoy my cruise with that set up. I would put the teenagers across the hall in an inside cabin and let them visit with you.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 5

I originally booked Alaska this fall on the Emerald for the smaller ship experience. I was pretty disappointed to be moved over to the Majestic. To add insult to injury, I was price protected from a trip I booked early in its availability to one booked a couple of months prior to sailing (that is to say, I paid the same amount; the Majestic cabin had surely increased in price over those many months). The cabin was substantially smaller and I was located all the way forward (with a tiny balcony) after I sought out and booked an aft balcony. I worked very hard to get excited for the Majestic (I had previously sailed the Diamond and the Majestic is substantially larger). I returned yesterday from my trip and was grateful throughout that I decided to stick with it and enjoy the trip that was available to me rather than long for the one I wished I had (or cancel yet another vacation).

You have some time to decide, but I would probably see if anything else is available that may suit you better. I would check the price on the two balcony cabins if that sounds appealing. I attempted to find an alternative, but the cabin I was provided was the best option I could get in my situation. Good luck!

• Like 2

Not everyone can afford a suite.  I have not traveled on a Royal Class ship and don't have any plans to do so (I do have the Sky Princess booked, but will probably cancel that cruise).  I like the Sapphire and her sister ships.  The added room on the balcony is definitely a plus.  The wrap around Promenade deck for Alaska is also a bonus.  

Depending on whether the 3 and 4 passengers are at a reduced rate, you may want to keep all of you in a mini.  If all 4 are paying full fare, then consider an interior for the teenagers and a balcony across the hall for the two adults.  

You will enjoy your cruise to Alaska.  

Are there any other Grand Class ships doing this itinerary?  I understand Princess move over offers, but sometimes they are not an improvement in my opinion.  I was moved from the Grand to the Regal to the Sky.  Each move was in a lesser desired stateroom.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

All four of you will not fit on the balcony of a Royal class ship. Is that something you feel is a deal breaker?

Four full size people in any cabin  short of a full suite is tight. I personally wouldn't enjoy my cruise with that set up. I would put the teenagers across the hall in an inside cabin and let them visit with you.

On one of our cruises, we booked a balcony and booked an inside right across the hall from us for our two young adult daughters, It worked out perfectly!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Curious when you received your new cabin assignment. We still haven't received ours for the July 2nd sailing (June 26th cruisetour). I've been checking the website daily, but just get a blank page for the personalizer.

30 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Curious when you received your new cabin assignment. We still haven't received ours for the July 2nd sailing (June 26th cruisetour). I've been checking the website daily, but just get a blank page for the personalizer.

It's detailed in the thread you started.  Login.  Change summary to itinerary in the address.  Click boarding pass and travel summary link on top right.  Click Print Summary.  Voila.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

It's detailed in the thread you started.  Login.  Change summary to itinerary in the address.  Click boarding pass and travel summary link on top right.  Click Print Summary.  Voila.

Awesome, thanks! I hadn't looked at that thread in a few days. 🤦‍♂️

If it were me I should be thinking about the ages of the girls, thirteen and fourteen are a lot different from eighteen and nineteen.  The problem in my experience is getting into the bathroom as and when you need to.  The cruise line have moved you from an ME to an MB grade, so they think you have been upgraded.  I should be looking to phone in and try and get moved to a mini-suite nearer a public restroom even a lower grade as they are essentially identical  or seek a balcony and inside combination dependant on the teenagers ages.

Regards John

10 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Ok, so where are you seeing that cabin A333 is only 299 sqft? When I look at the deck plans and select that cabin, it says 329 sqft. We were signed A224, which also says 329 sqft.

10 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Ok, so where are you seeing that cabin A333 is only 299 sqft? When I look at the deck plans and select that cabin, it says 329 sqft. We were signed A224, which also says 329 sqft.

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 299 square feet of comfort and an additional, separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious balcony is approximately 41 square feet and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower. Some also have a pullman bed to accommodate a 4th passenger.

It says the same thing for A224 FYI.

Confused about Princess math. 299 + 41 = 340 feet, not 329.  Also confused about what it said about my Sapphire mini-suite.  Is that 354 + 80, or is it 274 +80 = 354?  If the latter is true, the mini-suite on the Royal may actually be bigger?

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 354 square feet of comfort and a separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious balcony is approximately 80 square feet and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower. Some Mini-Suites also have a pullman bed to accommodate a 4th passenger.

10 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 299 square feet of comfort and an additional, separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious balcony is approximately 41 square feet and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower. Some also have a pullman bed to accommodate a 4th passenger.

It says the same thing for A224 FYI.

That's the generic description that comes up when you click "view stateroom amenities" for any mini-suite. Which is weird, because every mini I checked on the deck plans, were either 319 sqft or 329 sqft. I didn't see any that were 299 sqft, but I didn't check every mini on every deck. So maybe that's the smallest one? Anyway, the total includes the balcony.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:54 PM, 4cats4me said:

The Royal is much more elegant and modern, and the Roysl Class ships actually yfeel LESS crowded to me than the Grand Class.  You will have more passengers, BUT you will have larger venues.

I echo these sentiments! The Royal class ships expanded size and seating in many of the public areas, compared to the older ships. I noticed this most in the atrium space, which reduced overcrowding substantially due to Piazza hogs who would stake out seats for full-days at a time on the older ships. It still happens, but there's just much more space and seating to go around.

23 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Confused about Princess math. 299 + 41 = 340 feet, not 329.  Also confused about what it said about my Sapphire mini-suite.  Is that 354 + 80, or is it 274 +80 = 354?  If the latter is true, the mini-suite on the Royal may actually be bigger?

As I mentioned previously, there was no discernible difference between the size of the minis on both ships.  The difference is the size of the balconies.  

The room felt larger on the Royal f

Room was definitely not 354 + 80 on Sapphire.  354 was the total.    No regular minis are in the 400+ range, including a balcony or not , only the full suites.    

23 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 354 square feet of comfort and a separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious balcony is approximately 80 square feet and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower. Some Mini-Suites also have a pullman bed to accommodate a 4th passenger.

Edited by 4cats4me

On 9/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Not everyone can afford a suite.  I have not traveled on a Royal Class ship and don't have any plans to do so (I do have the Sky Princess booked, but will probably cancel that cruise).  I like the Sapphire and her sister ships.  The added room on the balcony is definitely a plus.  The wrap around Promenade deck for Alaska is also a bonus.  

Depending on whether the 3 and 4 passengers are at a reduced rate, you may want to keep all of you in a mini.  If all 4 are paying full fare, then consider an interior for the teenagers and a balcony across the hall for the two adults.  

You will enjoy your cruise to Alaska.  

Are there any other Grand Class ships doing this itinerary?  I understand Princess move over offers, but sometimes they are not an improvement in my opinion.  I was moved from the Grand to the Regal to the Sky.  Each move was in a lesser desired stateroom.

These aren't really move over offers, simply trading ships for the itineraries.  With reduced capacity right now they can move the Royal to the ever popular Alaska cruises and get more people than they could put on the Sapphire and move the smaller ship to Australia where it may be restricted to Aussie and NZ travelers.  Just my opinion

On 9/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, PACD_JG said:

While shopping for my Alaska trip, weirdly, the larger ship (majestic) was more expensive by about $100 or so. I don't know why but it was. In looking at the 2 cabins they have actually upgraded you from a ME category to a MD category so I think they probably think they are doing a good deed.  They moved you from the forward area of the ship to pretty much midship. I would also classify that as a "good deal" since I tend to get a bit of a weird feeling near the front of the ship. 

I don't think they are doing a lot of "negotiating" since they are scrambling to just get everyone's reservations transferred to the new ship. I was hoping to get an angle balcony since I have a club level cabin, but no luck, they were all filled. I am unhappy that they removed Ketchikan but I know Victoria is a nice city, too so I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, memoak said:

These aren't really move over offers, simply trading ships for the itineraries.  With reduced capacity right now they can move the Royal to the ever popular Alaska cruises and get more people than they could put on the Sapphire and move the smaller ship to Australia where it may be restricted to Aussie and NZ travelers.  Just my opinion

I was going to give you a "like" but I couldn't.  I agree with what you said, but I don't like it.😉 I don't like anything larger than the Grand Class. But you hit the nail on the head about getting more passengers on board at reduced capacity.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I just went from undecided to hell no.  

I just logged in and they replaced Glacier Bay with Hubbard Glacier.  This is on a northbound Vancouver-Whittier cruise.

Where did you find this itinerary change?