"COVID-19 Protection Program" Quaranteen Question

cruisegeek1974

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess.com info indicates they are doing the test after exiting the terminal and indicate a PCR result can be had within about 60 minutes.  PITA sort of as delays getting to airport, compared to getting the test on the ship a day or two earlier.  Perhaps they are expecting to have a large volume over a longer period of time than when first conceived. 

Luckily, when we booked our flights months ago, our usual 11:30AM return was unavailable, so we had to settle for a 14:30  direct. Worked out well this time.

17 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Luckily, when we booked our flights months ago, our usual 11:30AM return was unavailable, so we had to settle for a 14:30  direct. Worked out well this time.

Let’s hope you don’t have to worry about this and can enjoy your cruise take precautions to keep you safe 

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

It seems pretty clear that they WILL pay for your hotel, but only up to a certain amount. If you stay at a hotel they specify, they would pay for all of it, but if you decide to stay at a $1000/night hotel on the beach, they would only pay the difference up to the maximum of their rate, not the entire amount.

In our case, the thought of being trapped in a hotel room for a few weeks is so worrying that we would probably end up renting a car and driving back home. Two or three days driving sure beats a week or two locked in a hotel room.  We'd still have to quarantine at home.

We are doing a B2B in a week and will be tested in the middle of the two legs of the cruise.  My TA assured me that Princess would handle all travel related interruptions if we somehow tested positive for CoVid.  We wouldn’t be able to fly on a commercial flight so, if we are not in need of medical care, they would arrange a rental car for us to get back home…. Not only the arrangements but also the associated costs.  This was acceptable because we do live within a half day’s drive back home.  

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess.com info indicates they are doing the test after exiting the terminal and indicate a PCR result can be had within about 60 minutes.  PITA sort of as delays getting to airport, compared to getting the test on the ship a day or two earlier.  Perhaps they are expecting to have a large volume over a longer period of time than when first conceived. 

I typically would try for an 11am flight home but if testing is done AFTER the cruise at the port I would certainly need to plan for a later flight home.  A test on the ship would have been way better in every respect.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

I typically would try for an 11am flight home but if testing is done AFTER the cruise at the port I would certainly need to plan for a later flight home.  A test on the ship would have been way better in every respect.

Considering ships are ready to disembark shortly after 6am or 7am (non-Royal Class), and airport is 10 minutes away, an hour or so delay for a test doesn't make the morning flight impossible at all.  Makes me wonder who is going to be using those flights though - LOL.

But not every airport is 10 minutes from the port!  LAX and San Pedro for one. Suggest we all write Princess  customer service, asking for testing to be done day before onboard as a courtesy to passengers. We fly home west coast to west coast. Most flights early or late. Only one is convenient for us. Leaves lax at 12:15. Gonna try it..otherwise an overnight  to get up way before dawn to get Early am flight. also hoping against hope that by Feb some of the existing rules are relaxed by Canada and on,y a PCR is required…less time to get results.  First world problems to be sure, but problems nonetheless.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Considering ships are ready to disembark shortly after 6am or 7am (non-Royal Class), and airport is 10 minutes away, an hour or so delay for a test doesn't make the morning flight impossible at all.  Makes me wonder who is going to be using those flights though - LOL.

You must be an optimist as you are assuming the testing and results would go as planned to make it in time for an 11am flight :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are doing a B2B in a week and will be tested in the middle of the two legs of the cruise.  My TA assured me that Princess would handle all travel related interruptions if we somehow tested positive for CoVid.  We wouldn’t be able to fly on a commercial flight so, if we are not in need of medical care, they would arrange a rental car for us to get back home…. Not only the arrangements but also the associated costs.  This was acceptable because we do live within a half day’s drive back home.  

This is very interesting, and very encouraging, thanks for posting. There isn't a lot of info out there right now as to exactly how Princess will handle this specific situation, so this is great news. If anyone has further info on this, please keep us informed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

You must be an optimist as you are assuming the testing and results would go as planned to make it in time for an 11am flight 🙂

Depends when they start testing.  But I must admit, I wouldn't normally be up extra early for an 11am flight.  Would likely leave the ship around 9am.  So need to be off before 8am to get the test.  I doubt I would push it.  No plans to cruise from FLL by flying in from Canada this Winter.  We are spending Winter in SW FL, so we could drive over and cruise, but it would be a last-minute decision and we wouldn't have to deal with much nonsense other than the pre-test - IF they are even still testing by mid-Winter.  Who knows?

I am more concerned about the land border opening sooner than later.  😉

3 hours ago, muffin said:

But not every airport is 10 minutes from the port!  LAX and San Pedro for one. Suggest we all write Princess  customer service, asking for testing to be done day before onboard as a courtesy to passengers. We fly home west coast to west coast. Most flights early or late. Only one is convenient for us. Leaves lax at 12:15. Gonna try it..otherwise an overnight  to get up way before dawn to get Early am flight. also hoping against hope that by Feb some of the existing rules are relaxed by Canada and on,y a PCR is required…less time to get results.  First world problems to be sure, but problems nonetheless.  

We have an 11:40AM flight out of FLL through Princess EZair scheduled. And then they announced that they’ll be testing after disembarkation instead of on the ship. We called our Princess vacation planner and asked him if we ought to switch it to the 5:00PM flight, which was the next option and he said we get to Fort Lauderdale at 6AM and we have the princess transfers to the airport. And he says it’s plenty of time. So I’ve decided to hope he knows what he’s talking about and leave it alone. 

49 minutes ago, Lizabu said:

We have an 11:40AM flight out of FLL through Princess EZair scheduled. And then they announced that they’ll be testing after disembarkation instead of on the ship. We called our Princess vacation planner and asked him if we ought to switch it to the 5:00PM flight, which was the next option and he said we get to Fort Lauderdale at 6AM and we have the princess transfers to the airport. And he says it’s plenty of time. So I’ve decided to hope he knows what he’s talking about and leave it alone. 

You have PLENTY of time as long as willing to get up early and they are ready to start testing early.

7 hours ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

If test results are sent to your smart cell phone, then there is no need to wait around the port for the results. You can go to the airport (but not check-in) and await the results there.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You have PLENTY of time as long as willing to get up early and they are ready to start testing early.

Just to note, the first one willing to get up early is in your control. (You can even request a wakeup call.) The second one, them testing early is not in your control.