Getting Seats in a Crowded Bar

john watson

I was very impressed with the strategy which a couple of well dressed ladies had on a formal night on Ventura.  Manhattan was packed and I was sitting in a big group when I spotted the ladies accosting a drinks waiter.  He went across to another big group of people with two of the small tables and an unoccupied chair. He said something to the group and started pointing at the two tables using his finger like a windscreen wiper.  Next thing I observe, he whips a table sets it up in a new position goes back for the chair nabs that.  Sits a lady down then disappears into the packed crowd. Only to be spotted forcing back through the crowd with a second chair.  Then he takes the drinks orders and acquires his commission.  It made me laugh.

Regards John

• Like 3

6 hours ago, john watson said:

I was very impressed with the strategy which a couple of well dressed ladies had on a formal night on Ventura.  Manhattan was packed and I was sitting in a big group when I spotted the ladies accosting a drinks waiter.  He went across to another big group of people with two of the small tables and an unoccupied chair. He said something to the group and started pointing at the two tables using his finger like a windscreen wiper.  Next thing I observe, he whips a table sets it up in a new position goes back for the chair nabs that.  Sits a lady down then disappears into the packed crowd. Only to be spotted forcing back through the crowd with a second chair.  Then he takes the drinks orders and acquires his commission.  It made me laugh.

Regards John

We had a very good bar waiter in the Blue Bar on Azura, who always did his best to ensure we got a seat for ourselves and any friends that joined us. He was transferred to the coffee bar place before the end of the cruise but I tracked him down to give him a tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

If the bar was that crowded then I don’t think I would have wanted a seat in it.

Good strategy though if you are prepared to sit in a packed bar.

In my limited experience of Azura, every bar was packed, so you didn't have much choice...

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

If the bar was that crowded then I don’t think I would have wanted a seat in it.

Good strategy though if you are prepared to sit in a packed bar.

Given that everyone on board is double vaccinated,  and had a negative test 1 hour before boarding,  what more do you want ?

Sometimes irrational fear circumscribes logic.  

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given that everyone on board is double vaccinated,  and had a negative test 1 hour before boarding,  what more do you want ?

Sometimes irrational fear circumscribes logic.  

You are making assumptions. I never liked hugely crowded places even before covid. With covid around avoiding crowds is anything but irrational.

If there was absolutely no chance of anything happening amongst the fully vaccinated / tested then why are cruise companies spending time and energy (and annoying some customers by cancelling their cruises) by creating isolation zones for those who need to quarantine? Irrational fear affecting their logic?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Goodness I have never found the bars to be crowded on Aurora or Arcadia.

In my original post when I said crowded I really meant that all the seats were seemingly occupied and a few other people were standing, my idea of Manhattan being crowded.  This being at the time in the pre-covid era. It seems that on here and a lot of social networking type forums that a lot of controversy seems to erupt out of simple posts.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Goodness I have never found the bars to be crowded on Aurora or Arcadia.

I have often found it difficult to find a seat in Aurora's Anderson's for a pre-second-sitting dinner drink Jean. That's about it though, never a problem anywhere else.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes you might be right about Andersons.  We normlly go to the Crows Nest.

Sadly, there is less bar space on Aurora, compared to Oriana, which of course had Tiffany's and The Lord's Tavern. Aurora doesn't really have an equivalent to Tiffany's and Champions is a lot smaller than the Lord's Tavern was.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That's where we met you Andrew, in Tiffanys with George on the piano and what an evening it was with our Shirley in top voice!!

Absolutely Jean. We had a number of super evenings there. It really is a shame thar there isn't a bar like that on Aurora. At least Arcadia has a decent-sized piano bar.

• Like 1