Trip Insurance

gatorchinsky

We aren’t cruising until November 2022 so I hadn’t thought about trip insurance, but now with the likelihood of COVID not going away, I was wondering if insurance companies cover COVID or just use NCL insurance?  If you have bought insurance through NCL which is the best?  Does it cover enough, not COVID related, that it made you feel comfortable?  TIA!

Here is a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Meanwhile, we strongly recommend www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker and handle several vetted insurers, with a variety of policies/types of coverage.

Or you can ask questions of the owner of TIS:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2021/

If you call, they will help you identify what types of coverage might work for you.  They don't 'oversell', and there is no extra cost for purchasing coverage through them.

We've had several claims (policies through TIS with Travel Insured), including two large claims, and all were paid promptly without nonsense.

GC

• Like 2

Your question is impossible to answer now.  I will give you perspective.  I never used Cruise Insurance until my cruise in 2019.  I have no idea why I started then maybe because I was having some health issues.  GLAD I DID.

I just went on a Cruise August 2021 to the Bahamas.  We were supposed to go in July but my wife had "Breakthrough" covid.  Mild case, over it in a week, taste/smell back in 9 days.  The Insurance Company when we bought the insurance sent us an email.  Something like, "We usually won't cover things like Covid but for this policy we will."  The issue is they might not be doing this in the future.

Good thing, it was NOT NCL and I had a Penalty for 1/2 my fare because it was 8-days prior to cruise.  Please don't make comments on which cruise line or they should not have done that.  I knew the rules so I accepted the consequences. The insurance company paid off over $3,200.00 in my checking account in less then 15 days.  My American Express gave me $425.00 for other charges lost that was not paid by the Travel Insurance.  

Now will the clause be in future Insurance Products, I don't know.  Can you just buy health/accident part of the policy for far less then when it has the trip interruption/cancelation clause in in, YES.   Do you need to cover your health insurance when you are on a cruise ship if you have Medicare like me, YES you do.  You have no coverage when you leave the United States on Medicare.  

That is my story, my premium was $525.00.  My cancelation max was $5600.00.  Am I glad I purchased it, YES.  The insurance company was Allianz Global Assistance.  It was provided by my travel agent.  It can be purchased online for the exact same premium.  

I hope my story helps the Op-Ed and others. 

• Like 3

As others have said, you should ALWAYS purchase travel insurance when traveling internationally, even before and after COVID is a concern. The vast majority of health insurance in the US will not cover you internationally. There are some Medicare supplemental plans that will, but it's important to check in advance.

International medical costs can be completely devastating. Especially if any sort of medical evacuation is necessary. I have heard instances of medical evacuation costing $30,000-100,000! While you may not think you need travel insurance because you don't care about things like "cancel for any reason", lost luggage, delayed flights, etc. and you believe you can just "eat" the costs of a canceled trip, there aren't many people who can afford tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses. And the people who *can* afford to eat those costs are usually smart enough with their money to just buy the insurance!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gatorchinsky said:

We aren’t cruising until November 2022 so I hadn’t thought about trip insurance, but now with the likelihood of COVID not going away, I was wondering if insurance companies cover COVID or just use NCL insurance?  If you have bought insurance through NCL which is the best?  Does it cover enough, not COVID related, that it made you feel comfortable?  TIA!

When you buy trip insurance through NCL, the medical is through Nationwide which is an "accredited"  insurance company.  Care Free Travel Assistance comes through AON, which is a reputable company as well.

"Insurance coverages are underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, Ohio and non-insurance services are provided by CareFree Travel Assistance™. "

• Like 1

Great info!  Was not aware you could purchase Medical coverage only.  Just checked out the Alliance Global Assistance website and the prices for Medical coverage only are very reasonable with substantial benefits for transportation home if necessary.  Coverage also currently includes benefits related to Covid 19.  

We are planning a TA cruise in a Haven Suite on the NCL Escape in November, 2022,  God willing.  WIll need to make our go/no go decision, (as well as trip cancellation insurance purchase which is substantially more expensive since we are planning a month-long vacation), next July.  

Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise!

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the detailed information.  I will be looking into the different types of coverage and what will be best for us.  Medical is definitely important to us just in case.

One more thing…if you purchase an insurance policy for your cruise and then the cruise is cancelled either by you or the cruise line, is the money you paid for that policy refundable?

36 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

Thank you all for the detailed information.  I will be looking into the different types of coverage and what will be best for us.  Medical is definitely important to us just in case.

One more thing…if you purchase an insurance policy for your cruise and then the cruise is cancelled either by you or the cruise line, is the money you paid for that policy refundable?

It depends on the policy of the insurance company.  When my initial cruise was cancelled du to covid-19 in 2020.  My insurance provided by the American Express Insurance Service cancelled it and gave me a refund.  They said it was a one time only refund.  

Today I am not so sure.  Makes sense it would be a refund however the world does not make to me these days. Best to check with them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatorchinsky said:

It depends on which options you buy, the more rich the coverage (meaning it covers in more situations) the more expensive it will be.  

If I buy the NCL trip insurance, does this mean if I have a medicalissue, I will not have to pay first and then ask for claim payment?  The price for the NCL policy is about the same as the cost for a private policy to cover COVID related claims.  I usually do not buy the cruiseline polcy but in this case, if it means I would not have to pay for medical care upfront and then file a claim, I would buy the NCL policy.  Am I wrong?

I also have never bought the trip insurance.  I feel that they are not worth it.  We are on medicare & supplemental.  The one thing we asked  before we got our supplemental is if it covered international & out of state. So you might want to check your policy 1st before buying medical trip insurance.

3 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

I would guess that if you buy it through the cruise line, like NCL Essentials, that it would be refunded.  Otherwise, I haven't a clue.

I usually buy the "Essentials" travel insurance through NCL and I have some coverage through my cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve for the cruise itself and Amex Platinum for the air)as well.   Both cards have some level of coverage.

I'm not looking to "cancel for any reason", just looking to protect myself in case of something major, or even semi-major (treatment on ship for something.)  I always thought the cards and policy covered me well but am I misinformed?

1 hour ago, Traderbill said:

I also have never bought the trip insurance.  I feel that they are not worth it.  We are on medicare & supplemental.  The one thing we asked  before we got our supplemental is if it covered international & out of state. So you might want to check your policy 1st before buying medical trip insurance.

If you have a standardized medicare supplement plan it would only cover $50,000.  From an insurance company site (the coverage is uniform by company):

• Covers foreign travel emergency care during the first 60 days of any trip, and if Medicare doesn’t otherwise cover the care.
  • Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.
  • Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

i always buy from https://tripinsurancestore.com/ and it clearly says (i cannot find the page now) that covid is treated the same as every other illness. just bought for my upcoming cruise. 320 for 7K in coverage. obviously age dependent. unsure if state matters

when covid canceled my cruise they actually got me a credit for my unused trip insurance. which i used on a later land trip. very ez to deal with. even if you dont buy from them. u should compare their pricing and coverage to what you are buying

another thing i just remembered. i dont think theres any insurance that pays first.meaning you lay out the money and get reimbursed normally

if anyone finds a plan that 'pays at the hospital' while you are there, id love to see it and buy it

Edited by luckyinpa

3 hours ago, Traderbill said:

Unfortunately, I am not on medicare yet.  I get my regular health insurance through my employer.  I plan to travel in Europe and take a transatlantic so I figure I need trip medical insurance.

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

another thing i just remembered. i dont think theres any insurance that pays first.meaning you lay out the money and get reimbursed normally

if anyone finds a plan that 'pays at the hospital' while you are there, id love to see it and buy it

Good point.  I was thinking about needing care from the ship's doctors.  I do have enough credit limit on my credit cards to cover local hospital stays, I think.

I invested in both NCL and outside Insurance. We also have regular insurance as well. All of this is so crazy. I wouldn’t go on a trip without some kind of insurance. I’m also sure someone has said it, but make sure if you do get outside insurance that is specifically covers Covid-19. A bunch don’t. I found only a small hand full that do. Make sure to read the small print, I’m not kidding.

4 minutes ago, SwimmingDragon said:

I invested in both NCL and outside Insurance. We also have regular insurance as well. All of this is so crazy. I wouldn’t go on a trip without some kind of insurance. I’m also sure someone has said it, but make sure if you do get outside insurance that is specifically covers Covid-19. A bunch don’t. I found only a small hand full that do. Make sure to read the small print, I’m not kidding.

Yeah, that is what I want to be sure is covered.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lynelz1 said:

Good point.  I was thinking about needing care from the ship's doctors.  I do have enough credit limit on my credit cards to cover local hospital stays, I think.

Foreign doctors and hospitals aren't going to wait for payment, only to find that the patient's insurance doesn't pay anything and then have to track the patient down in a foreign country.

Same with the cruise ship.

And medical is one thing, trip cancellation/medical evacuation is another cost entirely.  We had an experience where a diver in our group got the bends, had to be helicoptered to another city, then spent several days for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.  The rest of the group incurred hotel and meal expenses which the additional insurance substantially covered.