First Alaska cruise tour

cruiselvr04

We are planning a July 2022 cruise tour starting in Fairbanks.  I have no experience with one way tickets here and have no idea what is a good price. Delta is open and has a refundable airfare of about $400 pp for economy.  It only has a layover in Minneapolis ( several hours).  I’m thinking since it’s not overnight we can be uncomfortable in economy and save the money for excursions.   None of the flights get in before 8:30 pm but we are in Fairbanks 2 nights and the tour doesn’t start until the next a.m. so I’m thinking the timing is okay.  We don’t need to fly in a day early for a cruise tour right?

For those with experience is this a reasonable price?

I’ll wait to book the return because if Canada doesn’t open next year I’m betting the cruise will skip a port and return to Seattle instead.  Plus those Vancouver/ Seattle flights are more plentiful and typically not as expensive. I have not checked cruise air with Royal but I don’t want multiple legs or risky short layovers.  Advice appreciated.

Airfares are in a tremendous state of flux right now. What has been charged in the past may not be relevant at all...it typically isn't, and this might an even better illustration of lack of relevancy. 

If you have been watching airfares for a month or two, you should have some idea of the range. Find a price you can live with, buy, and don't look back.

Explanation of flight timings:  Most of the long-haul flights on airlines other than Alaska tend to arrive in the evening - this is to match with a late (midnight-ish) return departure to the lower 48.  Those then connect to ongoing morning flights from the hubs.

As for price:  The good news is that most airlines have eliminated change fees, except for their basic economy fares.  So you can buy a ticket and change if you see a price drop that makes it worthwhile.  Also, watch for what you mean by "refundable".  Is that refundable in the form of a credit, or refundable in the form of refund to your original payment?  I know that DL is now offering a higher-priced ticket that offers the latter -- IMO, that's only good if you A) believe the trip will be totally cancelled and B) that you won't get to use the credit in the future.

On the return:  You can easily book at Vancouver-USA ticket and if you get rerouted to Seattle, change the ticket per the no-change-fee option mentioned above.  Be sure to check airline rules.

39 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are planning a July 2022 cruise tour starting in Fairbanks.  I have no experience with one way tickets here and have no idea what is a good price. Delta is open and has a refundable airfare of about $400 pp for economy.  It only has a layover in Minneapolis ( several hours).  I’m thinking since it’s not overnight we can be uncomfortable in economy and save the money for excursions.   None of the flights get in before 8:30 pm but we are in Fairbanks 2 nights and the tour doesn’t start until the next a.m. so I’m thinking the timing is okay.  We don’t need to fly in a day early for a cruise tour right?

For those with experience is this a reasonable price?

I’ll wait to book the return because if Canada doesn’t open next year I’m betting the cruise will skip a port and return to Seattle instead.  Plus those Vancouver/ Seattle flights are more plentiful and typically not as expensive. I have not checked cruise air with Royal but I don’t want multiple legs or risky short layovers.  Advice appreciated.

Flying in a day early depends on what you want to do on your arrival day. If all you want to do is check in, grab a meal, and get some sleep, then no need to arrive early. If, on the other hand, you want to do some sightseeing or book an excursion, you may indeed wish to arrive a day early.

We plan to do the latter on our June 2022 cruisetour, so we are flying in a day earlier.