If SE 17TH ST isn't for you........

O'S GRANDMA

I rarely post a message on the boards but I love to read them and have received wonderul advice here. And at the risk of offending those who have given such great advice and encouragement to staying on SE 17TH, I want to offer up an alternative to those who go to Florida not just for the cruise experience but for the fun of being in the sunshine in a lovely watery city.

My husband and I are from Massachusetts, in our mid fifties, not wealthy, and try to cruise every other year if we can afford to. We always try to come down 2 days ahead of time just to enjoy Ft Lauderdale. We have always stayed at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas for a number of reasons.

Most importantly, it's what makes being in Fort Lauderdale different than being in just any beach city. The water taxi stops right at the hotel by the outside heated pool, so not only can we swim and sit by the pool and watch the boats go by, we can get to the beach and restaurants in minutes in a fun, enjoyable way. It makes the "getting there" fun, not just the "being there." Some years we have rented a car, traveled to the Everglades or up to the Henry Flagler museum ( find out how one man with a vision built a railroad and developed Florida as we know it)

It's also staying in a place that is a part of the real history of Fort Lauderdale and the Los Olas shopping, riverfront walk and museum area gives you something to do while catching the suns rays at the same time.

And my husband wouldn't be happy without his yearly fix at Cheeburger Cheeburger!

It may not be for everyone, but it makes the start of our vacation just as much fun as the cruise itself! And we all know how much fun the cruise is!

:) Hi, great thread!!!

You are correct.....it is a great alternative to 17th Street.

I usually get a hotel on 17th but end up taking the water taxi over

to Las Olas every time:D One of these days I will just get a room

at the Riverside!

Gotta love those restaurants and shops.....it is such a fun and

funky area!!!

Archived