Schengen rules

Hadleighhound

As a UK citizen  I am allowed to visit Schengen countries without applying for special visa. I am planning o cruise to Canary Islands in Feb 22 

Will my 12 days count towards my 90 in 180 allowance. I want to visit Spain for 80 days in April 22. will my cruise impact t this visit , ae passports stamped on a cruise/

From where does your cruise originate - within Schengen?

If 80 days in April you’re still within 90 days for April visit and 180 total for 2022.

just as an additional note - be aware of the ETIAS Visa requirements expected by end of 2022.

Edited by hallasm

So lets say your cruise starts in Southampton on the 1st February. Your first 2 days are at Sea then you arrive in a port in Portugal. The day you arrive in Portugal is day 1 of your 90, not the first 2 days at sea. You then spend a couple of days at sea heading towards the Canary Islands, these days at sea are counted towards your 90 days. If your cruise ends in, lets say Gran Canaria on day 12, and you fly back to the UK on the same day, your passport will be stamped and you will have used up 10 days of your 90. If you fly back to the UK 2 days after the cruise you will have used up 12 days of your 90.

10 hours ago, Hadleighhound said:

thanks for comments. planned cruise starts and ends Southampton, so probably 12 days in schengen zone waters.  anyone been on similar cruise that can tell me if passport is actually stamped

Then from the day you arrive in the first Schengen port to the day you depart the last Schengen port.

My passport frequently not stamped - but I've not travelled to Europe since Brexit

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

But even if your passport isn't stamped,  wouldn't the ship give a passenger manifest to the authorities in each port, so that, theoretically each passenger's information would be logged ?

Yes, that's one of the unknowns. 

Another is whether passports are scanned - at airports they're scanned in front of you, on cruise ships they may be collected by the crew for immigration to go thro them at leisure. Will they be scanned at that time? That's another of the unknowns.

Hence, stick to the rules. 

JB 🙂

• 5 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, Hadleighhound said:

As a UK citizen  I am allowed to visit Schengen countries without applying for special visa. I am planning o cruise to Canary Islands in Feb 22 

Will my 12 days count towards my 90 in 180 allowance. I want to visit Spain for 80 days in April 22. will my cruise impact t this visit , ae passports stamped on a cruise/

Hi did that cruise in November, from reading Schengen rules, international waters are still in Schengen. Passport being stamped has no bearing as its done electronically, the ship do all that with the relevant authorities.  Tried and tried and tried to get a response from P and O. Asked on the ship no one knew, emailed 3 times rang on phone for 45 mins no answer.  Perhaps if you rang a shipping company like Holland America someone would help,  let me know if you find out as we are in Spain at the moment and having to cut it short by 2 weeks.  Best of luck. 
regards Sheila

Too late for the OP as I only now noticed they were sailing last month, but for anyone else reading this thread, this may be helpful

I found this on a list of Schengen countries:

The Azores, Madeira, and the Canary Islands are special members of the EU and part of the Schengen Zone even though they are located outside the European continent.

Edited by edinburgher