MSC Lack of Morals and Ethics

rbpd1176

Since I mentioned Celebrity, I'll mention one more situation with some similarities.

I had a family sunset veranda, or something like that (forget the exact name) booked.  It was in a terrific location and was huge.  There were only 2 or 4 (I think) on the ship, as it had a unique layout and configuration.

Celebrity chartered that sailing out for a Rock and Roll private cruise and all reservations, including mine, were cancelled.

I got a call promptly from Celebrity Cruises.

Celebrity "Hi, stockjock, this is David from Celebrity Cruises.  I wanted to let you know that unfortunately we chartered out the entire ship and we've had to cancel all reservations, including yours".

Me: "That kind of sucks".

Celebrity: "We do apologize.  It's not something we like to do, but when the entire ship is chartered, there's not a lot we can do about that.  But here's what we've done.  I've reserved the same cabin on a similar sailing on a different, but similar date.  That cruise is more expensive, but your pricing will not change.  Let me know if this works for you, and if not, I'll try to find another solution".

Me: "Looks like the timing does not work.  But I see one that might".

Celebrity: "Unfortunately, those larger veranda cabins are sold out on the sailing that you're looking at, but I can book you very nice mid-ship veranda for a lower price and offer you $300 in onboard credit, plus, I'll give you a dining credit so that you can enjoy one of our specialty restaurants for the inconvenience".

I took that offer.  I think that's the way to handle these situations.  With a personal touch and to try to keep your customers informed and happy.

When I write things like this, I often see comments like, "If you like Celebrity so much, why don't you just book Celebrity".  Well, my next 2 cruises are on Celebrity and the one after that on MSC.  But I would like to see them clean up their customer service a lot, and I don't think it would really be all that hard to do.  

There are things to like about MSC, or I wouldn't sail on them, but there are also areas for improvement.  Hopefully, they periodically take customer comments into account so that they may offer an even better product, which is likely in their own best interest as well as in the best interest of their customers.

If anyone is interested, here's the free specialty dinner that we enjoyed.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

No, I did not.

As it stands and is evident by the tickets is that I still have a YC booking so until proper notification in accordance with the terms and conditions is provided in writing, there is no reason to ask for a refund.

Understood. Honestly, like I said before, I would ask for a refund and not go. Why set yourself up for a bad vacation?

Not sure if you've ever watched Dave Chappelle, but he had a recurring skit called When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong.

Google it if you haven't seen it 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Since I mentioned Celebrity, I'll mention one more situation with some similarities.

I had a family sunset veranda, or something like that (forget the exact name) booked.  It was in a terrific location and was huge.  There were only 2 or 4 (I think) on the ship.

Celebrity chartered that sailing out for a Rock and Roll private cruise and all reservations, including mine, were cancelled.

I got a call promptly from Celebrity cruises.

Celebrity "Hi, stockjock, this is David from Celebrity cruises.  I wanted to let you know that unfortunately we chartered out the entire ship and we've had to cancel all reservations including yours".

Me: "That kind of sucks".

Celebrity: "It's not something we like to do, but when the entire ship is chartered, there's not a lot we can do about that.  But here's what we've done.  I've reserved the same cabin on a sailing on a different, but similar date.  That cruise is more expensive, but your pricing will not change.  Let me know if this works for you, and if not, I'll try to find another solution".

Me: "Looks like the timing does not work.  But I see one that might".

Celebrity: "Unfortunately, those larger veranda cabins are sold out, but I can book you mid-ship for a lower price and offer you $300 on board credit, please I'll give you credit for one of our specialty restaurants for the inconvenience".

I took that offer.  I think that's the way to handle these situations.  With a personal touch and to try to keep your customers informed and happy.

When I write things like this, I often see comments like, "If you like Celebrity so much, why don't you just book Celebrity".  Well, my next 2 cruises are on Celebrity and the one after that on MSC.  But I would like to see them clean up their customer service a lot, and I don't think it would really be all that hard to do.  There are things to like about MSC, or I wouldn't sail on them, but there are also areas for improvement and hopefully they periodically take customer comments into account so that they may offer an even better product.

I think you've summed up the MSC conundrum quite perfectly. If they only did things like this, they would corner the market in a heartbeat. It's really unfortunate you have to wade through all of the crappy customer service to get to the finished product.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

With respect to waiting a month or more to tell customers about changes, I had a recent cruise that was cancelled in October 2020.  But they assured me and those others booked that it wasn't cancelled at all.  Then, they said we'd be automatically moved into new, similar sailing at no extra charge.  Finally, in June 2021, 9 months later, they admitted that it had been cancelled last October.

Contrast that to Celebrity.  They cancelled an upcoming sailing.  Put me into a longer cruise (1 day longer) on a better ship, same cabin number, with a better itinerary.  This all occurred seamlessly.  They told me about the change and said to contact them if there were any concerns.  No need to contact them, as it was a definite step up from what I had.  Pricing didn't change either.

That’s the benefit of paying much more for a cruise. 
Our Celebrity cruises have cost us thousands $ more (not hundreds more) than what we’ve paid for our MSC cruise. 

I’ve sailed on MSC one time in 2019 and we have one coming up this November.

I guess so far I’ve been lucky as far as customer service and we loved our cruise in 2019 out of Civitevecchia  (they upgraded us for free to the YC the day before we sailed) can’t complain about that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Understood. Honestly, like I said before, I would ask for a refund and not go. Why set yourself up for a bad vacation?

🙂

I am unfortunately unable to answer that question at the point where I am with this particular issue.

As far as we are concerned, lacking any written notice, this is just a regular cruise. They are more than welcome to cancel me in writing if they have a full ship charter.

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

With respect to waiting a month or more to tell customers about changes, I had a recent cruise that was cancelled in October 2020.  But they assured me and those others booked that it wasn't cancelled at all.  Then, they said we'd be automatically moved into new, similar sailing at no extra charge.  Finally, in June 2021, 9 months later, they admitted that it had been cancelled last October.

Contrast that to Celebrity.  They cancelled an upcoming sailing.  Put me into a longer cruise (1 day longer) on a better ship, same cabin number, with a better itinerary.  This all occurred seamlessly.  They told me about the change and said to contact them if there were any concerns.  No need to contact them, as it was a definite step up from what I had.  Pricing didn't change either.

We had same thing. Had 12 night booked for Mediterranean for next year. They cancelled one we were on and moved us to a qty cabin on a 7 night cruise which was about $900 cheaper they had not corrected price or even bothered to contact us to let us know. I contacted then after a month they pretty much said Oh well, cancel rebook on another ship (at new higher rates) or kept what we gave you. I was someone taken back by the poor handling of the situation. But I did as they suggested I cancelled and rebooked a Royal Caribbean ship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I booked a Grand Suite and the Deluxe suites are more than twice the size of a regular balcony cabin.

The Grand suite is 40% larger than the YC deluxe so a huge difference. Even if they gave me 2 balcony cabins, it would still not be the same size.

Another thing we are losing is the butler, the direct access to the spa, easy access to the lounge, concierge ect. Lastly is its location up high in front away from the others.  I looked at the cabin location they have assigned me as YC  and its right above the Black and white lounge. So on a Salsa cruise above the lounge?

Lastly, price. I paid 3 times what I could have gotten that same category for. So I assume they must have done something. They may have turned deck 8 into YC????

I have 5 bookings fully paid with them, not counting this one,as well as 10 NCL sailings paid for as well thru 2023.

Just lift me to another sailing at no additional cost would be fine,they can even choose the dates as long as it don't conflict with my other sailings and cover any additional expenses that I now have outlaid and will continue to outlay. I have already started my effort to resolve this. 

Steve

Again thank you for the clarification on the room differences.  In the end I'm sure MSC will make it right,  Social media always helps.  

6 hours ago, alyssamma said:

🙂

Since I am in the same situation as Steve, let me bring up a few things that somewhat complicates the simplicity of your above statement.  Its not just a matter of canceling and getting my money back, but also effects my B2B in the same room.  Further, it totally screws up my flight arrangements, along with the arrangements for transportation that I have already made. Not to mention the vacation that we have  already put in for and got approved. Oh yes, and the added cost of the insurance for the B2B.  But most important is my over $ 3000 that they have in their possession.  Just how long do you think it will take to get that back??  Go back through the boards and you will find that MSC has a horrible track record of returning people money.  Curious, how long should we wait after cancelling to expect our refunds to come through?  They immediately took my money....think they will immediately refund my money??? I don't think so.

If I sound angry, you are correct I am. It was a simple problem that MSC totally created for themselves.  It could have easily been solved but with the totally useless customer service dept, and their apparent "I could care less about how I treat my customers attitude" it has now become a bigger issue. 

Furthermore telling me that although I paid for and had a confirmation from them on the bigger room, in the actual YC that I will have to settle for a much smaller balcony room NOT even in the YC......and oh yes.....for the same price of course.  They have made no effort to fix their mistake or to even try to make good on it.  Actually had it not been for these boards I would have had no idea what was going on, because I have not received any correspondence from them regarding what happened.  I just wonder how many others may find themselves a bit surprised when they get their documents or arrive at the ship.

Will I probably cancel..probably but will I get my money back immediately or even in a timely manner.........FAT CHANCE!!!!

So you see one of the reasons I am airing this on the CC board is to make other people aware of just what a crappy company MSC  really is.

Edited by LadySpoilt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

Again thank you for the clarification on the room differences.  In the end I'm sure MSC will make it right,  Social media always helps.  

Downgrading my YC Grand suite  with out even an email is not right, but at least I still am YC on deck 8???

A Salsa cruise with out telling me is not right.

I am sure they will not make it right, which is why I already have someone who will handle it from here on for me.

Steve

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LadySpoilt said:

Since I am in the same situation as Steve, let me bring up a few things that somewhat complicates the simplicity of your above statement.  Its not just a matter of canceling and getting my money back, but also effects my B2B in the same room.  Further, it totally screws up my flight arrangements, along with the arrangements for transportation that I have already made. Not to mention the vacation that we have  already put in for and got approved. Oh yes, and the added cost of the insurance for the B2B.  But most important is my over $ 3000 that they have in their possession.  Just how long do you think it will take to get that back??  Go back through the boards and you will find that MSC has a horrible track record of returning people money.  Curious, how long should we wait after cancelling to expect our refunds to come through?  They immediately took my money....think they will immediately refund my money??? I don't think so.

If I sound angry, you are correct I am. It was a simple problem that MSC totally created for themselves.  It could have easily been solved but with the totally useless customer service dept, and their apparent "I could care less about how I treat my customers attitude" it has now become a bigger issue. 

Furthermore telling me that although I paid for and had a confirmation from them on the bigger room, in the actual YC that I will have to settle for a much smaller balcony room NOT even in the YC......and oh yes.....for the same price of course.  They have made no effort to fix their mistake or to even try to make good on it.  Actually had it not been for these boards I would have had no idea what was going on, because I have not received any correspondence from them regarding what happened.  I just wonder how many others may find themselves a bit surprised when they get their documents or arrive at the ship.

Will I probably cancel..probably but will I get my money back immediately or even in a timely manner.........FAT CHANCE!!!!

So you see one of the reasons I am airing this on the CC board is to make other people aware of just what a crappy company MSC  really is.

I don't think anything you said in this thread has surprised anyone. All of the readers here know about MSC customer service.

And yes, I *do* understand the issues you said above (true, I didn't know about the B2B, but you've said the rest and obviously you would have to get time off approved).

My response wasn't a "simple" statement. The reality is, as you have admitted over and over again, you're pissed. So you have 2 choices...go and spend $X to have a crappy time, or *not* go and save your money, get your vacation time back, etc.

You may think of this as "simple" because there are 2 choices, but really it is more subtle than that. You see, there are 100 things that could have put you in a similar situation. You, or a traveling companion could get covid. You could miss your flights. You could have an accident, or someone close to you could get very sick.

Hopefully *none* of those things happen, but they all *can* happen. Anyone who travels has a non-zero chance of having their vacation canceled. What they do next is the important part...and that is what makes your choice not as simple as it may seem. Myself and others here have had similar things happen...we get it...we just don't react in the same way.

You mention MSC refunds...this was back in the covid days. They are much better now. I cancelled 2 cruises in Aug and got refunds in 3 weeks for one and 4 weeks for the other. And yes, that isn't "instantaneous", but certainly within company norms for a refund.

I also suggested you call - and continue to call until you get someone who can help you - customer service. It might take a dozen calls...but if this is something that's important to you, then do it. I've called MSC 5-6 times for minor things (like missing $50 OBC) until I got a rep who could help me. Is it a pain to do? Yep. But I understand this the price I pay for doing business with MSC. Myself, and many others, are happy to do it because of the service we get onboard.

That being said, I am guessing you didn't go that route.

Above you admit you'll probably cancel...so do that. You repeatedly airing your grievances here is actually doing the *opposite* of what you think.

Take the refund, plan another vacation - I'm guessing not on MSC - and try to find some happiness in all of this.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LadySpoilt said:

Thanks Stockjock and Styles27 regarding your posts about refunds.  That is at least one bright spot in the mess!!

Actually 2 bright spots in my day...just found out I was upgraded on my Celebrity cruise!

Awesome! Enjoy!

I was thinking about your b2b situation is there any way you could change the week of the salsa cruise to the week before your 10/17 cruise?

Just now, styles27 said:

Awesome! Enjoy!

I was thinking about your b2b situation is there any way you could change the week of the salsa cruise to the week before your 10/17 cruise?

Thanks styles27.  I had considered that but I think its a 4 day.  And MSC apparently says that you can change but you will have to pay any additional charges.

Notice I said "apparently" as I have had no emails or anything from MCS.  I have contacted them  via phone and emails several times.  The phone results go the same way...explain what is happening, and they assure you that they will call back first think in the morning..still waiting on that call back which was supposed to have happened on Tuesday.  Another phone call was assured that I would have a call within 48 to 72 hours.  Way past 72 hours and still waiting on that one.

Emails get you a very canned response...you should be getting an email explaining the options.  They do however go a little further and give you a very canned response to the 3/4 days reservations.  That they can go on the 7 day and they will upgrade them to a balcony cabin.  But no response or acknowledgement regarding the options for 7 days booked cruisers who had already booked and paid for balcony or better cabins.  

1 hour ago, LadySpoilt said:

Thanks styles27.  I had considered that but I think its a 4 day.  And MSC apparently says that you can change but you will have to pay any additional charges.

Notice I said "apparently" as I have had no emails or anything from MCS.  I have contacted them  via phone and emails several times.  The phone results go the same way...explain what is happening, and they assure you that they will call back first think in the morning..still waiting on that call back which was supposed to have happened on Tuesday.  Another phone call was assured that I would have a call within 48 to 72 hours.  Way past 72 hours and still waiting on that one.

Emails get you a very canned response...you should be getting an email explaining the options.  They do however go a little further and give you a very canned response to the 3/4 days reservations.  That they can go on the 7 day and they will upgrade them to a balcony cabin.  But no response or acknowledgement regarding the options for 7 days booked cruisers who had already booked and paid for balcony or better cabins.  

Ugh what a mess. 
I have to admit I didn’t know until we went on our Mediterranean cruise with MSC that they sell all of these 3 & 4 day itineraries during the 7 day sailings and the 7 days can be part of a longer itinerary. 

I was used to being on a cruise with the same people from beginning to end (except long itineraries) it’s just so confusing and I really wonder if it’s more lucrative to do it that way 

Seems like a lot more paperwork and customer service is needed and obviously they haven’t gotten a handle on that aspect at all. 

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Ugh what a mess. 
I have to admit I didn’t know until we went on our Mediterranean cruise with MSC that they sell all of these 3 & 4 day itineraries during the 7 day sailings and the 7 days can be part of a longer itinerary. 

I was used to being on a cruise with the same people from beginning to end (except long itineraries) it’s just so confusing and I really wonder if it’s more lucrative to do it that way 

Seems like a lot more paperwork and customer service is needed and obviously they haven’t gotten a handle on that aspect at all. 

European cruises are even more complicated than that as people will embark/disembark on multiple ports. So you might have a 7 day W Med cruise and every day new people are getting on and others are getting off.

I think in Europe that makes a lot of sense because it allows people to fly to the port less.

In the Caribbean they'll also combine 2 7-day cruises into a single 14 day cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, alyssamma said:

European cruises are even more complicated than that as people will embark/disembark on multiple ports. So you might have a 7 day W Med cruise and every day new people are getting on and others are getting off.

I think in Europe that makes a lot of sense because it allows people to fly to the port less.

In the Caribbean they'll also combine 2 7-day cruises into a single 14 day cruise.

Yes that was our experience. The first morning when we woke up I was seeing people with suitcases getting off the ship   
I didn’t know what was happening lol 

Then as the cruise went on each night we saw luggage in the halls or actually near the concierge desk in the YC so I asked what was happening and that’s when he explained how their cruises work in the Mediterranean/Europe. 

It was definitely strange. To us at least.  lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, kidless said:

We had same thing. Had 12 night booked for Mediterranean for next year. They cancelled one we were on and moved us to a qty cabin on a 7 night cruise which was about $900 cheaper they had not corrected price or even bothered to contact us to let us know. I contacted then after a month they pretty much said Oh well, cancel rebook on another ship (at new higher rates) or kept what we gave you. I was someone taken back by the poor handling of the situation. But I did as they suggested I cancelled and rebooked a Royal Caribbean ship. 

We were  on same cruise.

The only reason we knew something had changed was our RollCall.

We had YC Executive Suite for the 12 night. Now, 7 night, usual Mediterranean circuit. Our cabin listed as guaranteed.

No notice from MSC or TA.  Our contract is for thousands more than YC 

Deluxe Suites . 
We will deal with this one later….hoping for better itineraries to post next year.

we are more concerned that our cruises will sail this fall.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phissy said:

We were  on same cruise.

We had YC Executive Suite for the 12 night. Now, 7 night, usual Mediterranean circuit. Our cabin listed as guaranteed.

Deluxe Suites . 
We will deal with this one later….hoping for better itineraries to post next year.

I think this is the *exact* attitude to have about this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, deliver42 said:
4 hours ago, phissy said:

We were  on same cruise.

Deluxe Suites . 

We had a really great price on the 12 night still significantly higher then the 7 day they stuck us on.  MSC never contacted us and when I called them to inquire as to what was going on I was basically told it is what it is. Keep it or cancel & rebook. So I found a great deal on a suite with another cruise line so I cancelled and rebook. I believe as covid wains and people get back to cruising we will see a large jump in cruise pricing. They need to off set the 25% extra on FCC’s and make some money. So I didn't want to wait to see what happens. Both my fall cruise still look good! Divine Yacht club in 20 days but whose counting!!! 😊 

6 hours ago, styles27 said:

Our friends were supposed to come on Divina with us in November  but they’re older (late 70’s) and nervous about Covid so they cancelled and had their money back in 5 days. 
MSC has gotten better with refunds now. 

I cancelled my Mediterranean cruise that they actually cancelled and moved my money to a 7 day. I was told it will take 90 days.....its been about 30 no refund yet! 

9 minutes ago, kidless said:

I cancelled my Mediterranean cruise that they actually cancelled and moved my money to a 7 day. I was told it will take 90 days.....its been about 30 no refund yet! 

So they owe you the difference in price from the moved cruise?

Our friends completely cancelled (they did lose the cost of the insurance) which I told them they should do a FCC but they seem to be of the mind that their traveling days are over. 

Edited by styles27

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

So they owe you the difference in price from the moved cruise?

Our friends completely cancelled (they did lose the cost of the insurance) which I told them they should do a FCC but they seem to be of the mind that their traveling days are over. 

We completely cancelled. They had moved us from a 12 day cruise to a seven day, leaving on a different day going to different ports. Who does that? And failed to notify us or offer any help. So we want complete refund booked a Royal Caribbean cruise instead. 

• Like 2