Haven Cost

roger001

1 minute ago, newty25 said:

No need to fret. H1 is a higher class of room than the H5 and the prices would reflect that accordingly.

But, if I were required to do something, I would send you into Oxo timeout. 🙂

K, I promise to b good later on. When does later on begin? 

Stay Safe! 

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, ECCruise said:

Everyone has their own level of comfort when making pricing decisions, obviously.

In our case, I can't even conceive of spending $1000 (or more) per day for any suite, Haven or otherwise...

If we had to pay that kind of dough, we would be staying in 5 star hotels and eating in Michelin starred restaurants.  Which can be done many, many places worldwide for that kind of $$$$.

To each their own. It always makes me chuckle when Haven pricing debates pop up and folks run to the notion that once you start to pay beyond 'x' amount of money you should just switch to a luxury line instead. At this point in my life I have zero interest in sailing on a luxury line.

We're t-shirts and shorts type of vacationers - we were considering staying in our cabin on this most recent RCC trip during formal night just to avoid the glares from people dressed up who disapproved of our own personal attire, as if it was a personal attack on them somehow.

The difference between a 3 and 5 star hotel is usually just the amenities they have to offer. It's not based on guest ratings. If I have zero interest in using their spa or gym, why should I pay for the higher star hotel just because I can afford it? 

Same thing with restaurants - again, I have zero interest in eating in Michelin star places. I've got the palette of a 7 yr old and had no shame asking for the kids mac & cheese as my appetizer on the last night of our cruise in the MDR.

When we sail in suites it's because we enjoy the bigger space in our room. We like having a place to go back to that is all ours to relax, unwind, and do what we want dressed (or un) how we want. Other people view their cabin as a place to sleep and shower - so for them it's a waste to spend the money on a big room when they'll never be in it.

Isn't it great to have options so we can all do what is best for us?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Same thing with restaurants - again, I have zero interest in eating in Michelin star places. I've got the palette of a 7 yr old and had no shame asking for the kids mac & cheese as my appetizer on the last night of our cruise in the MDR.

I am already ashamed of you. I've got the much more sophisticated palate of a nine year old and would never order the kids mac & cheese, unless it was made in the soul food style.  However, I vehemently agree with you; to each his own. When the OP stated at a certain price, there were lots of michelin rated restaurants and 5 star hotels available, another might say: "Yeah, but those are not necessarily floating hotels that take you from destination to destination, that have your entertainment 5 minutes away, etc."

Well folks, I think this topic has been well answered.  It has all the flavors of a great ice cream shop in the recommendations, advice and answers it has given.  It was in a true sense the reason why folks come to CruiseCritic.com for due diligence.  Congrats to all whom participated.  

I am in the final days of my upcoming cruise. This is were I look at all the crazy, insane, over the top and worthless preparation I have done four time previously for four cancelled cruises.  Then I put it into a multi-page document digitally to give to my family.  THEY do no planning at all.  THEY pay no attention to details. THEY complain when things are not right. and THEY start asking obvious questions like when is our cruise, about NOW!.  

I give them the PDF copy of the book I compile and say, "Time to read it and if you try to change something, feel free to go on your own cruise!"  Sound a bit harsh, well.  My opinion is simple. Know how to approach your cruise and do what ever planning your past cruise experience has taught you that you needed now.  Approach a cruise as if it is an All-Inclusive Vacation so what ever you can pay for, PAY IT.  The moment your Uber Driver picks you up to go to the airport, state these words and mean it.

"I am on vacation.

I will not make any more decisions. 

If you don't like something, maybe you should have participated in the decision making process. 

Read the book I did for you and see you at the end of our journey. 

Hope you join me, I will be having a BALL!!!!"

I will now leave this tread to the many whom are better at it then I. 

Enjoy which ever cabin you have. Cruise well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

THEY do no planning at all.  THEY pay no attention to details. THEY complain when things are not right. and THEY start asking obvious questions like when is our cruise, about NOW!.  

Can you assure me, and I mean with 100% certainty, that we do not have the exact same wife and kids?

• Haha 3

@Sthrngary - I'm the planner and packer in our group, down to colored folders and everything. Its typically sorted by air/land/sea or if it's a multi-part trip across different cities/countries they'll be grouped that way. I've got a ballpark packing guide for warm weather trips and cold weather ones and just adjust the counts based on days away and availability of laundry facilities.

Hubby always laughs at me when I prepare them a few nights before we leave. Then when we're in line waiting to pass to the next phase of the journey he's the first one to say "oh, that was so easy - good thing we had your folders."

If we're traveling in a group, we've long given up on trying to please everyone. We figure out what we want to do and when we want to do it, and just share the info. If anyone wants to join us they're always welcome. If they don't, well they're all adults and can use Google Maps and Seamless just as easy as I can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

@Sthrngary - I'm the planner and packer in our group, down to colored folders and everything. Its typically sorted by air/land/sea or if it's a multi-part trip across different cities/countries they'll be grouped that way. I've got a ballpark packing guide for warm weather trips and cold weather ones and just adjust the counts based on days away and availability of laundry facilities.

I only do the planning for our cruises because I'm anal-retentive and a big kid, so I'll gladly do all the preparation. The only exception being for our very first cruise, back in 1997.  My wife dragged me,... kicking, biting, and screaming onto our first cruise ship. I couldn't understand why we were spending so much money to be on a boat for a week. I then proceeded to have the best week of my entire life, and I have dragged my wife onto 33 more cruises (and to be clear, it's all her fault, so it serves her right), with 1 more coming soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hubby always laughs at me when I prepare them a few nights before we leave. Then when we're in line waiting to pass to the next phase of the journey he's the first one to say "oh, that was so easy - good thing we had your folders."

If we're traveling in a group, we've long given up on trying to please everyone. We figure out what we want to do and when we want to do it, and just share the info. If anyone wants to join us they're always welcome. If they don't, well they're all adults and can use Google Maps and Seamless just as easy as I can. 

My wife and daughter (and all our family and friends) depend upon me for the planning of all vacations and I'm ok with it. Lmao. All reservations and excursions run through me.

I don't have colored folders but I do have my own system.

You mention traveling in a group and that's why, once again, I won't be in the Haven for my January sailing on Joy and why it will always be hard for me to choose to stay there.

For years I've chosen the cruise I want to go on with my wife and daughter and then my wife let's all of our family and friends know what we're doing and that all are welcome to join.

This inevitably leads to us having anywhere from 7 to 30 people in our group.

Our January Joy sailing currently has 11 of us going and that includes my nephew and his friend.

They can't afford to stay in Haven and that's the dig because my wife wants to be near and with everyone in our group and she would never stay separate in the Haven. So none of us stay there and, to be quite honest, I'm totally ok with it. We've never gone with a group that 100% wants to or can stay in the Haven or any private area on the various cruise lines/ships.

The money we save is substantial and, because of the planning I do and research right here at cc, we are always very familiar with the ship we're sailing on and how to maximize our experience.

We're ok with the hustle and bustle on a beautiful sea day and my wife is a professional people watcher/listener (lol) so she's totally fine being amongst the masses on a full cruise ship.

I can't stress enough how much help I get planning for our trips right here on the forums. It has allowed us to avoid so many of the typical pitfalls of cruising.

I'm sure at some point we'll pick a cruise and nobody will join and then, maybe, we'll book Haven and see if it's for us. We've loved every cruise that we've been on and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

95 days till Joy!!

9 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

All reservations and excursions run through me.

I apologize in advance, but I think I'm going to steal this line from you when I address my group...

I think if I say this in the appropriate tone, it would sound almost "Breaking Bad - like" because the implication would be that "I am the one who knocks!".

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I apologize in advance, but I think I'm going to steal this line from you when I address my group...

I think if I say this in the appropriate tone, it would sound almost "Breaking Bad - like" because the implication would be that "I am the one who knocks!".

Lol!!

I totally give permission.

WW

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

What is Seamless? Is it an app?

9 minutes ago, caitlynambrai said:

What is Seamless? Is it an app?

From google: Seamless, formerly known as Seamless Web, is a food delivery service that's part of the Grubhub brand. Offering an app and an online service, Seamless offers food from nearby cafes, restaurants, and popular fast food locations near your specific area for pick-up and for delivery.

First sorry to everyone for very late replies.  My Microsoft Edge was not allowing me to post on CruiseCritic.com.  I changed to Google Chrome and it works fine now.  Yes I am the Planner in my family and I do it for two reasons.

1. Everyone waits to the last minute: I can't life my life that way.  Since I get all the blame and none of the glory, I do the planning.
  2. I Like Getting Things Right From the Start:  It is a hobby.  I like it so I do it well.  

Below is a sample of my upcoming Table of Contents for my Journey Document.  This only goes to page 9.  The Journey Document has over 20 pages.  I am also giving your my rules to my family just because I think you will see the humor in it. You can ask me anything you want about it.  I hope it helps someone with their preparation

image.thumb.png.66ce62a250113990a791e326a351a635.png

Family Rules for this Cruise:

1.       Your Personal Attitude Matters:  I planned this family vacation over two (2) years ago. The cruises all got cancelled due to covid-19 four (4) times. In cruising, NOTHING ever goes perfectly. However, my planning controls many of the issues that might come up normally.

a.       If you don’t want to join the family doing something, don’t. 

b.       If you don’t feel well, stay in your cabin. 

c.       If we are out to dinner and you just want to leave, leave.

d.       If you are late to dinner, the rest of the family will leave and eat without you. We have hard to get reservation times.

e.       Don’t let your attitude effect the group.  Control your attitude or stay in your room.

2.       Charging/Purchases Pre-Cruise and in the Suite:

a.       DON’T do it for ANY reason, PERIOD. If I see a charge, I will take it out of your bank account. I spent enough on this vacation where you handle your own expenses.

b.       Excursions: Are prepaid and reserved. Any other excursion or activity like go carts or laser tag is on YOU!!!  If you choose not to go on an excursion, the money is lost.

c.       Sundries: DON’T buy them. Mom does her job very well pre-cruise because of the rip-off this stuff can be.

d.       Forgot Something, Want Something at the Airport or Want Something at the Hotel: It is on YOU! You use your credit card.

3.       Ship Phone, Cell Phone & Internet:

a.       The Ship Internet Plan:  I paid for three (3) device unlimited streaming plan. It is the best they have, and it sucks. It was also expense. The only person without a plan is Dad. 

b.       Your Mobile Phone: From the time you get on the ship, your phone must be on “Airplane Mode.  No exceptions. Use Facetime Audio or Video utilizing the internet.

4.       The Suite:

a.       The Haven is a VIP private area.  You can invite new friends to the Suite ONLY.

b.       You keep your dirty clothes in your laundry bag and not on the floor.

c.       Put your dirty towels in the corner of the bathroom floor to be replaces.

d.       The three bar bottles of spirits are not replaced. However, the soda, coffee in the room and waters are complementary. On previous cruises it would cost dearly. They will be refilled daily by the butler. Please do not waste.

e.       If you want to use mom and my huge bathroom, please ask first. Clean up afterwards.

f.        Keep your Haven Robes and Slippers away from others. If you lose it, they charge you.

5.       Haven Suite Food (Room Service from Butler):

a.       Do not over order, I hate food waste.

b.       Do not eat heavy before your dinner meal.

c.       Do not leave uneaten food on the floor. Call butler to have it picked up.

d.       Request ONLY foods from the Haven Restaurant, room service food sucks.

6.       Premium Drink Package (Perk): (Careful and follow the Package Rules provided in this document)

a.       Your drink can not exceed $15.00 with tax and tip.

b.       Your packages DOES NOT INCLUDE STARBUCKS from the STARBUCKS store!

c.       Do not order bottled water out of the suite, it is not included in your package. Mom and I can do so with our package ONLY.

d.       See section on the Premium Drink Package later in this Journey Document.

• Thanks 2

Personally everyone has their own way of doing things.  I am not trying to change your mode of operation. No pun intended.

I  ran a Directorate when in business, traveled and headed up  teams during my Government & civilian times. Even on IG teams,  never tried to detail to that low of a level. 

Your first page should contain all the info you ID. 

I use Excel Spreadsheet to do all of that on one page even with the ports of call Arrival & Departure Times.

Your other pages must be books.

Don't know how many people you travel with,  but I would hold a general meeting the day/night before with all hands on Deck. 

I know you don't start from scratch each time.  However, your book seems thicket than the Cruise line contract.

When we meet on the Joy, please bring your copy and I will bring mine. Maybe we can both learn to produce a better product.

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Personally everyone has their own way of doing things.  I am not trying to change your mode of operation. No pun intended.

I  ran a Directorate when in business, traveled and headed up  teams during my Government & civilian times. Even on IG teams,  never tried to detail to that low of a level. 

I use Excel Spreadsheet to do all of that on one page even with the ports of call Arrival & Departure Times.

Don't know how many people you travel with,  but I would hold a general meeting the day/night before with all hands on Deck. 

I know you don't start from scratch each time.  However, your book seems thicket than the Cruise line contract.

When we meet on the Joy, please bring your copy and I will bring mine. Maybe we can both learn to produce a better product.

Stay Safe! 

I thought about your post and processed your comments.  I can see why you would say that my journey document is longer than the cruise contract.  When push comes to shove, this book is my project and hobby.  The information is organized and described much more for me then for anyone else. I used to be a professional speaker.  When I presented a clients training, I would internalize it.  This allowed me to present it in such a way as it sounded like I wrote it.  

So when I do all this crazy work, I never need to look at the document again.  My family can now look at the table of contents, get their answers and move one. I can take the took with me to the ship and literally any discrepancy that comes up (Usually a couple happen every cruise) I have the documentation in one bonded book.  

My excel is a page at a glance and I will bet it is similar to yours.  I feel so much more confident about my arrangements and details allowing me to relax and be less stressed.  If I were to be honest with myself.  All this is my fear of making a mistake.  All I hope is it helps anyone with their trip whether they use some of it, or it helps them remember something important. 

See you all soon.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I thought about your post and processed your comments.  I can see why you would say that my journey document is longer than the cruise contract.  When push comes to shove, this book is my project and hobby.  The information is organized and described much more for me then for anyone else. I used to be a professional speaker.  When I presented a clients training, I would internalize it.  This allowed me to present it in such a way as it sounded like I wrote it.  

So when I do all this crazy work, I never need to look at the document again.  My family can now look at the table of contents, get their answers and move one. I can take the took with me to the ship and literally any discrepancy that comes up (Usually a couple happen every cruise) I have the documentation in one bonded book.  

My excel is a page at a glance and I will bet it is similar to yours.  I feel so much more confident about my arrangements and details allowing me to relax and be less stressed.  If I were to be honest with myself.  All this is my fear of making a mistake.  All I hope is it helps anyone with their trip whether they use some of it, or it helps them remember something important. 

See you all soon.

Thank you for accepting my comments and understanding them. I was a Professor in the USAF and thought Computer Science for years. I wrote many types of documents. I guess I tried to condense, as much as possible, due to the audience I was addressing. From the enlisted to General Officers.

I continued my experience in the Civilian sector, retail and financial disciplines. 

So, we must met and share our strengths.

Stay Safe!!

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Oxo said:

Stay Safe! 

Ok, I seriously love this and need a copy! I can picture myself doing this in a few years. (We have three boys under 6).  We leave next week for the Epic, sans children, for our anniversary.  Scored a DOS for less than what we normally pay for a balcony.  We had a haven suite booked last April, and 3 cancelled cruises later, we are finally going to experience the Haven for the first time!  I too have planned this for over 2 years!  Thank you for all the tips.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, Sthrngary said:

First sorry to everyone for very late replies.  My Microsoft Edge was not allowing me to post on CruiseCritic.com.  I changed to Google Chrome and it works fine now.  Yes I am the Planner in my family and I do it for two reasons.

1. Everyone waits to the last minute: I can't life my life that way.  Since I get all the blame and none of the glory, I do the planning.
  2. I Like Getting Things Right From the Start:  It is a hobby.  I like it so I do it well.  

Below is a sample of my upcoming Table of Contents for my Journey Document.  This only goes to page 9.  The Journey Document has over 20 pages.  I am also giving your my rules to my family just because I think you will see the humor in it. You can ask me anything you want about it.  I hope it helps someone with their preparation

image.thumb.png.66ce62a250113990a791e326a351a635.png

Family Rules for this Cruise:

1.       Your Personal Attitude Matters:  I planned this family vacation over two (2) years ago. The cruises all got cancelled due to covid-19 four (4) times. In cruising, NOTHING ever goes perfectly. However, my planning controls many of the issues that might come up normally.

a.       If you don’t want to join the family doing something, don’t. 

b.       If you don’t feel well, stay in your cabin. 

c.       If we are out to dinner and you just want to leave, leave.

d.       If you are late to dinner, the rest of the family will leave and eat without you. We have hard to get reservation times.

e.       Don’t let your attitude effect the group.  Control your attitude or stay in your room.

2.       Charging/Purchases Pre-Cruise and in the Suite:

a.       DON’T do it for ANY reason, PERIOD. If I see a charge, I will take it out of your bank account. I spent enough on this vacation where you handle your own expenses.

b.       Excursions: Are prepaid and reserved. Any other excursion or activity like go carts or laser tag is on YOU!!!  If you choose not to go on an excursion, the money is lost.

c.       Sundries: DON’T buy them. Mom does her job very well pre-cruise because of the rip-off this stuff can be.

d.       Forgot Something, Want Something at the Airport or Want Something at the Hotel: It is on YOU! You use your credit card.

3.       Ship Phone, Cell Phone & Internet:

a.       The Ship Internet Plan:  I paid for three (3) device unlimited streaming plan. It is the best they have, and it sucks. It was also expense. The only person without a plan is Dad. 

b.       Your Mobile Phone: From the time you get on the ship, your phone must be on “Airplane Mode.  No exceptions. Use Facetime Audio or Video utilizing the internet.

4.       The Suite:

a.       The Haven is a VIP private area.  You can invite new friends to the Suite ONLY.

b.       You keep your dirty clothes in your laundry bag and not on the floor.

c.       Put your dirty towels in the corner of the bathroom floor to be replaces.

d.       The three bar bottles of spirits are not replaced. However, the soda, coffee in the room and waters are complementary. On previous cruises it would cost dearly. They will be refilled daily by the butler. Please do not waste.

e.       If you want to use mom and my huge bathroom, please ask first. Clean up afterwards.

f.        Keep your Haven Robes and Slippers away from others. If you lose it, they charge you.

5.       Haven Suite Food (Room Service from Butler):

a.       Do not over order, I hate food waste.

b.       Do not eat heavy before your dinner meal.

c.       Do not leave uneaten food on the floor. Call butler to have it picked up.

d.       Request ONLY foods from the Haven Restaurant, room service food sucks.

6.       Premium Drink Package (Perk): (Careful and follow the Package Rules provided in this document)

a.       Your drink can not exceed $15.00 with tax and tip.

b.       Your packages DOES NOT INCLUDE STARBUCKS from the STARBUCKS store!

c.       Do not order bottled water out of the suite, it is not included in your package. Mom and I can do so with our package ONLY.

d.       See section on the Premium Drink Package later in this Journey Document.

Can I get a copy of that spreadsheet?

11 hours ago, jwdental360 said:

Can I get a copy of that spreadsheet?

Here is my excel travel template per your request.  It is not locked so you can adjust to your times, days and needs.  It is my Page-At-A-Glance.  This document becomes part of my much larger and detailed Journey document.  

I hope it helps you in a future trip.

Cruise well.

Cruise_Agenda_Template.xlsx

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:19 AM, Sthrngary said:

As my below signature states, I just did Crystal Cruises to the Bahamas out of Miami.    

All that sound fabulous doesn't it.  Then you get the entertainment which simply does not compare to NCL, Royal or Celebrity whom have much higher budgets.  Then you loose the live music on the main pool deck, games, or most anything that has a level of energy.  Finally you have some long time brand cruisers that make an ass out of themselves which was much more apparent because of the very low guest count.  

I was thinking about doing a Silverseas cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on their brand new ship Moon--then I saw your comment about the sedated experience and the ass---- on the lux lines and am having second thoughts.  My fear is that the 14 days on it will become boring (say starting at day 3) given the reduced entertainment choices.

The advantage that a smaller ship like the Moon offers is that it can go upriver to a port closer to Saigon, whereas large ships such as Celebrity have to dock 80 miles away at a commercial port.

10 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I was thinking about doing a Silverseas cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on their brand new ship Moon--then I saw your comment about the sedated experience and the ass---- on the lux lines and am having second thoughts.  My fear is that the 14 days on it will become boring (say starting at day 3) given the reduced entertainment choices.

The advantage that a smaller ship like the Moon offers is that it can go upriver to a port closer to Saigon, whereas large ships such as Celebrity have to dock 80 miles away at a commercial port.

OK, fair evaluation of my post.  Silverseas and all luxury brands have a group of very "Brand Loyal" folks.  Folks that think they are the "Brand Police".  This is not an issue.  You should not take this fact as a reason not to book.  These folks simply found a home.  A brand that suits them.  The folks on my cruise were the most brand loyal of them all.  The reason was the ship only had 225 out of 980 guests.  If the ship was filled, the atmosphere would have been a much better mix of new and old guest. 

I would highly recommend you  go and enjoy this experience.  If a situation comes up as it did for me, just walk away and don't let it effect your overall experience.  I hope that helps in some way.

Cruise well.

I absolutely love the attention to detail...

I remember my dad planning for a fly/drive around Tasmania with just my mum many years ago... I had a look at his planning and it started with.... after picking up hire car, turn left out of airport... then I knew I would never live up... 

Anyway, personally, as a teacher and someone who has planned and organised trips overseas for high school students (10 days in China, 10 days skiing in New Zealand and a Drama Workshop in New York) I am also the queen of detail... I have also moved countries 6 times in 12 years and the last few moved with a pug as well as luggage... that is a serious enterprise that requires a very detailed list of instructions/check lists/ photo copies and originals for immigration types and so on... the last trip we arrived in Seattle prior to our move to Canada and we had our fears confirmed they wouldn't let us in due to their covid restrictions for foreign travelers, so my fiance also joined us in Seattle. we left the pug with a friend and activated plan B (that was already detailed  and ready to go etc) and flew to Vegas, got married and returned to Seattle, picked up the pug and entered Canada legally... without having plan B it could have been a total nightmare, instead of a happy wedding in Elvis' pink caddie... 

For our upcoming cruise in December, I have it planned, I do it all and I am allowed to share one piece of information a day (max) so yesterday it was - how do you feel about using the spa if we upgraded to a spa balcony (when bidding starts next week)... before that I introduced him to the menu at O'Sheehan's (he loves his late night snacks even at home so I would expect him to be a regular there)... when I tried to start talking about MDR in general (oh - he is a first time cruiser compared to my dozen or so) he shut me down saying I was overwhelming him... I know even if I tell him, he will not remember and be excited when he discovers it for himself onboard... 

But, come 18 December when we get to the airport, I will have his passport, his covid test results and have done all the necessary checkins - all he has to do is carry the bags, and to me, that is the best sharing of jobs... (when I was a solo traveler I hated dragging my bags everywhere)...

See you all onboard one day...  

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I love your rules.  Luckily, I have only 1 daughter and she is as frugal (or even more) than her dad. We are going in Dec on the Breakaway in a 2 BR suite in the Haven (lucky due to a couple cancelled cruises and bumping up each time it was rescheduled). This will be a first for us but we do love hotels and other vacations on the nicer end. I am excited to have a place away from the crowds as we have never cruised on a ship so large. I expect there won't be the actual 4000 cruisers on the ship when we cruise but still that vast number can be intimidating. Especially after avoiding crowds for the past (nearly) 2 years. 
Without actually cruising yet, I think that the Haven can actually be worth it, if you are like me - low key, just want to lay back, read a book and have a drink without the noise. And enjoy good food. 

Even looking at booking another cruise for next fall - however, NCL Dawn does not have the Haven.  But it is a much smaller ship.  I think I can deal with half of the passengers. 

• Thanks 1