Haven Cost

roger001

53 minutes ago, tafawke said:

I absolutely love the attention to detail...

I remember my dad planning for a fly/drive around Tasmania with just my mum many years ago... I had a look at his planning and it started with.... after picking up hire car, turn left out of airport... then I knew I would never live up... 

Anyway, personally, as a teacher and someone who has planned and organised trips overseas for high school students (10 days in China, 10 days skiing in New Zealand and a Drama Workshop in New York) I am also the queen of detail... I have also moved countries 6 times in 12 years and the last few moved with a pug as well as luggage... that is a serious enterprise that requires a very detailed list of instructions/check lists/ photo copies and originals for immigration types and so on... the last trip we arrived in Seattle prior to our move to Canada and we had our fears confirmed they wouldn't let us in due to their covid restrictions for foreign travelers, so my fiance also joined us in Seattle. we left the pug with a friend and activated plan B (that was already detailed  and ready to go etc) and flew to Vegas, got married and returned to Seattle, picked up the pug and entered Canada legally... without having plan B it could have been a total nightmare, instead of a happy wedding in Elvis' pink caddie... 

For our upcoming cruise in December, I have it planned, I do it all and I am allowed to share one piece of information a day (max) so yesterday it was - how do you feel about using the spa if we upgraded to a spa balcony (when bidding starts next week)... before that I introduced him to the menu at O'Sheehan's (he loves his late night snacks even at home so I would expect him to be a regular there)... when I tried to start talking about MDR in general (oh - he is a first time cruiser compared to my dozen or so) he shut me down saying I was overwhelming him... I know even if I tell him, he will not remember and be excited when he discovers it for himself onboard... 

But, come 18 December when we get to the airport, I will have his passport, his covid test results and have done all the necessary checkins - all he has to do is carry the bags, and to me, that is the best sharing of jobs... (when I was a solo traveler I hated dragging my bags everywhere)...

See you all onboard one day...  

Yep, Yep and Yep.  The real reason we all do so much prep is for us.  We want to know the answers and have the plans (A, B, and C) in place.  It makes us feel less stressed.  We will never get the credit.  The reward is most everyone has a great time due to our planning.  

My only exception is when I am challenged about something that I have literally studied by a family member that has no idea.  That happened just today.  My wife was talking to her friend on the phone and complaining I am flying us on Friday, November 26, 2021 to Miami.  That is the day before the cruise.  it was her opinion this was one of the worst days ever to fly and put me down for the decision.  Mind you, this is the first time I have heard this complaint in two years and 37 days away.  

I then sent my wife four, that is right four articles on Friday, November 26, 2021 better know as black Friday; as a very good day to travel because most folks stay with their family over the weekend. I studied and knew all this for quite a while.  BUT I am the idiot. 

My suggestion is stop educating your husband.  What until he askes the questions and you become brilliant. The only reason we have all this great information is the mistakes we have made in the past.  

Cruise Well.

3 minutes ago, krittykat said:

I love your rules.  Luckily, I have only 1 daughter and she is as frugal (or even more) than her dad. We are going in Dec on the Breakaway in a 2 BR suite in the Haven (lucky due to a couple cancelled cruises and bumping up each time it was rescheduled). This will be a first for us but we do love hotels and other vacations on the nicer end. I am excited to have a place away from the crowds as we have never cruised on a ship so large. I expect there won't be the actual 4000 cruisers on the ship when we cruise but still that vast number can be intimidating. Especially after avoiding crowds for the past (nearly) 2 years. 
Without actually cruising yet, I think that the Haven can actually be worth it, if you are like me - low key, just want to lay back, read a book and have a drink without the noise. And enjoy good food. 

Even looking at booking another cruise for next fall - however, NCL Dawn does not have the Haven.  But it is a much smaller ship.  I think I can deal with half of the passengers. 

The bigger the ship, the more it seems like the same number of guests on a smaller ship.  I have gone on both very large ships which is my preference and smaller (luxury) ships.  On the crowns after two years of being home essentially.  These initial voyages will be 50% to 70% guests.  Yet no matter what I or anyone else says, that feeling of going from isolation to crowds of any size is not easy at all.  I just did it in August on a Crystal Cruise.  It took some getting used too.  

Enjoy your cruise and live for every moment.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

OK, fair evaluation of my post.  Silverseas and all luxury brands have a group of very "Brand Loyal" folks.  Folks that think they are the "Brand Police".  This is not an issue.  You should not take this fact as a reason not to book.  These folks simply found a home.  A brand that suits them.  The folks on my cruise were the most brand loyal of them all.  The reason was the ship only had 225 out of 980 guests.  If the ship was filled, the atmosphere would have been a much better mix of new and old guest. 

I would highly recommend you  go and enjoy this experience.  If a situation comes up as it did for me, just walk away and don't let it effect your overall experience.  I hope that helps in some way.

Cruise well.

Unfortunately those folks do annoy me especially when they start treating staff as sub-humans.

Case in point, I was reading posts from a lux line frequent sailor who said he berated the Maitre D and waiter for not having a cheese menu and not knowing the difference between different cheeses, and for delivering a cheese plate without the required crackers and grape.  And gasp, he complained about having to order crackers separately because of this faux pas.

It would be difficult for me to hold my tongue if I see this behavior, which would ruin my trip and the trip of those around me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Unfortunately those folks do annoy me especially when they start treating staff as sub-humans.

Case in point, I was reading posts from a lux line frequent sailor who said he berated the Maitre D and waiter for not having a cheese menu and not knowing the difference between different cheeses, and for delivering a cheese plate without the required crackers and grape.  And gasp, he complained about having to order crackers separately because of this faux pas.

It would be difficult for me to hold my tongue if I see this behavior, which would ruin my trip and the trip of those around me.

OK, my experience was quite different. My concern is I am hijacking this thread.  So, this will be my last comment on this topic.  On Crystal Cruises, the frequent cruisers to the brand treated every single member of the staff with dignity.  They loved them like a family member.  Only one woman, was quite loud so everyone could hear her.  She was the 80 year old girl friend of a 96 year old man.  Her line was, "Crystal is not the cruise brand it used to be......."  I looked at my wife and said, this brand has the best food, service and quality of any other brand.  What could this woman be talking about.  

Emphasis, one person.  The behaviors I am talking about are things like criticizing new guests for not wearing jackets to dinner. Asking the DJ for the one hour of music by the pool to tone it down when everyone else is enjoying it and want more.  

I recommend everyone that loves to cruise try at least one luxury cruise brand.  It is a different animal.  Maybe do what I did.  Do one to the Bahamas to have a Luxury Cruise Test Drive.  Regardless.  I hope I clarified.

Cruise well.