Bliss-ful day at the Panama Canal

Essiesmom

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Westbound transit, new locks, no passengers.  

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

In a couple or more hours, she should be visible on this cam.  Not going through the Pedro Miguel Locks, but in the channel above.

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/cerro-luisa.html

Good to see that nice set up on the bow for the staff and crew, so they can enjoy the transit for a change!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

i guess theres no 'best' type of cabin for the canal..or is there?

This question is asked repeatedly over in the Panama Canal forum, where the consensus advice, with which I agree, is that no matter where on the ship your cabin is located, you should experience the transit from all over the ship.  High, low, fore, aft, midships.  

All that said, it's a very long, hot and humid day, and you will undoubtedly spend some time in your own cabin, preferably one with a balcony.   For our first transit of the Canal (and, as it turned out, our second), we chose a forward-facing stateroom directly under the bridge.  This enabled us to have a great view as we went through the Gatun Locks, without having had to spend hours down on the bow trying to get a good spot. (And I'm pretty short, so it's not so easy for me to see down there anyway.🤣) But we certainly didn't spend the entire transit on our own balcony.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbxHnrt15Fegzb-3MslkJj9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1528942665

(photo by Turtles06 on the NCL Jewel)

7 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

My question, why is she moored in the canal just shy of the Cocoli locks?  She's been there for hours.

My best guess is she is waiting for low tide to clear the Bridge of Americas.  While there was a low tide at 2AM this morning (9/28) would think that they may prefer to negotiate the Bridge during daylight.  Low tide this afternoon is around 2:30PM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BillB48 said:

My best guess is she is waiting for low tide to clear the Bridge of Americas.  While there was a low tide at 2AM this morning (9/28) would think that they may prefer to negotiate the Bridge during daylight.  Low tide this afternoon is around 2:30PM

That sounds like the logical reason. Thanks.

• Like 1