Issues with Refund after RCCL Changed Itinerary - Anthem 9/5/21 Sailing

I normally wouldn't post my frustrations here but I'm wondering if anyone else is facing the same situation with Royal. 

On 7/12/21 Royal emailed by TA that they were changing the itinerary of the 9/5/21 Anthem sailing from Norway to Spain/Portugal. Since we weren't interested in that itinerary, I asked TA to cancel on 7/14/21 under the following provision (quoted from Royal's email):

"

While we can't wait to set sail with you, we understand this is an unexpected change and may not work for everyone. It's important to us that every aspect of your time with us is enjoyable. So, should you no longer wish to sail, you'll have until July 23rd, 2021 to cancel and receive a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including non-refundable deposits. 

Fast forward 2 months and many emails/calls to my TA and he received this response from Royal: 

"the booking where the FCCs were applied was cancelled under Cruise with Confidence and have gotten 100% FCCs because of this."

Given this runaround, I am very reluctant to book any further cruises other than one already paid for and don't want to be forced into accepting FCC. 

I am considering a credit card dispute and also emailing Royal myself, just wanted to see if anyone else had insight into the best approach. TIA!

26 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I normally wouldn't post my frustrations here but I'm wondering if anyone else is facing the same situation with Royal. 

On 7/12/21 Royal emailed by TA that they were changing the itinerary of the 9/5/21 Anthem sailing from Norway to Spain/Portugal. Since we weren't interested in that itinerary, I asked TA to cancel on 7/14/21 under the following provision (quoted from Royal's email):

"

While we can't wait to set sail with you, we understand this is an unexpected change and may not work for everyone. It's important to us that every aspect of your time with us is enjoyable. So, should you no longer wish to sail, you'll have until July 23rd, 2021 to cancel and receive a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including non-refundable deposits. 

Fast forward 2 months and many emails/calls to my TA and he received this response from Royal: 

"the booking where the FCCs were applied was cancelled under Cruise with Confidence and have gotten 100% FCCs because of this."

Given this runaround, I am very reluctant to book any further cruises other than one already paid for and don't want to be forced into accepting FCC. 

I am considering a credit card dispute and also emailing Royal myself, just wanted to see if anyone else had insight into the best approach. TIA!

Had you used a fcc to book the cancelled cruise? That's what it sounds like. That maybe the problem. 

9 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

I am considering a credit card dispute and also emailing Royal myself, just wanted to see if anyone else had insight into the best approach.

Have the TA call back, maybe several times or set up a three way call with RCI and show them the refund option in your cancellation notice.

20 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

"

Someone on carnival did a  redit card dispute and found the next time they booked their card was blocked. Do be aware you might win the dispute but then have to deal direct. I worked in amex disputes and people often called me angry they were now in collections. They dont get that winning a dispute is only that. We never said you won   .. our letter carefully worded said the credit will remain on your account.

Do be aware your name may be mud with rcl after a chargeback. It's almost always a no other choice to dispute. It does not mean you were right and rcl wrong. 

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Someone on carnival did a  redit card dispute and found the next time they booked their card was blocked. Do be aware you might win the dispute but then have to deal direct. I worked in amex disputes and people often called me angry they were now in collections. They dont get that winning a dispute is only that. We never said you won   .. our letter carefully worded said the credit will remain on your account.

Do be aware your name may be mud with rcl after a chargeback. It's almost always a no other choice to dispute. It does not mean you were right and rcl wrong. 

That’s good information to have, firefly333. I see the disadvantages of that approach. I will continue to pursue this up the ladder at RCCL, but it wouldn’t be worth credit card issues down the road. 

I am very pleased (and relieved) to report that I received a prompt response from the email send to Mr. Bayley as follows:

I am sorry for your disappointment with our previous responses. Per exception made, your refund request will be granted and will be processed to the original form of payment reflected on your reservation.

Thanks for the advice not to pursue the credit card dispute route as I would prefer to continue as a Royal and Celebrity cruiser in the future (3 sailings booked for 2022!).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

I am very pleased (and relieved) to report that I received a prompt response from the email send to Mr. Bayley as follows:

I am sorry for your disappointment with our previous responses. Per exception made, your refund request will be granted and will be processed to the original form of payment reflected on your reservation.

Thanks for the advice not to pursue the credit card dispute route as I would prefer to continue as a Royal and Celebrity cruiser in the future (3 sailings booked for 2022!).

Can you report back once you’ve received your refund?  I’m curious if you get the FCC also refunded.  Thanks!