What will HAL's Covid vaccine policy be in 2022

Lizofwisconsin

On 10/7/2021 at 12:06 PM, mightycruisequeen said:

Well, is that such a shock?  The passengers onboard are 100% vaxxed. 

Unvaxxed aren't allowed to sail HAL, so nobody's asking them what they want.

I suspect HAL is doing two things. 

Following health guidelines to ensure that they do not end up with a floating disaster.

Surveying their customers and the demographic/socioeconomic groups that make up their typical target customer group to understand where these people  are on this issue and where HAL needs to be in order to attract previous and new customers. 

Clearly, HAL wants to appeal to as many potential customers as possible.  It is just good business.   At the end of the day HAL is a mass market cruise line.

The current  percentage of people vaccinated and their demographic should give HAL an insight into this even without  the survey numbers. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

For US Medicare recipients, look at page  37 of your new 2022 Medicare and you booklet recently mailed out. Coverage for certain "covid" benefits including vaccines, diagnostic tests, antibody tests and monoclonal antibody treatments ......"could change when the public health emergency ends."

As long as there is an official US "public health emergency" regarding "covid", one can expect nothing to change on this topic. Not sure who, what where, when or how "public health emergencies" get declared, changed or terminated, but that will be 100% key to any changes in CDC cruising recommendations for at least through 2022.

Just now, Spire2000 said:

The context of the conversation I've been having with my PCC over the past weeks is missing from my quote. She is well aware of our concerns as our booked cruise approaches final payment date. She has multiple clients awaiting a change in HAL's policy to allow mixed vaccine cruisers.

I agree with you that current CDC guidelines are set. However, this statement yesterday by the CDC is rather telling:

"CDC will release additional guidance and information as the travel requirements are finalized."

The problem is that the CDC is not accepting mixed vaccines.  The WHO has not approved mixed vaccines.  There is no change in the CDC stance concerning mixed vaccines.

The article you referenced only indicated that the vaccines that the CDC had already been accepting will apply to the change allowing people from 33 countries to fly into the US.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

Thank you for the update.  It seems we made the right decision last month in cancelling our HAL Feb 16, 2022 cruise.  We are vaccinated, and mask here when required, but, do not want to mask while on vacation.  Our refund was processed in 10 days.

In Feb 2021 we booked our first new cruise for June 2022 (Alaska), figuring that 16 months out was plenty for the pandemic to be over.  Wrong!  While things can change in the 4 months left before final payment, we are getting ready for having to cancel.

While we are both fully vaccinated and are accustomed to masking anytime we are indoors, for us there are two issues:  will we have to mask/distance etc  on the ship, in which case it is not a holiday or relaxing - we can do that for free downtown in our own city.  The other item, for us, is the destination itself and the high infection and case rate - not fun for going ashore.

We're prepared to sit it out and keep ourselves safe for now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flying-Dragon said:

While we are both fully vaccinated and are accustomed to masking anytime we are indoors, for us there are two issues:  will we have to mask/distance etc  on the ship, in which case it is not a holiday or relaxing - we can do that for free downtown in our own city.  The other item, for us, is the destination itself and the high infection and case rate - not fun for going ashore.

Sorry, but your first point is ridiculous. I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise a couple of weeks ago and had to wear a mask while in some indoor venues and while walking around indoors. Even wearing the mask (which I still do in stores locally), it was infinitely better than being at home. As for high infection rates in ports, that's something that we'll have to wait and see on.

Also, my wife and I got our booster shot two weeks before the cruise, so we felt especially safe on the ship and in the ports (Nassau and Port Canaveral). And we still had no objection to wearing masks where they were required, as well as in the ports.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 3

We tentatively have two trips planned in the New Year.   January/Feb and April/May

We have absolutely no idea what the covid situation will be nor do we have any idea what the various countries we plan to visit have in place for restrictions.  The only thing that makes sense to us at this point is to have a good plan B in mind should plan A go down the pan.

Today's data and restrictions only serve as a very rough indication that we certainly will not depend on them  to make firm or any non refundable  travel financial commitments.  Not to mention safeguarding our own heath and welfare.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We tentatively have two trips planned in the New Year.   January/Feb and April/May

We have absolutely no idea what the covid situation will be nor do we have any idea what the various countries we plan to visit have in place for restrictions.  The only thing that makes sense to us at this point is to have a good plan B in mind should plan A go down the pan.

Today's data and restrictions only serve as a very rough indication that we certainly will not depend on them  to make firm or any non refundable  travel financial commitments.  Not to mention safeguarding our own heath and welfare.

The restrictions will depend upon case numbers at specific locations.  As they drop the restrictions will be relaxed.  I expect masking will go away first.  Testing and vaccination requirements will take a while.

They probably remain until the pandemic is controlled in most places.  After all the last thing a country where it is controlled will want is form someone to bring in cases after they relax their restrictions.  I expect vaccination requirements and probably testing will remain well into 2022 and maybe 2023.

Any new variant has the potential to do what delta has done and create a new wave of infection.  So as you say any travel plans will be subject to change for the next year or two at least.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, mightycruisequeen said:

We've also been waiting in suspense to see if HAL's vaccine policy is going to stay or go for 2022.   

After reading the most recent mass mask rant thread, I'm thinking we made the right decision to cancel our January 2022 cruise.  All that hysteria at sea sounds like anything but a vacation to me.

We really hope the vaccine policy stays in place.  I don't think covid is going to end anytime soon.  The hysteria at sea that you reference to is rather dramatic on your part, however.

• Like 6

On 10/5/2021 at 6:49 AM, mightycruisequeen said:

We've also been waiting in suspense to see if HAL's vaccine policy is going to stay or go for 2022.   

After reading the most recent mass mask rant thread, I'm thinking we made the right decision to cancel our January 2022 cruise.  All that hysteria at sea sounds like anything but a vacation to me.

We just returned from a Europe River Cruise where we were required to wear masks at indoor shore excursions.  It did not prevent us from having a wonderful vacation!  We were required to wear our masks on our 11 hour international flight, even while sleeping, and we survived!  Wearing a mask will not impede my love of travel.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy HAL decided to extend Covid vaccine requirement at least through February. I get to go on my January Panama Canal cruise 😀

Updated October 13, 2021

Your health and safety are our highest priorities.
Our cruises through February 28, 2022 are available for guests who have ALL of the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
• Proof of vaccination
• Proof of a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation. 

• Like 5

On 10/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, albingirl said:

We really hope the vaccine policy stays in place.  I don't think covid is going to end anytime soon.  The hysteria at sea that you reference to is rather dramatic on your part, however.

Yes, but sadly she is not alone. Someone on a social media group said that requiring a vaccine, negative Covid test and masks were going to cause him not to enjoy his HAL cruise, and he was only going because he had a non-refundable deposit. Much like mightycruisequeen here. I'm not entirely sure how he's going to sail if he is opposed to the vaccine requirement.

Fortunately, I think there are many more people who will only sail with these requirements than who will not sail because of it.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, but sadly she is not alone. Someone on a social media group said that requiring a vaccine, negative Covid test and masks were going to cause him not to enjoy his HAL cruise, and he was only going because he had a non-refundable deposit. Much like mightycruisequeen here. I'm not entirely sure how he's going to sail if he is opposed to the vaccine requirement.

Fortunately, I think there are many more people who will only sail with these requirements than who will not sail because of it.

Try not to let it upset you too much that there are people with opinions that are different than yours.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Try not to let it upset you too much that there are people with opinions that are different than yours.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm just happy that you and others who feel that way won't be on my cruises for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

I want to give a slightly different perspective.  We are currently on our 2nd cruise in 3 months (both in Seabourn) and just about everyone on our ship is having a great time.  The only talk about vaccines is (when are you getting your third shot).  Vaccines are mandatory and we have been tested many times in the last three months.  Today we get our 4th test in the past 3 weeks (2 PCR and 2 Antigen).  On our two cruises (Greece and now Caribbean) we have not heard a single person whine about testing.  It is simply the new normal for traveling and cruising.  

My message is simple.  Stay home and whine or accept this new normal and enjoy travel and cruising.  Many of us have simply moved on with our lives and don’t want any part of those who have made whining their personal new normal.

As to future requirements it will be what it will be.  Rules change by the day so predicting a few months is fruitless.  Even on our ship there was no mask requirement a week ago but this week we must mask when walking around in public areas ( no masking when sitting or outside).  Next week,  who knows?

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got a email from Holland about our February Rotterdam cruise and it will have the vaccine and testing requirement and the mask mandate. Was hoping some of the requirements would be lifted by then, but guess not. We'll see how it is on our November 7th Koningsdam cruise.

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My message is simple.  Stay home and whine or accept this new normal and enjoy travel and cruising.  Many of us have simply moved on with our lives and don’t want any part of those who have made whining their personal new normal.

We're not going to stay home and whine, but we're sure  not giving Holland America our money,  only to be required to be vaxxed, tested, and masked, and try to convince ourselves that's a vacation!  Instead, we're going to go stay in a gorgeous vacation rental in the keys for that month.  That might become our personal new normal.🏝️😎

Edited by mightycruisequeen

2 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Instead, we're going to go stay in a gorgeous vacation rental in the keys for that month.

Good to do that now. In a couple of years the Keys will be a very nice underwater park of some kind. Please enjoy your vacation - and enjoy Key West - especially now with none of those nasty cruise ships dropping of the great herds of lemmings...

Hmmmm - Just googled this, a herd of lemmings is called a "Slice of Lemmings" - There is a factoid I will never remember.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Please enjoy your vacation - and enjoy Key West - especially now with none of those nasty cruise ships dropping of the great herds of lemmings...

I forgot about the big ships no longer being welcome in the Conch Republic! 

I'm still a lemming in my heart of hearts though.  Next chance I get to board a dam ship (without all the  crazy hoops to jump through), I'll be happily back at sea with all the other lemmings. 😊