Can You Cruise with just a Passport?

FijiFlip

16 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I don't know where you got your information that TSA isn't at sea ports but in reality they do provide security at cruise terminals.  The TSA website will confirm this.

My information comes from experience...I've never seen them. CBP yes. TSA no. They might be in the background somewhere possibly but it's always been private security checking us in. I just checked their site quickly and found nothing so if you could provide a link it would further my knowledge and would be appreciated.

Edited by sparks1093

13 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I don't read that as saying that they provide the security screening at sea ports, but are more behind the scenes in helping the USCG (which doesn't have a passenger screening role). New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, and Miami were all private security and if TSA were providing security screening of passengers one would expect it would be at those ports, given their size. 

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since the TSA doesn't provide security at sea ports it was likely a private security company with the same initials (and if you respond that the shirt was an official TSA shirt just like the one they wear at the airport then I will respond this is the first I've heard of them providing security at a sea port🙂).

I am sorry you feel so strongly that I am incorrect but I know who they were and if you double check who TSA provides securtiy for you will see they do it at cruise ports. The initials stand for Travel Security Authority. You are entitled to believe what you want I was just trying to offer info based on my experience. 

1 hour ago, drafterdw said:

I am sorry you feel so strongly that I am incorrect but I know who they were and if you double check who TSA provides securtiy for you will see they do it at cruise ports. The initials stand for Travel Security Authority. You are entitled to believe what you want I was just trying to offer info based on my experience. 

TSA stands for Transportation Security Administration. Don't know who the Travel Security Authority is. 

Edited by sparks1093

Just now, ontheweb said:

Maybe they are the other guys with the TSA shirts.🤣

I suspect so, many companies will use initials similar to government agencies to lend credence to themselves. Frowned on by the government but not illegal. You mean this shirt, right?

image.jpeg.9e0cce9726714e8f7511302382aa038a.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from our Legend sailing and the security at check in in the terminal was not provided by TSA but by a contract company. I post this because the TSA is an agency funded in part by taxpayer dollars (and also by fees charged to passengers) and it is important to know (as a taxpayer) what you are getting for your money.