Is Haven worth the money?

kenphy

Considering booking a Haven suite to Alaska in summer 2022.  Have done 14 cruises in the Neptune suites on Holland America, but friends are trying to convince us to do NCL.  The cost is pretty much the same as the Neptune, but we haven't had a butler.  Will former Haven passengers please weigh in?  Thanks so much!

“Worth it” is subjective. 
The only way you can know is to experience it yourself. I’ve cruised NCL 9 times, 4 times in the Haven. At a certain price point, it is worth it to me.

I edited to add, do you like a higher level of personal service, a bigger stateroom, and a quiet area on the ship to “retreat to”?

if so you may find value in the Haven.

Edited by justhappy
  • Like 2

We have found the Haven worth it for us.  We love the extra space, Haven lounge and the personal touches that come with being a Haven guest.   Yes, it does make the cruise a bit more spendy, but for us, the extra benefits of the Haven are worth the expense.

I hope whichever way you try NCL, you have a wonderful experience!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

We have found the Haven worth it for us.  We love the extra space, Haven lounge and the personal touches that come with being a Haven guest.   Yes, it does make the cruise a bit more spendy, but for us, the extra benefits of the Haven are worth the expense.

I hope whichever way you try NCL, you have a wonderful experience!

Can you please explain in more detail the why you love it. This may help the OP to make a decision. 

Personal touches.

Extra benefits. 

Etc.

3 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Can you please explain in more detail the why you love it. This may help the OP to make a decision. 

Personal touches.

Extra benefits. 

Etc.

Absolutely!

*The concierge and assistant have always been attentive to us.  Checking in on us daily. It's nice to be a name and a face.

*We've always had great butlers, who from day 1 knew our likes, dislikes.  Our suites always had our favorite treats.  We've had butlers go out of their way for our extended family (letting them into our suite, with our permission of course).  My favorite example was in 2017, when our DIL was pregnant.  (They were in a balcony cabin).  Our butler would let her in daily while we were on excursions and bring her lunch, taking care of her, while we were away.

*We love an evening cocktail before dinner (and late in the evening) in the Haven lounge, where the fantastic mixologists always seem to know our name (from day 1!)  

*The Haven pool and sundeck.  It's such a great benefit to not have to worry about a chair when looking for some sun!

Basically, it's very nice to be made to feel special.  So often everything is go, go, go.  Cruising for us in the Haven is a chance to slow down, be pampered and treated like we don't normally live  at home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

Absolutely!

*The concierge and assistant have always been attentive to us.  Checking in on us daily. It's nice to be a name and a face.

*We've always had great butlers, who from day 1 knew our likes, dislikes.  Our suites always had our favorite treats.  We've had butlers go out of their way for our extended family (letting them into our suite, with our permission of course).  My favorite example was in 2017, when our DIL was pregnant.  (They were in a balcony cabin).  Our butler would let her in daily while we were on excursions and bring her lunch, taking care of her, while we were away.

*We love an evening cocktail before dinner (and late in the evening) in the Haven lounge, where the fantastic mixologists always seem to know our name (from day 1!)  

*The Haven pool and sundeck.  It's such a great benefit to not have to worry about a chair when looking for some sun!

Basically, it's very nice to be made to feel special.  So often everything is go, go, go.  Cruising for us in the Haven is a chance to slow down, be pampered and treated like we don't normally live  at home.

Thank you! This should really help others to have a better understanding of why one would pay extra and get extra. 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

I hear this a lot of from people:

"Why do you care what room you're in... you're never in the room?"

I always respond:

"When you have a nice room, you tend to spend a lot more time in it."

Here's the math: Break down the cost delta between the room in the Haven and the room you'd normally book to a per day, per person cost. Then decide if spending the extra $/day on privacy, luxury, and pampering is worth it to you.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

The only correct answer is "It depends on you"

In other words, the same answer to "Is Premium Plus Worth It?" 🙂

From what I've seen, it's quantity versus quality.  Would you rather take 2-3 cruises or one "enhanced" one?  I've enjoyed being in my balcony stateroom and haven't yet upgraded.  Maybe I will someday, especially if I travel with someone else (I'm usually solo.)  It's a lot more money but, then again, it's a different level of experience not just a bigger room.

• Like 1

Depends on cost and which ship. To me, the newer the ship, the better the Haven experience. 

I love outdoor dining and only the newer ships offer that. 

For cost, I would look at it per night rather than the total amount. You can get some really good deal right now on some ships and on others, the prices are extremely high. 

If you search the forum you will find some very recent threads about this. 

46 minutes ago, newty25 said:

Here's the math: Break down the cost delta between the room in the Haven and the room you'd normally book to a per day, per person cost. Then decide if spending the extra $/day on privacy, luxury, and pampering is worth it to you.

To add to this thread. I priced out the Joy for 11/20/2021 and here are the results.

Two passengers, Get Up To ALL Free at Sea Offers.

Haven H1   $7,213.78/2 passengers = $3,606.89/7 Days = $515.27/day/passenger

Haven H5 $17,587.78/2 passengers = $8,793.39/7 Days = $1,256.27/day/passenger

Now here is the cost of an Inside cabin on the exact same cruise and ship with $75 OBC, 250 Min WiFi, $50/port shore excursions credit, 2 meal speciality dinners, ultimate beverage package for 2.

Total cost for 2 passengers $2,100.

What would you do? Why?

Stay Safe!

36 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

In other words, the same answer to "Is Premium Plus Worth It?" 🙂

From what I've seen, it's quantity versus quality.  Would you rather take 2-3 cruises or one "enhanced" one?  I've enjoyed being in my balcony stateroom and haven't yet upgraded.  Maybe I will someday, especially if I travel with someone else (I'm usually solo.)  It's a lot more money but, then again, it's a different level of experience not just a bigger room.

I would go one step further.  It is how each of us values quantity and quality.  The scales will tip differently depending on the weight we give each of those items.  We all have different answers for these things.  There is a great thread on here always near the top on how to get the most out of the Haven.  Anyone wanting to know what the haven can give you (and if you value those things) should read that thread first.  Here is that thread:

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 2

• Oteixeria, I totally agree with your comments.  I booked the Haven for this 7 day cruise due to the following facts,  This Haven ( ship) has its own private restaurant, two private  lounges, private observation lounge and private pool/hot tubes. sun deck. For about the same money I looked at a 10 day cruise on another ship with a Haven program without any of the items I listed this Haven has. To me I could not justify spending the extra money on the other ship.
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I would go one step further.  It is how each of us values quantity and quality.  The scales will tip differently depending on the weight we give each of those items.  We all have different answers for these things.  There is a great thread on here always near the top on how to get the most out of the Haven.  Anyone wanting to know what the haven can give you (and if you value those things) should read that thread first.  Here is that thread:

Very excellent review of Haven and the writers evaluation/experiences.

As you read,  there are some options not used/required. So, it is up to you on whether it is worth the extra money and will you use the options provided. 

Your money,  your choice.

That's what makes the world go round. We have choices. 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

For me it depends on the ship, the itinerary, and the price difference.  Most of NCL's smaller ships either have no Haven or the Haven was added as an afterthought and lacks some of the amenities found on the larger ships, such as an exclusive Haven Restaurant.  The service and personal attention there can be spectacular.  You may find that it is less appealing to pay for the Haven on one of the smaller ships. 

On cruises that involve a lot of sea days, such as Transatlantic crossings, you'll be spending many more daylight hours on the ship, and probably more time in your room.  That can make a real difference in deciding if the Haven is worth it.

Finally, the price difference is a major factor and it varies greatly from one cruise to the next.  We have sailed in the Haven only twice out of 27 cruises with NCL.  The first time we had six sea days out of 14.  The second time it was seven days at sea out of 10.  On the second cruise our price difference between Balcony and Haven was under $100 per person per day.  On our first time in the Haven the difference was just $55 per person per day.  Each time the additional fare also included full access to the spa, something we would not have had with a standard Balcony stateroom.  Yes, it definitely was worth it on those two voyages.  On other, shorter, more port intense cruises, not so much.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Thank you for sharing this thread.  I want to give a fact about the picture of the young lady.  This article I wrote was really, really long.  Very detailed.  Exactly two sentences made reference to unsupervised children on a recent Haven Cruise on the Getaway.  This picture was from a very proud mom showing her daughter doing her homework in the Haven courtyard.  I took a lot of heat on those two little sentences if I remember correctly.  However, this mom wanted everyone to know, her children respected the Haven and that folks is GREAT parenting.  

Cruise well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you for sharing this thread.  I want to give a fact about the picture of the young lady.  This article I wrote was really, really long.  Very detailed.  Exactly two sentences made reference to unsupervised children on a recent Haven Cruise on the Getaway.  This picture was from a very proud mom showing her daughter doing her homework in the Haven courtyard.  I took a lot of heat on those two little sentences if I remember correctly.  However, this mom wanted everyone to know, her children respected the Haven and that folks is GREAT parenting.  

Cruise well. 

I'm glad you clarified the photo. I just didn't recognize you in the photo. LOL

Again, great review! 

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

I'm glad you clarified the photo. I just didn't recognize you in the photo. LOL

Again, great review! 

Here is the deal.  We both together will update that puppy in November during our cruises together.  Thanks have got to have changed a bit.  I also want to compare the different Haven in real terms like, did what every the difference really make a difference.  Along with food, service, entertainment and drink.  It should be fun.

I do have a rule though.  I only do those kinds of reviews after the cruise is over.  During the cruise, I want to do NOTHING.  I want NOTHING to be everything I ever thought it would be.  

Cruise well. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Cruise well. 

To be fair, I think it just posted the picture as it was the first image posted in your thread.  I did not want it, or ask for it.  Kind of odd.   🙂  My point was to show the OP there is already a great source for questions they may have, and that we can use your thread as a primer for folks thinking about the Haven and it's value to them.

56 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Here is the deal.  We both together will update that puppy in November during our cruises together.  Thanks have got to have changed a bit.  I also want to compare the different Haven in real terms like, did what every the difference really make a difference.  Along with food, service, entertainment and drink.  It should be fun.

I do have a rule though.  I only do those kinds of reviews after the cruise is over.  During the cruise, I want to do NOTHING.  I want NOTHING to be everything I ever thought it would be.  

Cruise well. 

Totally agree. When on a cruise, I do not get online to review a cruise. That is quiet time, audio books, couple drinks and relax. 

A ship doesn't provide the kind of luxury I'm accustomed to on land for far less money so I can't see myself justifying the expense unless I had an extreme excess of money and even then I'd probably rather spend it on St. Regis rooms and the free suite upgrades I get.

11 minutes ago, ProblemCruiser said:

A ship doesn't provide the kind of luxury I'm accustomed to on land for far less money so I can't see myself justifying the expense unless I had an extreme excess of money and even then I'd probably rather spend it on St. Regis rooms and the free suite upgrades I get.

Well, that seems to be a very good point for your personal needs.  I am quite sure you can see others, myself included prefer the sea. Isn’t nice to have the choice.  Enjoy any vacation you like. Life is good.

• Haha 1