Is Haven worth the money?

kenphy

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

To be fair, I think it just posted the picture as it was the first image posted in your thread.  I did not want it, or ask for it.  Kind of odd.   🙂  My point was to show the OP there is already a great source for questions they may have, and that we can use your thread as a primer for folks thinking about the Haven and it's value to them.

Thank you, fun stuff.  Much appreciated.  

• Like 1

Yes, it is worth it for me.  I am a solo cruiser too.

But, it depends what you like, and what is considered valuable to you.  For me, when I am on vacation, I like service.  I don't like waiting on lines, and small spaces make me feel claustrophobic.  To me, I value my space, and I value highly having a living space and a sleeping space in my cabin.

Haven Cabin:  Like I mentioned, the extra space is a big one for me.  I like being able to spread out, and not feel like I am all in one tight space.  I like to think of my stateroom as my own space, and sometimes I just want to be on my own.  But that is me, you may not feel the same.

Butler: I like the little treats I get, and knowing that someone is attentive to whatever I might want.  I don't run him/her ragged, but knowing I am going to see the same person if I order breakfast everyday is nice to me.  Knowing that there is someone in the background making sure things happen correctly is worth the $$ to me.  Sure, I could get a bad butler. 

Haven area:  Big plus for me.  I like being able to go to the pool and not worry about finding a seat.  Or, having someone bring me a drink, or keep me topped up.  I like not being in a busy pool area with a ton of people.  I LOVE the idea of a ship within a ship.  I get the benefits of a huge ship, but the privacy and attention of a small ship in the Haven.  I see the same people, make friends because I see the same people.  I love that the bartender knows my drinks, and knows my name.  

Concierge: Enjoy knowing I can call them and they can pretty much get me into wherever I want to go.  Made reservations for Cagney's but feel like French?  No problem.  A quick call to the concierge and its done. 

Service:  I value walking up to a Maitre d' and they know my name and that I like sitting by a window.  I like walking in and greeting people by name, seeing familiar faces, asking them what they did that day.  Sure, I know the service is part of the show, but I put value on that.  It makes me feel like I have nothing to worry about, and that makes a vacation to me.

So, is the Haven worth it?  Depends on what you value.  For me, I probably would cruise more Oceania style or other more luxury brand cruises, but I really like the benefits of a big ship.  So, Haven it is!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

Yes, it is worth it for me.  I am a solo cruiser too.

But, it depends what you like, and what is considered valuable to you.  For me, when I am on vacation, I like service.  I don't like waiting on lines, and small spaces make me feel claustrophobic.  To me, I value my space, and I value highly having a living space and a sleeping space in my cabin.

Haven Cabin:  Like I mentioned, the extra space is a big one for me.  I like being able to spread out, and not feel like I am all in one tight space.  I like to think of my stateroom as my own space, and sometimes I just want to be on my own.  But that is me, you may not feel the same.

Butler: I like the little treats I get, and knowing that someone is attentive to whatever I might want.  I don't run him/her ragged, but knowing I am going to see the same person if I order breakfast everyday is nice to me.  Knowing that there is someone in the background making sure things happen correctly is worth the $$ to me.  Sure, I could get a bad butler. 

Haven area:  Big plus for me.  I like being able to go to the pool and not worry about finding a seat.  Or, having someone bring me a drink, or keep me topped up.  I like not being in a busy pool area with a ton of people.  I LOVE the idea of a ship within a ship.  I get the benefits of a huge ship, but the privacy and attention of a small ship in the Haven.  I see the same people, make friends because I see the same people.  I love that the bartender knows my drinks, and knows my name.  

Concierge: Enjoy knowing I can call them and they can pretty much get me into wherever I want to go.  Made reservations for Cagney's but feel like French?  No problem.  A quick call to the concierge and its done. 

Service:  I value walking up to a Maitre d' and they know my name and that I like sitting by a window.  I like walking in and greeting people by name, seeing familiar faces, asking them what they did that day.  Sure, I know the service is part of the show, but I put value on that.  It makes me feel like I have nothing to worry about, and that makes a vacation to me.

So, is the Haven worth it?  Depends on what you value.  For me, I probably would cruise more Oceania style or other more luxury brand cruises, but I really like the benefits of a big ship.  So, Haven it is!

Very interesting and well written.  Thank you.

As most people have said it depends. For us it is worth it for the following reasons:

Shorter lines getting on and off the ship including port stops.

Small lounge with refreshments when waiting to board on the first day.

The ability to eat in a dedicated restaurant( however we are almost just as happy in the buffet).

Larger room with a very nice bathroom (sometimes 1 1/2 or even 2 baths),

Nice balcony in a great location. Reserved seats in the theatre.

The ability to have the services of the concierge/butler when we need them.

I say ability because we rarely use them.

On the larger ships a dedicated lounge and restaurant but we do like the 

observation lounge on the Encore just as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can afford it, why not.   Told the grandkids we will be travelling in style.   I drive a 16 year old car, house is paid for.  We like to be pampered in our dotage.

😁

• Like 4

I really appreciate this discussion. I just book my 1st Haven experience for my 25th anniversary in Jan '23. We are going on the Encore Haven. I look forward to the opportunity to see how the 'other half' lives sort of speak and hope to make it special. All of your insights have really helped a lot

8 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

On the Encore right now in the Haven.  It is worth every penny.  The feeling is like driving a brand new Mercedes.  If a 10 year old Toyota suits you, get an inside and save some money.

Except once you drive the Mercedes, it's hard to go back to the Toyota!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newty25 said:

This is the thing, the issue, the concern and the fact.  Luxury is subjective.  If it means something to you, you can afford it, you can't go back.  Some folks think by even talking about it, we are putting others down.  Not in the least.  Some of us, myself included go on less cruises so the ones we do go on are these types of experiences.  

Life has trade offs.  Unless you are a billionaire, you make decisions.  Which ever decision you make; the worst case is you are cruising, eating well, seeing new places and making new friends.  No downside their.

Cruise well everyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newty25 said:

I use to think that.  Had a 300SD and a 380SL back in the 80s.

Them went to an Infinite J30, Buick 2010 LaCrosse.

The Buick was one of the most comfortable of all.  

Now drive Hyundai Santa Fe. This is the most economical car.

MB was most expensive!

Would not go back to MB. It has lost it style,  overpriced.  JMO!

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

I'll add a different spin to it. I've been on 4 Norwegian cruises in the past decade. Two smaller ships (early in the timeline), and more recently a Breakaway and Breakaway plus ship. All standard balcony cabins. On the smaller ships, I didn't notice the Haven areas. On the large ships, they take a huge chunk out of the upper decks to define the Haven area. They force all of the non Haven guest into, what I think, a much smaller, compressed area than what it should be. Take a look at the picture I've attached. The red outlines the Haven area and the blue is the Vibe Beach Club.

There are about 80 Haven cabins on a ship of this class (Encore pictured). Lets say 200 guest. I estimate that 40% of the upper decks are taken by The Haven and Vibe ($200pp/week). 30% is pay per use activities, the race track and laser tag. That leaves 30% for the other 3,800 guests. I've been one of the 3,800 twice, and let me tell you, you can feel it. The pools are tiny. The deck chair game is on another level. The bars are packed. It's just not much fun to be up there on a sea day. So much so that I've vowed to never go on another NCL cruise, unless I'm in the Haven. That will be in February. 

norwegianencore.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

This is the thing, the issue, the concern and the fact.  Luxury is subjective.  If it means something to you, you can afford it, you can't go back.  Some folks think by even talking about it, we are putting others down.  Not in the least.  Some of us, myself included go on less cruises so the ones we do go on are these types of experiences.  

Life has trade offs.  Unless you are a billionaire, you make decisions.  Which ever decision you make; the worst case is you are cruising, eating well, seeing new places and making new friends.  No downside their.

Cruise well everyone.

So true...........we cruised in inside cabins many times, eventually moved to a balcony.  We spend little on other things so we can cruise more.  For our home excitement we read, watch Jeopardy and play dominoes.  🤓

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I'll add a different spin to it. I've been on 4 Norwegian cruises in the past decade. Two smaller ships (early in the timeline), and more recently a Breakaway and Breakaway plus ship. All standard balcony cabins. On the smaller ships, I didn't notice the Haven areas. On the large ships, they take a huge chunk out of the upper decks to define the Haven area. They force all of the non Haven guest into, what I think, a much smaller, compressed area than what it should be. Take a look at the picture I've attached. The red outlines the Haven area and the blue is the Vibe Beach Club.

There are about 80 Haven cabins on a ship of this class (Encore pictured). Lets say 200 guest. I estimate that 40% of the upper decks are taken by The Haven and Vibe ($200pp/week). 30% is pay per use activities, the race track and laser tag. That leaves 30% for the other 3,800 guests. I've been one of the 3,800 twice, and let me tell you, you can feel it. The pools are tiny. The deck chair game is on another level. The bars are packed. It's just not much fun to be up there on a sea day. So much so that I've vowed to never go on another NCL cruise, unless I'm in the Haven. That will be in February. 

norwegianencore.jpg

I completely understand how you feel.  Truth be told, NCL and every other mainstream brand make enormous profits on the Haven type area's.  The premium for Haven which sometimes can be three times the cost of a balcony stateroom, created opportunities for cruise brands.  

Besides the higher profit margin, these upper end suites sell faster in normal times.  Finally, it allows mainstream brands to provide an option for those that are Luxury brand cruisers.  The big ship appeal is still there for those cruisers.  

This "Ship-within-a-Ship" concept is not a key part of the developing or new ships with all the major cruise companies.  All me to add one thing.  I just went on a Luxury Cruise Brand to see what it was like.  I liked it a lot however missed the large ship appeal.  

The purpose of my response is to do my best to verbalize why this new concept of mainstream cruising seems to be so popular.  

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I use to think that.  Had a 300SD and a 380SL back in the 80s.

Them went to an Infinite J30, Buick 2010 LaCrosse.

The Buick was one of the most comfortable of all.  

Now drive Hyundai Santa Fe. This is the most economical car.

MB was most expensive!

Would not go back to MB. It has lost it style,  overpriced.  JMO!

Stay Safe! 

Well, I've owned several BMWs and I'm in a Ford F150 now.

I guess it just depends on your stage of life and need. 🙂

Edited by newty25
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I completely understand how you feel.  Truth be told, NCL and every other mainstream brand make enormous profits on the Haven type area's.  The premium for Haven which sometimes can be three times the cost of a balcony stateroom, created opportunities for cruise brands.  

I don't think this is true of the other brands. Take a look at this Oasis picture. Almost all of the upper deck space is open to all passengers. From bow to stern all of the activities are free. They may have one upper deck that's reserved, but I'm not exactly sure. Look at the back, as compared to the Encore. Mini golf, basketball court, flow riders vs. the race track and laser tag.

I'll have a better comparison come next summer. I'm sailing Haven in Feb and Star class on the Harmony in June. 

RCIOAS_hero1.jpg

28 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I don't think this is true of the other brands. Take a look at this Oasis picture. Almost all of the upper deck space is open to all passengers. From bow to stern all of the activities are free. They may have one upper deck that's reserved, but I'm not exactly sure. Look at the back, as compared to the Encore. Mini golf, basketball court, flow riders vs. the race track and laser tag.

I'll have a better comparison come next summer. I'm sailing Haven in Feb and Star class on the Harmony in June. 

RCIOAS_hero1.jpg

MSC has the Yacht Club, Celebrity has the Retreat and NCL has the Haven.  Each ship is designed differently. Please remember, my point was, "This Ship-with-in-a-ship" concept is the design of current and future main stream cruise brands.  If it did not work, they would stop doing it.  Instead, they are retrofitting and designing it in current and future ships.  

Depends on the ship, itinerary, circumstance and price.

I won’t book the Haven if it’s over a certain price threshold.

Am currently in the Encore sailing Alaska, too.  Reduced passengers makes it a breeze to eat in any restaurant, at any time, with no wait.

Observation Lounge is just a lux hotel area and wonderful space.  Great way to view the beautiful scenery, plus, it’s large enough that it’s easy to find a place to just chill or listen to the entertainment every evening.

Pool use has been non-existent, even though the weather has been mild, still too cold to hang out in them.

Getting into shows has been easy, too.  I know my favorite concierge in the fleet, Adrian Bicker (sp?) is manning the Haven, but not sure what I’d need him for.  Butler…never used them much to begin with, so no need for them now.

So, while there may be some things that would be different, they’d be minor and not worth the 3x-4x price difference over a balcony, or even a balcony suite.

That said, full ship?  In the Caribbean or Mediterranean?  Where disembarkation and embarkation might be less easy?  On the “-away class” and up?  Price is $2,250/pp or less?  I can justify that!

Right now?  Probably through the end of the year/first part of next year?  I can’t see the value!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Depends on the ship, itinerary, circumstance and price.

I won’t book the Haven if it’s over a certain price threshold.

Am currently in the Encore sailing Alaska, too.  Reduced passengers makes it a breeze to eat in any restaurant, at any time, with no wait.

Observation Lounge is just a lux hotel area and wonderful space.  Great way to view the beautiful scenery, plus, it’s large enough that it’s easy to find a place to just chill or listen to the entertainment every evening.

Pool use has been non-existent, even though the weather has been mild, still too cold to hang out in them.

Getting into shows has been easy, too.  I know my favorite concierge in the fleet, Adrian Bicker (sp?) is manning the Haven, but not sure what I’d need him for.  Butler…never used them much to begin with, so no need for them now.

So, while there may be some things that would be different, they’d be minor and not worth the 3x-4x price difference over a balcony, or even a balcony suite.

That said, full ship?  In the Caribbean or Mediterranean?  Where disembarkation and embarkation might be less easy?  On the “-away class” and up?  Price is $2,250/pp or less?  I can justify that!

Right now?  Probably through the end of the year/first part of next year?  I can’t see the value!

Very well written.  All good points.  My favorite part of your post was how you compared your current experience to other experiences.  I must say, if I could find a Haven 7-day cruise for $2,250 pp on the Encore, I would jump on it.  Will happen again and I will be watching for it.  Thank you for such a well thought out post.

Cruise well.

• Like 2

The MB vs. Toyota and Haven vs. Steerage comparisons are very valid for me.  I rely on my Toyota for reliable transportation.  I rely on my Steerage rooms for sleeping/shower/dressing.  I derive no pleasure from high end automobiles.  I derive no pleasure from a butler waiting on me.  I would enjoy the Haven lounge on ships that don't have a nice lounge.  Fortunately, my next cruise is on the Encore.  😎  Beyond that, who knows??

• Like 2

I'm not a frequent cruiser.  To date I have been on four cruises in the last 25 years.  That's something like once every 6 years.  I do hope to pick up the pace a bit but going on multiple cruises a year is never going to happen.  The limiting factor is not money.  It's more about other vacation choices, family, civic responsibilities, pet motels and other issues.  We've never been in the Haven.  On our last cruise we did have a suite with butler concierge, priority tendering, etc.  We didn't do Haven as we had family members in mini-suites.  

We will be in the Haven for the first time in January.  Without having been there yet, I would answer yes it is worth it.   We enjoyed the suite amenities on the last cruise and look forward to the private restaurant, bar, pool and sundeck.  As rarely as we cruise we may as well go first class.

• Like 1

On the larger ships I feel it is absolutely worth it. We love the ship within a ship concept, being able to go out and enjoy whatever is going on while still having a quiet "haven" to retreat to when desired. However, we unfortunately cannot always sail Haven due to cost. Our next cruise will be Haven but the one after that (Alaska) most likely will not. We will be in a standard balcony and I'm sure we will miss it but still have a great time. 

On 10/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, kenphy said:

Considering booking a Haven suite to Alaska in summer 2022.  Have done 14 cruises in the Neptune suites on Holland America, but friends are trying to convince us to do NCL.  The cost is pretty much the same as the Neptune, but we haven't had a butler.  Will former Haven passengers please weigh in?  Thanks so much!

Yes!

Priority embarkation/disembarkation.  Dedicated venues away from the masses.  Personalized service.  There are others, but these three do it for me.

I have a kid with a fairly serious food allergy....the Haven staff always takes care of him.  Even at venues away from the Haven (eg.  They call down to whatever restaurant we are going too, to ensure they understand the nature of the allergy and always send an allergy free dessert for him.)  We don't request this, they just do it.  That is personalized service. 

• Thanks 1

OK, I will show my age with this. Years ago there was a show on the TV called Family Affair. Single Dad with three children and the AMAZING MR. FRENCH. I used to wonder what the heck do people do to be able to afford a Butler, Cook, Assistant etc like Mr. French? What a treat. Just fantastic to have someone (other than your Mother) look after you. In the Haven all of those folks are there to look after you. On day one, they are all addressing you by name, after just a couple of orders the Bartenders have your drink set up pronto, in the Haven restaurant your special table is usually set up with your favorite Waiter, "thank you for remembering that I prefer five shrimp on my salad instead of three" I say to the waiter, she remembers that we prefer no dessert after dinner, but she will have two desserts sent to our cabin each night for us to enjoy before retiring for the day. Want to go to any of the specialty restaurants? What time works for you? "Let me get you in" says the Concierge. Can I please have some iced tea in the fridge each day, no problem. First on and first off with personal escort in a separate elevator from the Haven (who likes to queue up? not me). Seats up front for shows before anyone else is in the theatre. No hustle for lounge chairs and no loud partiers usually, so I can get my book read or get some much needed R & R. We are far from rich, but since that first "bid up" to the Haven, there is no going back. I will take fewer cruises to enjoy this level of personal attention and comfort a couple times a year. The Haven is worth the money for us for sure and we feel like there are many "Mr. French's" there to take care of us! 😊

• Like 5