Norway and Americans

vaitape

13 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

Nothing from Viking but I found this information on regjeringen.no in regards to the report that Norway will allow all visitors beginning November 26:

We are working on solutions to expand this system to include people who have been vaccinated using vaccines approved in the UK, the USA, and by WHO. At present this means vaccination with Covishield (the AstraZeneca vaccine manufactured in India), Sinopharm, and Sinovac. It must be possible to check people’s COVID-19 certificates using a QR code that is accepted by the EU Digital COVID certificate (EUDCC) gateway. It will take some time before the system for these people is in place.

The State of California has a QR code record of COVID vaccinations. Since the US doesn’t have one as a whole, I wonder if the EU would accept ones from individual states.

3 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

The State of California has a QR code record of COVID vaccinations. Since the US doesn’t have one as a whole, I wonder if the EU would accept ones from individual states.

On this page, below is what is considered a valid certificate. So, seems to me that my CA digital record won't count 😞  But it would be great if I was wrong, and it did count! I just can't find any information to see that it would be allowed.

Valid COVID-19 certificates when entering Norway

When entering Norway, you must be able to present a valid COVID-19 certificate to verify that you are fully vaccinated or have had COVID-19 during the preceding six months.

The COVID-19 certificate must have a QR-code that can be verified by the Norwegian authorities. The following certificates can be used upon entry to Norway:

• Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish COVID-19 certificate
  • The EU digital COVID certificate  
  • NHS COVID-pass from England and Wales
  • COVID certificate from Northern-Ireland
  • COVID-19 Vaccination certificate from Scotland

Visit the webpages of the EU-commission for an overview of which countries within or outside of the EU that are part of the EU digital COVID-19 certificate.

17 minutes ago, vaitape said:

For heaven's sake, what has the US done to Norway to have them shun us re covid vax?? Absolutely not understanding this. 

We now have digital certificates at my clinic here in Cali.... 

it’s nothing to do with digital certificates it’s whether each country is comfortable with the rate of control of an infection in another country (not state). Norway knows the value of tourism but they also recognise the challenges of caring for infected people in more remote locations.  Based on their assessments they are not happy to let US citizens visit. They also will have recognised that like most European countries and the UK, USA did not open their borders to their citizens until ten days ago.  

I’ve got a horse in this race, I hope I can enjoy my cruise to Norway but recognise as with all borders, it’s out of my hands regardless of whether I’m vaccinated or have a fancy app on my phone. This isn’t going to fix itself quickly I’m afraid. We will have to look at cancelling soon in the absence  of anything from Viking even though we would be allowed into Norway. But will the ship sail? Will the excursions go etc etc 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, seaquay said:

Can I ask one of the American contributors what happens to their travel insurance if they travel to a Country the CDC is advising not to travel to as Here in the U.K. very few companies would cover this eventuality 

Nothing.  The CDC advises but does not mandate.  The CDC says if you must go to one of the countries on their do not travel list, to make sure you're vaccinated.

Norway—whack-a-doodle with their ban on vaccinated Americans. See Malta in June 2021–they finally figured it out. And no, I don’t think governments are being retaliatory because the U.S. didn’t open up until this month.

7 hours ago, uktog said:

it’s nothing to do with digital certificates it’s whether each country is comfortable with the rate of control of an infection in another country (not state). Norway knows the value of tourism but they also recognise the challenges of caring for infected people in more remote locations.  Based on their assessments they are not happy to let US citizens visit. They also will have recognised that like most European countries and the UK, USA did not open their borders to their citizens until ten days ago.  

My understanding was one reason that some countries weren’t allowing Americans is because the paper copies of proof of vaccination were too easy to forge and thus put their citizens at risk..  So I think if the US had digital version, we would more likely be accepted.  After all, some of the vaccination types that they DO accept are of lower efficacy than the ones most Americans received.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Buffyr said:

Doesn’t Verifly certify that your vaccine information is legitimate?  They provide a QR code. Is that enough?  

Nope.

Verifly has no way of accessing government records in order to certify that your docs are legitimate.

They’re just a way to be sure you have the right docs to enter a country, not that your docs are legit. They hide behind the “algorithm” they use to try to weed out fake docs.

• Like 1

Our cruise is scheduled for late June. Our drop dead decision date for a full refund is mid Feb. It should get interesting as to whether US citizens (fully vaccinated and having a booster) will be allowed access to Norway and the 9 other countries for our cruise. I haven't a clue how much tourism revenue is generated by US tourists in Norway. Looking at the financial hit to just Norway, in 2020 tourism revenue dropped from $58 billion to $18 billion. Compound that with the losses in 2021, how long can any country sustain the financial losses like what has happened with COVID? https://www.statista.com/statistics/806888/international-tourist-spending-visitor-exports-norway/

Edited by BigBee51

On 12/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, BigBee51 said:

... tourism revenue is generated by US tourists in Norway. Looking at the financial hit to just Norway, in 2020 tourism revenue dropped from $58 billion to $18 billion. Compound that with the losses in 2021, how long can any country sustain the financial losses like what has happened with COVID? https://www.statista.com/statistics/806888/international-tourist-spending-visitor-exports-norway/

@BigBee51 - Norway has oil.....lots and lots of oil.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

I wrote an email  to the agency that handles the vaccination database for Wisconsin. My healthcare provider issues a QR code that could be hooked into the database since the screen that shows your vaccination status when you visit the doctor they can see the screen  from the state database. I asked the person at the state agency who can use the QR code.

Also the CDC accepts the digital EU Covid certificate from EU nationals who are traveling to the US. Maybe the reverse situation is true? I did also reach out to the CDC. I hope to hear back soon.

Regardless of what Norway does, there are now some issues for the Northern Lights itineraries as the UK government requires all arrivals to quarantine until they have a clear result from a PCR test - so best case this is looking at a 24 hour quarantine in your hotel unless you are transiting straight from the airport to the ship or vice versa.  This is the bigger problem than the Norway paperwork in my view.  (Its actually worse for those of us arriving in Scotland as we cannot do test immediately we need to wait until Day 2 so our quarantine is effectively 3 days 😞 

1 hour ago, safeman said:

I wrote an email  to the agency that handles the vaccination database for Wisconsin. My healthcare provider issues a QR code that could be hooked into the database since the screen that shows your vaccination status when you visit the doctor they can see the screen  from the state database. I asked the person at the state agency who can use the QR code.

Also the CDC accepts the digital EU Covid certificate from EU nationals who are traveling to the US. Maybe the reverse situation is true? I did also reach out to the CDC. I hope to hear back soon.

I wrote an email to support@entrynorway.no and they said they had no authority to answer questions about digital certificates from individual states and to call +47 21 89 80 42 (from abroad).  I’m afraid that’s beyond my abilities.

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

Regardless of what Norway does, there are now some issues for the Northern Lights itineraries as the UK government requires all arrivals to quarantine until they have a clear result from a PCR test - so best case this is looking at a 24 hour quarantine in your hotel unless you are transiting straight from the airport to the ship or vice versa.  This is the bigger problem than the Norway paperwork in my view.  (Its actually worse for those of us arriving in Scotland as we cannot do test immediately we need to wait until Day 2 so our quarantine is effectively 3 days 😞 

We are on the British Isle Explorer so land in Bergen. It’s unclear whether we can proceed directly to the ship without quarantine for at least 3 days and then test negative. Norway does test you right away at the point you enter the country.

The situation in Scotland sounds like a mess as well. We’ll all run into the situation when the ship lands in each port. We might not be able get off the ship if a quarantine is mandatory. 

At least in Norway if you have a verifiable digital COVID vaccination certificate you can avoid the quarantine. Is that the same in Scotland?

I’m hoping that the QR codes issued by the individual states can be read by the authorities as we traverse our cruise.

37 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I wrote an email to support@entrynorway.no and they said they had no authority to answer questions about digital certificates from individual states and to call +47 21 89 80 42 (from abroad).  I’m afraid that’s beyond my abilities.

Like others have said they don't rely on tourism dollars as much as other countries. Hopefully the situation gets clearer or we'll pull the plug probably before the 120 day cutoff for a full refund. I'm not certain we want to keep on kicking the can down the road. This is already a rebooking from a cancelled cruise in January.

14 minutes ago, safeman said:

Like others have said they don't rely on tourism dollars as much as other countries. Hopefully the situation gets clearer or we'll pull the plug probably before the 120 day cutoff for a full refund. I'm not certain we want to keep on kicking the can down the road. This is already a rebooking from a cancelled cruise in January.

I'm not sure I want to pay $$$ and go through all of the trouble to get to the ship just to stay on a floating hotel. I know this is beyond the control of Viking. They're doing the best they can in a difficult situation. Nor am I faulting the countries who are trying to slow the spread. 

On 12/9/2021 at 10:32 AM, BigBee51 said:

...Looking at the financial hit to just Norway, in 2020 tourism revenue dropped from $58 billion to $18 billion. Compound that with the losses in 2021, how long can any country sustain the financial losses like what has happened with COVID? https://www.statista.com/statistics/806888/international-tourist-spending-visitor-exports-norway/

Norway is a wealthy country.  They can weather this storm however they like.

1 hour ago, safeman said:

At least in Norway if you have a verifiable digital COVID vaccination certificate you can avoid the quarantine. Is that the same in Scotland?

I’m hoping that the QR codes issued by the individual states can be read by the authorities as we traverse our cruise.

This is the big question.  We in Ontario have had vaccine certificates with QR codes for months, but I have been told recently that the codes are not usable in Europe for some reason.  So I wouldn't assume that any old QR code is a panacea.  Hope they fix all this by spring.

37 minutes ago, safeman said:

I'm not sure I want to pay $$$ and go through all of the trouble to get to the ship just to stay on a floating hotel. I know this is beyond the control of Viking. They're doing the best they can in a difficult situation. Nor am I faulting the countries who are trying to slow the spread. 

Yes.  If I wanted a floating hotel I'd cruise in the Caribbean, much more convenient.

The long and short of it is the individual US states have the databases of our vaccinations. The CDC currently accepts the EU Covid Certificate to prove vaccination status. Somehow the CDC needs to do the reciprocal. Get together with the states and standardize the QR codes from each state then apply to the EU Covid Certificate authorities to get them to accept our QR codes. I have messaged the CDC about the quandary we’re all in. Hopefully they’ll respond. 

The EU covid certificates are issued by countries in the EU. Norway is not in the EU proper, neither is the UK. We (and others) have reciprocal agreements. 

The issue, as far as I can see, is the US not issuing a centrally verified 

vaccine certificate, such as the UK does for NHS England/Wales/Northern Ireland and NHS Scotland 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

The EU covid certificates are issued by countries in the EU. Norway is not in the EU proper, neither is the UK. We (and others) have reciprocal agreements. 

The issue, as far as I can see, is the US not issuing a centrally verified 

vaccine certificate, such as the UK does for NHS England/Wales/Northern Ireland and NHS Scotland 

And do we see any of this standardized/resolved in 6 months?

The variant is creating a situation at least for now that they won't relax things as well.