220 volt Plug converter to a 110 volt

Ladybug5

My understanding is that their is a converter that can be purchased to use on the European 220 volt electrical plugs pictured below on Carnival cruise ships to convert to 110 volt US plugs. I have looked on Amazon & everything seems to be 2 prongs & the European appears to be 3 prongs. There is a round hole in the middle. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0515.jpg.0068cd0fd0b37faeb96d888d14b705c3.jpg

To ensure we're talking about the same thing,, a "converter" converts 110 to 220 or 220 down to 110.

I "think" you may be asking about an adaptor that you put on your 110 american plug, so it fits into the 220 outlet.

You don't need to worry about the center lug. Just a 2 prong adapter will work. As seen here 

Amazon.com : european adapters for travel

Side note: Your appliances that you are bringing,, such as chargers and such, if in the area where it plugs into the outlet,,, if you see "Input: 110 ~ 240"  those words mean that your product will work on either 110 or 220 with no problems. If it only says 110VAC, that means you will let the smoke out if you plug it into 220 and thats not good.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The center hole is merely where the screw is that holds the outlet together 

The outlet in the picture is actually common in Italy, the center hole is for the ground pin of Type L plugs. The outlet will also accept Schuko plugs with ground connection through the visible contacts on the top and bottom of the connector. This outlet also accepts the plug commonly found on UK shavers and toothbrushes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

To ensure we're talking about the same thing,, a "converter" converts 110 to 220 or 220 down to 110.

I "think" you may be asking about an adaptor that you put on your 110 american plug, so it fits into the 220 outlet.

You don't need to worry about the center lug. Just a 2 prong adapter will work. As seen here 

Amazon.com : european adapters for travel

Side note: Your appliances that you are bringing,, such as chargers and such, if in the area where it plugs into the outlet,,, if you see "Input: 110 ~ 240"  those words mean that your product will work on either 110 or 220 with no problems. If it only says 110VAC, that means you will let the smoke out if you plug it into 220 and thats not good.

"Let the smoke out" 🤣 I haven't heard that expression in ages. You must be some sort of electrician.lol

18 hours ago, Ladybug5 said:

My understanding is that their is a converter that can be purchased to use on the European 220 volt electrical plugs pictured below on Carnival cruise ships to convert to 110 volt US plugs. I have looked on Amazon & everything seems to be 2 prongs & the European appears to be 3 prongs. There is a round hole in the middle. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0515.jpg.0068cd0fd0b37faeb96d888d14b705c3.jpg

There should be 120v outlets also. Anyway. Get your adapter on ebay. 220 eu to 120 us

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324767377026?hash=item4b9da4e682:g:r3IAAOSwVhFfmtMf

We need 4 outlets & there is always 1 US & 1 European. We have been borrowing one from the TV. So we were hoping for a converter so that we could easily have enough if the converter would make 2 outlets off the 220 volt.

1 hour ago, Dwright826 said:

Instead of buying a converter for the 220, why don't you just buy a power strip for your 120? They sell Cruise approved power strips. Turns one outlet to five or six

While many may meet the cruise line standards,  NONE are "cruise approved"

Precisely. But I mean, within reason. As long as you're only powering cruise approved appliances. I.e. phone chargers, laptop chargers, etc. If you want to be sure sure, the power strips will have an amp rating. Add up the amps usage number found on all the things your plugging into the power strip and make sure you don't exceed power strips amp rating.

2 minutes ago, Ladybug5 said:

So if you use a cruise complaint power strip it will not over power the circuit?

Edited by Dwright826

5 hours ago, Ladybug5 said:

So if you use a cruise complaint power strip it will not over power the circuit?

These "cruise compliant" power strips do not have surge protectors in them.  Surge protectors do not have anything to do with overloading a circuit.  These power strips do not have a circuit breaker in them, and a circuit breaker or fuse is the only thing that will limit the current that flows in a circuit, and it is the amount of current flowing that poses a fire hazard from overheating the wiring.

5 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

Precisely. But I mean, within reason. As long as you're only powering cruise approved appliances. I.e. phone chargers, laptop chargers, etc. If you want to be sure sure, the power strips will have an amp rating. Add up the amps usage number found on all the things your plugging into the power strip and make sure you don't exceed power strips amp rating.

This is not correct.  Hair dryers, curlers, and straighteners are all "cruise approved" appliances.  If you plug all three into this "cruise compliant" power strip, and fire them all up, you will "over power" the circuit and trip the breaker.  You are correct that you need to watch the amp ratings of what you plug into an outlet, but that goes for everywhere, not just on a ship.  And, note that the circuit for the 110v outlets in cabins are typically for 2-3 cabins, so even if you plug just one hair dryer into the "cruise compliant" power strip, and the ladies in the adjacent cabins do as well at the same time, you can trip the breaker as well.  As above, this power strip has no control over how much power you draw from the power strip.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

These "cruise compliant" power strips do not have surge protectors in them.  Surge protectors do not have anything to do with overloading a circuit.  These power strips do not have a circuit breaker in them, and a circuit breaker or fuse is the only thing that will limit the current that flows in a circuit, and it is the amount of current flowing that poses a fire hazard from overheating the wiring.

This is not correct.  Hair dryers, curlers, and straighteners are all "cruise approved" appliances.  If you plug all three into this "cruise compliant" power strip, and fire them all up, you will "over power" the circuit and trip the breaker.  You are correct that you need to watch the amp ratings of what you plug into an outlet, but that goes for everywhere, not just on a ship.  And, note that the circuit for the 110v outlets in cabins are typically for 2-3 cabins, so even if you plug just one hair dryer into the "cruise compliant" power strip, and the ladies in the adjacent cabins do as well at the same time, you can trip the breaker as well.  As above, this power strip has no control over how much power you draw from the power strip.

You are correct. But I no where mentioned anything about a surge protector. I was more referencing what the power strip was able to handle. All wire has an amp rating. Even extension cords do. If you go over said rating, your wire have the potential To(and most likely will) overheat and burn. 

16 minutes ago, Dwright826 said:

But I no where mentioned anything about a surge protector.

You never mentioned surge protection, but I think the point is the reason these power strips (boxes) are "cruise compliant" is solely because they have no surge protection.  It is not because of their rated amperage or "what the power strip is able to handle".  If you do a search, @chengkp75 and others have posted or linked to very detailed explanations of the dangers of surge protected power strips at sea.

Furthermore, to answer @Ladybug5's  question, using a "cruise compliant" power strip has nothing to do with "not overpowering the circuit".  As you have implied, it is the total amperage being used on the circuit at one time.  Unfortunately on a cruise ship, this means whatever devices you are using, plus whatever devices are being used at the same time by the other (2) cabins sharing the circuit. If everyone is only using the circuits for charging phones, tablets etc, you should be fine.  If everyone is simultaneously using the devices mentioned by chengkp, then probably not, and you will trip the circuit breaker.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:25 PM, klfrodo said:

If it only says 110VAC, that means you will let the smoke out if you plug it into 220 and thats not good.

Many non-electrical engineer people are not aware that all electronics, including wire and cables, are manufactured with a small amount of smoke in them to enable operation. If the smoke ever escapes - the unit will no longer operate. The device can then be only used for it's secondary purpose...as a boat anchor.

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Many non-electrical engineer people are not aware that all electronics, including wire and cables, are manufactured with a small amount of smoke in them to enable operation. If the smoke ever escapes - the unit will no longer operate. The device can then be only used for it's secondary purpose...as a boat anchor.

LOVE IT!