Requirements/Exception question about those who cannot be vaccinated.

pr8hd

Apologies in advance for even bringing this up.

As we all should know by now, there are some people who cannot take the C-19 vaccinations.  It is possible that Mrs. Pr8hd may fall into that category - currently undergoing testing to determine the yes or no.   Not going to get into the specifics other than to say it is a legitimate medical issue.  

Planning to take a four night (MSC Meraviglia) Caribbean cruise in February 2022.  

MSC's website is essentially useless.  They desperately need new code monkeys.

All that said:  What, if any practices and policies are in place for those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons?   Or is the No Vaccine No Sail practice essentially written in stone?

Thanks!

Edited by pr8hd

As it stands right now through at least 10/31 according to their website everyone 12 and older has to be vaccinated. 
Maybe they will change that policy by Feb 22 but I wouldn’t book now and give them any money until they do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

There are currently no contingencies for those who medically cannot be vaccinated.  

That is a pretty sad situation.  

That is the answer I expected - thanks for replying.  

13 hours ago, styles27 said:

As it stands right now through at least 10/31 according to their website everyone 12 and older has to be vaccinated. 
Maybe they will change that policy by Feb 22 but I wouldn’t book now and give them any money until they do. 

Put down a deposit.  If nothing else it can be used later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pr8hd said:

Put down a deposit.  If nothing else it can be used later.

That's fine. However, we need to have realistic expectations about the situation up to the spring of 2022. How frail is your wife?

It should be possible to fly short hops; refusing food service and keeping your mask on. However, there's no guarantee that your neighbor won't be ill.

On my way back from Frankfurt, I was flying Biz Class and seated in a cubicle. I thought that it would be safe enough to drop my mask during meal service. But, this fat bloke across the aisle was coughing and wheezing. How did he get onboard??? 🙄

Edited by HappyInVan

She's about as frail as an Oak 2x4.  Not the issue, problem or point.

Being medically unable to take a vaccine is not a direct indicator of a persons overall health.   For all we know, it may be perfectly fine her to be vaccinated - all a matter of what the test results show.  

The entire point is;  What do we do for those who cannot be vaccinated?  It's a very unrealistic  expectation that we simply forbid people from commercial travel.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pr8hd said:

She's about as frail as an Oak 2x4.  Not the issue, problem or point.

Being medically unable to take a vaccine is not a direct indicator of a persons overall health.   For all we know, it may be perfectly fine her to be vaccinated - all a matter of what the test results show.  

The entire point is;  What do we do for those who cannot be vaccinated?  It's a very unrealistic  expectation that we simply forbid people from commercial travel.  

While I was reading about Carnival extending their protocols I noticed they do offer exemptions for those that cannot be vaccinated. 
Not sure how you feel about cruising with them but at least it’s an option. 

I haven’t investigated the other major lines but maybe one of them offers that option as well. 
Good luck!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, styles27 said:

While I was reading about Carnival extending their protocols I noticed they do offer exemptions for those that cannot be vaccinated. 
Not sure how you feel about cruising with them but at least it’s an option. 

I haven’t investigated the other major lines but maybe one of them offers that option as well. 
Good luck!

No issue sailing with Carnival or any other line.  Never had a bad day cruising with anyone.  😁    Picked the MSC cruise primarily because of the two-day overnight stay at Ocean Cay.   This would be our first time with MSC - always up for something new. 

The Bahamian government requires visitors be fully vaccinated, even on the private islands.  Probably why MSC has instituted the same requirement.   

Wait and see what happens. . . 

Edited by pr8hd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pr8hd said:

No issue sailing with Carnival or any other line.  Never had a bad day cruising with anyone.  😁    Picked the MSC cruise primarily because of the two-day overnight stay at Ocean Cay.   This would be our first time with MSC - always up for something new. 

The Bahamian government requires visitors be fully vaccinated, even on the private islands.  Probably why MSC has instituted the same requirement.   

Wait and see what happens. . . 

We feel the same.  A day on any cruise ship is way better then having to go to work! lol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, styles27 said:

We feel the same.  A day on any cruise ship is way better then having to go to work! lol

Just don’t ever take a job working on a cruise ship; the paradox could rip a hole in the time space continuum 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Just don’t ever take a job working on a cruise ship; the paradox could rip a hole in the time space continuum 

I mean I guess being a private business they can decide if they want to include people or not.   Some will end up allowing them like carnival and some won't probably like MSC since Italy was the second epicenter after China originally.   When it comes to cruising though it's important to know that its different from commercial travel like flights between cities,

whereas cruising is leisure travel, at least the way I think of it.  

37 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

That would still be an improvement over the several years of USN sea duty.  😄

• Haha 2

On 10/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, pr8hd said:

So, those who cannot be vaccinated should just stay at home indefinitely?  

As clearly stated in the OP - there are those people who CANNOT be vaccinated due to medical reasons.  If a person refuses vaccination because of a ethical, religious, moral choice - it is a choice.  I have no issue with refusing service or accommodations to those who choose not to be vaccinated.  Those who cannot be vaccinated are an entirely different matter.

I know someone who had Guillen Barre Syndrome and insists she cannot be vaccinated. However, the GBSociety claims that she can. I totally get why she would refuse though.

• Thanks 1