HAL Koningsdam 10/10/2021 Coastal California Trip Report LIVE(ish)

nimi17

On 10/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, nimi17 said:

Views from cabin 4209

A92ED1FB-44D7-4D2F-8084-0D1617ECBEDC.jpeg

38BB328D-E44C-4B84-B868-60802657A19E.jpeg

B73D881C-B7A4-4112-91AE-65F8D8A6E5C2.jpeg

52D0BCC8-B8E6-428E-8A6F-60B2C5DF8EAA.jpeg

79B6609C-E70D-48D9-A823-C27FF196FCA2.jpeg

You have one of the extended verandahs at the aft on Deck 4!  We travelled as a family with 3 cabins side by side on the Koningsdam and had the extended balconies....loved them!

L.

Edited by leerathje
Typo
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, Marion B said:

The live webcam had crisp, clear shots (with closeups) of the ship, from the moment she backed out of the B Street Pier until she sailed by the Cabrillo Monument into the Pacific.  What a beautiful sight.

Thanks for the menus.  Enjoy.

PS - Birthday flowers from your husband - he's a keeper.

Where do we find the webcams?

On 10/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, nimi17 said:

7B483977-021A-4C31-B0B9-453DED63BF77.jpeg

*One interesting thing of note: I took a picture of the dining room at 6:30pm and it was probably as empty as when we were seated for dinner at 5:15pm. Not too sure if the first night at the MDR was just an unpopular option for dinner or if it was due to the lower capacity of the ship. 

Great review, thanks so much. What are the traditional dining times?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

Please keep in mind that this is the first sailing in 1 1/2 years, the staff have not had passengers on board and they are trying to find the rhythm of working together.  I was on the first sailing in Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam and had the same hiccups. With each day they got better. It’s kinda like your first day at a new job. 

i will be on the K’dam on the October 31st sailing, so it will be interesting to see how they come together in the next few weeks.  
Enjoy the cruise, I know I sure did!

This was my experience also from the Nieuw Amsterdam. I am sure they will get the kinks worked out over the next couple weeks 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bonstersd said:

Do you mind sharing what type of cabin you have and/or the cabin number?  The balcony looks larger than most.

VB4209

I wasn’t aware of these extra deep balconies until I came across the following post:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k13119185-Aft_facing_or_extended_verandah_on_Koningsdam_Alaska-Cruises.html

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, Marion B said:

The live webcam had crisp, clear shots (with closeups) of the ship, from the moment she backed out of the B Street Pier until she sailed by the Cabrillo Monument into the Pacific.  What a beautiful sight.

Thanks for the menus.  Enjoy.

PS - Birthday flowers from your husband - he's a keeper.

☺️ He and I need to go on more cruises together. They tend to bring out the more romantic side of him 🥰

I wasn’t aware of webcams at the SD port and will have to start following them now 😍🤩 thank you for sharing that!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, SilvertoGold said:

This is an exciting, informative and fun thread!  Much appreciate all your info plus the dinner menu: wish I were in your place with so many excellent offerings, even some Mexican!

The flowers are lovely - lucky you! They should last well for the whole week.  The cabin stewards used to water ours, but keep an eye on them, as they will need a lot. 

Enjoy the balcony on your first sea day! 

I’m so glad you found this thread! ☺️ Thank you for the tip. My birds (of paradise 🦜) are starting to look a little tired and could use a watering. I’ll be sure to ask our delightful stewards, Bagus and Agus, to see if they’re able to water them. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:13 PM, slb1949 said:

Wish you bon voyage and happy birthday.  So excited for you. We are cruising on this ship in January to Hawaii. Counting days. Haven’t been on this ship so will be watching for all the details.  

Thank you 🙏 

Hawaii 🏝would be a DREAM 🤩 on this ship 🛳 I was just thinking last night how sad I was that we’re already halfway through the cruise and we still haven’t managed to explore the rest of it yet 😅

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, Loreto said:

Happy Birthday, nimi17!   Thank you for your wonderful posts and photos!  We will be on the Koningsdam in February, so I appreciate your review.

Karen

It’s my pleasure, Karen 🙏 Happy cruising! 🛳

On 10/11/2021 at 2:52 AM, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you so much for doing the posting.  It's so much fun and gives so much pleasure to see these beautiful pictures and hear what you have to say.  Happy 40th!  

I’ve found these trip report threads to be the next best thing to being on the ships themselves so thank you for the feedback!  And many thanks for the birthday wishes as well 🙏

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:53 AM, 0bnxshs said:

What an excellent job you are doing all while celebrating your birthday!  Thank you for taking us along with your efforts here.  Enjoy your cruise and Happy Birthday!

I credit the lucid and intelligible posts/responses to the port days as I was NOT in any shape to craft a coherent response after yesterday’s 🍷🍇Blend - Become your own winemaker event 😅while at sea! 

🙏thank you for the birthday wishes😀

Edited by nimi17
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm suprised and sorry to hear about all the problems with your dinner last night.  I just hope things improve quickly for you.  😲

Thank you 🙏 I chalk it up to it being the first sailing but some things we’ve encountered on board have been a bit…odd or peculiar, to say the least.

Details to follow soon. Sorry for the suspense but stay tuned for more! 😉

Edited by nimi17
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:20 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Enjoying all your posts so far.  If you are so inclined, try the specialty restaurants, especially tamarind.  It’s so good.  I do realize, it’s not everyone’s wishes to do that.

Thank you for the recommendation. We actually had a reservation for Nami the second night and will be posting pictures soon 🍣🍶

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Was the tendering rough?I remember taking a ferry or some kind of boat over there many, many moons ago.  It was so rough people were getting so sick to put it politely.  

It was smooth sailing for us but the captain said over the speaker that we had to sail to grab passengers from the last two tenders due to the rough waters later that afternoon? (That was my understanding but please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) 

They had to close the pool later that day and all the next. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:31 PM, bcummin said:

Happy Forty!  And may your sweet husband always remember to be so thoughtful.

Sorry that your first MDR dinner had surprises.  It sounds like the crew is still trying to get their act together.

Remember to ask for a birthday cake.  Just tell them which evening to serve it.  HAL's sugar free cakes are delicious.

Ask and you shall receive.  I often ask for a different pillow to suit me.  And more coat hangers.  They do want to make you happy.

Thank you for the Avalon photos.

Barbara

Thank you, Barbara 🙏

My husband and I have the same birthday and turns out he called in to ask for a birthday surprise for me to be presented on the first night and I ordered an hors d'oeuvre plate and birthday cake to be delivered to him on our last night.

Result? They forgot my birthday cake the first night, presented me with a lovely slice during dinner the second night as well as a cupcake delivered to our cabin later that evening.

He got his hors d'oeuvre plate in our cabin upon arrival. I hope he gets his slice of cake 🍰 on our final night.

To be continued…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, LuAnn said:

If you love deserts be sure to try the bread pudding in the buffet...I believe they have a different type each day...and it is fabulous..not too sure it's sugar free!! 🙂

I’ve been eyeing that bread pudding every time I walk through the buffet to get to the spa yet never remember to stop and grab some afterwards 😅 fingers crossed today will be the day that the twain shall meet 🍞🍮(flan + bread=bread pudding, I hope)🤤

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, Dismomx5 said:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your trip and thank you for taking a few of your friends along with you. 😉

Thank you so much! And it’s my pleasure. The more, the merrier! 🎉🥳🎊🍾👯‍♀️👯‍♀️👯‍♀️

• Like 2