HAL Koningsdam 10/10/2021 Coastal California Trip Report LIVE(ish)

nimi17

49 minutes ago, PSR said:

So your first gala night was Day 3? Usually it is on Day 2. I don't want to schedule a specialty restaurant on the first Gala night, so I was assuming it was always on Day 2, but I guess I shouldn't assume if it can be on Day 3 as well...

Should never assume....

First day was Catalina, second day was a sea day, as I understand the itinerary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSR said:

So your first gala night was Day 3? Usually it is on Day 2. I don't want to schedule a specialty restaurant on the first Gala night, so I was assuming it was always on Day 2, but I guess I shouldn't assume if it can be on Day 3 as well...

The second day was a port day.  Generally the second day will be the so called “gala” if it isn’t a port day but there can be variations on that too if it’s an early port day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PSR said:

I have this same question....changed my Pinnacle Grill reservations in hopes that I am avoiding Gala Night....however, my 10/31 looks like a slightly different itinerary as we go to Ensenada the 1st day out.  Anyone have thoughts on when our 1st Gala night will be...I was thinking 1st sea day???

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I've done quite a bit of cruising, but never had a port call to Avalon.  Hope you guys are enjoying the good ship Koningsdam.

Thank you 🙏  This was our first time with a call in Avalon and I’m so glad we did as I’ve never been this way before. I found it to be such a gem and loved exploring its quirky little nooks and crannies. 

On 10/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, cruise kitty said:

@nimi17 thank you so much for your report, we'll be boarding in about 39 days...  love your pics of the spa areas 🙂

Thank you 🙏 it’s definitely been my pleasure! This was our first time getting a spa pass for the duration of a cruise and I highly recommend it, especially with it being so chilly today in SF. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the information. We will be boarding on Sunday and were wondering about dress code in dining room on non gala nights. We have never cruised HAL. We just came back from Alaska on RC ship and we were casual in dining room. Do we need to avoid the dining room if not dressing up?

Thank you 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

I have this same question....changed my Pinnacle Grill reservations in hopes that I am avoiding Gala Night....however, my 10/31 looks like a slightly different itinerary as we go to Ensenada the 1st day out.  Anyone have thoughts on when our 1st Gala night will be...I was thinking 1st sea day???

Normally,  if the ship sails from a port by 3pm, there COULD be a Gala night. What happens the next day after Ensenada? Like the previous examples,  a sea day? I think you could have the answer on your own...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

Yes I agree.  The sea day.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, kj329 said:

Loving this thread as we are doing this exact cruise November 7-14. I have a couple questions. How crowded does the ship seem? are they at 50% capacity? more? less?

We haven't cruised Holland before, are the specialty restaurants tough to book? or with lowered capacity is everything half empty? We would like to eat at some of the specialty restaurants, but would like to see what is offered in the MDR before we book. This means booking the day of if possible. Is this possible? On a related note, does the MDR menu change daily? or is it the same? Thank you!

*one more thing: we dialed 88 yesterday to ask about reservations for the specialty restaurants and they are in abundance of those but there were very few spots to reserve in the MDR.

We ended up dropping in at 5:15 pm yesterday while on our second port day and had no problem getting a table in the MDR that way.

We’ve walked by the specialty restaurants and from a cursory glance there doesn’t appear to be any social distancing as the tables looked full during the busiest hours.

Nami wasn’t crowded when we went but our reservation was at 5 pm and they had just opened so YMMV.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I don’t want to sabotage this blog, but just wanted to comment briefly. I am also on this sailing. This is my experience. Nothing feels crowded. I haven’t had to wait anywhere for anything. Plenty of seats in the showrooms. The shows have been first class. Very talented dancers and singers. (BB King has an amazing female singer). Plenty of pool loungers. I was a little disappointed that the lido pool and hot tubs were closed because of high seas. It didn’t feel that rough to me. But, safety first. The food in the lido at lunchtime has been fantastic. We get room service every morning and it has always been within 5 minutes of the time I requested. All of the staff are so friendly. Our room stewards are wonderful. The bartenders are great! Because this is the first sailing and because of the comments about waiting for dinner in the MDR that I have read about here and heard onboard from fellow passengers, we have chosen to eat in the specialty restaurants every night. Twice in Tamarind and once in Caneleto. We have special requests and they have accommodated us perfectly. We haven’t had to wait for our food at all. Everything is nicely presented and hot. I don’t have one complaint. This morning we are in San Francisco for our overnight stay. 

Thank you for providing your experiences onboard. I’m glad you haven’t experienced any hiccups.

We’ve yet to experience the dance shows. The comedy shows last night were standing room only on the 3rd level (can’t say if it was the same on level 2).

I, personally, can’t wait to get off the ship to eat some more SF sourdough 🥖

Cheers 🥂

• Like 4

21 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Really enjoying this thread.  Appreciate all the comments and photos.    With so many people doing live threads it sure has helped my boredom and provides me with a sense I’m on the cruises too.  Hubby & I don’t go out much so thank you for doing this.  

You are very welcome 🙏 please feel free to make a special request for our port day in Ensenada (photos of the stores, ship while docked, etc.) 😄 

We won’t be venturing too far from our pier in SF today but I hope to make it to a local restaurant my husband and I haven’t been to since our first date over  11 years ago 🍕🛳

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

For those with Anytime Dining,  MDR reservations can be made as soon as the Specialty Dining reservations are available online. I assume those using Navigator can do the same.

Because we booked with promos that included 2 Specialty Restaurants and our TA gave us 2 more, we selected Anytime Dining. I reserved the Specialty Restaurant and MDR times on 8/18 for our 10/20/2021 cruise and on 10/8 for our 2/20/2022 cruise.

Thank you for sharing this. I really need to find a TA of my own as we’ve just been using Costco for paid cruises and  booking through the cruise line directly if it’s a complimentary cruise offer.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bcummin said:

Thank you for the exquisite photos.

We are so glad that you are enjoying your "Welcome to Holland America Line" cruise, in spite of surprises.  I am thinking that maybe in-person requests get more accurate results than digital requests???  

The Bread Pudding at lunch in the Lido is special.  My other favorites are The Raisin Bun, Museli, and an Egg Benedict at breakfast.  I love the Asian station at lunch time.

We used to get a whole little birthday cake, along with the waiters gathering to sing Happy Birthday.  Covid seems to have changed that.  Years ago one tablemate had requested a Rum Cake.  It came floating in rum and was especially enjoyed by all.  Our last Anniversary cake came labeled "Happy Birthday."  We said thank you and enjoyed it all the more.

One of your shipmates is like a HAL celebrity.  Jeff, alias Tanman, has a private blog where he posts great photographs.  You might spot him out nurturing his suntan. 

Happy Birthday to your Dear Husband.

Barbara   

Thank you very much, Barbara, for the birthday wishes. I’ll be sure to pass them on to my husband once he wakes.

You’re absolutely correct about requests made in person being more correct. I stopped by the guest services desk to inquire if his birthday cake was still on the way and mentioned that he was disappointed that the gift messages he sent along with my flower arrangement never arrived. The agent said it was a shame that the messages never found me as they were very lovely. I bet the agent notated our account with the special requests and made sure the desserts found us later that day.

A rum cake sounds like absolute heaven! 

We swung by Lido last night for a late snack and although bread pudding wasn’t available, there was a pork belly sandwich that looked AMAZING! 

And that message that was to accompany my arrangement? “We don't love like flowers with only one season behind us; when we love, a sap older than memory rises in our arms.” - Rainer Maria Rilke

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you.  I was afraid of that.  I've had some bad tendering experiences so I think I'll likely stay on the ship.

I’m so sorry to hear about your bad tendering experiences but wish you smooth sailing for Avalon as it’s too charming a town to be missed 😄

• Like 2

20 hours ago, treesah said:

Nimi, enjoying your photos and narrative.  Very generous of you to share your adventures.  We'll be following you on the K-dam on 10/31.  A belated happy birthday to you and your honey.  

Thank you. We appreciate the birthday wishes 😄

I’m so excited for you! The weather has been in the 50s/60s while in port so please be sure to bring something warm. 

The crew (the majority of them, at least) aren’t allowed to get off the ship in SF during this sailing but will be able to during your sailing two weeks from now. I expect there to be a lot of excitement during your cruise!

Happy sailing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That sucks about the Grand dutch and the guest services.  That's much longer than normal in my experience.  Hope it gets better for you.

Thank you. We were informed by the Dutch Cafe staff that their shipment for the afternoon snack menu didn’t make it to the ship in time but we were able to get the other items like the pea soup, sandwiches, etc.

I’ll report back later this week when we stop by for hot menu items to see if kitchen times have improved. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Marion B said:

Nimi17,

Birthday wishes to your husband.  Glad to hear the high seas are bringing out the romantic in him.

Continuing to enjoy photos nd menus.

Looking forward to more details.

Did I understand correctly - you had a rapid test in San Diego?  Do you mind sharing where and how much?  In case our appointments at home fall through, I'd like to know where we can get tested there as Plan B.  Thanks.

Continue enjoying.  

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Marion. I’ll be sure to pass them along to him 🙂

Yes, I scheduled a rapid test as soon as bookings were available (at the 13-day mark through CVS in El Cajon, CA) through CVS online. That location’s address is 2760 Fletcher Pkwy, El Cajon, CA 92020. They are one of the few currently doing rapid tests in the San Diego area.

I also did a nasal PCR via Quest Diagnostics at the Walmart in Escondido. The turnaround for that one was 24 hours for me. I booked that using this link from HAL: https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test

There was no fee for either test. I provided my health insurance information in order to schedule both. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bhwestgrove said:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful update nimi17, it’s been great fun! Quick question about the entertainment in the main showroom/World Stage. In years past, the main shows ran somewhat during each set dining time for the “opposite” diners, so during early seating for those dining late. With so many people transitioning to anytime dining, I’m wondering when the main shows (not late night etc) are occurring. Would you have that information available?  I’m working on our dining reservations for our January sailing and still love the production shows that typically play on “formal” evenings. TIA, and enjoy your cruise!

I’m so glad to hear you’re having fun following along 🙂

The Step One Dance Company had two shows on our last sea day: 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm. I’ll be posting the When and Wheres we’ve received so far shortly. I hope that can tide you over until then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimi17 said:

Thank you for providing your experiences onboard. I’m glad you haven’t experienced any hiccups.

We’ve yet to experience the dance shows. The comedy shows last night were standing room only on the 3rd level (can’t say if it was the same on level 2).

I, personally, can’t wait to get off the ship to eat some more SF sourdough 🥖

Cheers 🥂

Thanks, @nimi17. One thing that I failed to mention is that our TV remote doesn’t work for the on demand movies. It seems to get stuck and won’t work, no matter how many buttons I push, but it works for everything else. We told guest services and they sent up another remote, but we still have the same issue. It’s not a big deal because we usually go to bed by the time we get back to our room. Our room steward said it is happening to many guests and they will be replacing the remotes soon. Just curious if you have experienced that, too? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, nimi17 said:

I loved following along with you and your mother on your Alaskan trip not too long ago 🤩 You were a major inspiration for this undertaking and while I haven’t managed to keep up with you (there were so many great photos from your trip!), I am certainly enjoying myself attempting to 😅

Thank you so much, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It is so great following along with your trip and it is answering many of the questions I have before boarding Koningsdam next month. 

I really love having all the live from threads. It has been fun seeing everyone’s perspectives, and I must echo @Florida_gal_50that it is important to share both the good and the bad. No sailing is ever perfect and it really helps shape expectations and make informed decisions. For me the MDR menus continue to be the biggest disappointment, but I will mostly do specialty dining this cruise and see how that goes. The lido has also been a great option post pandemic (not that it wasn’t good before) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2