Summit Docking in Miami

W283386

I have been watching the Miami Cruise Port live cam  and am wondering why the Summit docks before turning around in the turning basin.  All other ships seem to turn around to face out after arriving in port.  This week it took the summit over one hour from leaving the dock to actually leaving the channel. 

I just got off Summit on Saturday. It's probably to facilitate guest departure. The Retreat guests leave from the Retreat Lounge, which is on the port side, and there's a door to the deck. You just leave and are nearly right at the gangway. 

15 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I just got off Summit on Saturday. It's probably to facilitate guest departure. The Retreat guests leave from the Retreat Lounge, which is on the port side, and there's a door to the deck. You just leave and are nearly right at the gangway. 

Speaking of the gangway…… is it an especially long walk from the terminal to the ship?  I know at Terminal 25 at Port Everglades I usually request wheelchair assistance as it’s quite a long trek from the Retreat Access in the terminal to the actual entry to the ship.  Having no experience in Miami I’m just wondering if it’s a lengthy walk to board.  I know “lengthy walk” is a subjective term

but I’m just looking for some opinions.  Thanks!

Edited by jcpc

8 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Speaking of the gangway…… is it an especially long walk from the terminal to the ship?  I know at Terminal 25 at Port Everglades I usually request wheelchair assistance as it’s quite a long trek from the Retreat Access in the terminal to the actual entry to the ship.  Having no experience in Miami I’m just wondering if it’s a lengthy walk to board.  I know “lengthy walk” is a subjective term

It's a pretty good hike, yes, especially if you consider the distance from the passenger drop-off/pickup area. I can't compare to terminal 25 (yet, give me a few weeks), and I bet it's not quite as long, but I'd get that wheelchair. It can only be a small mistake. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

I've done both recently and they're comparable.  I asked for a wheelchair for both.  

• Thanks 1