Is Royal Caribbean offering PCR testing before disembarking for flights to Canada?

sprdave63

Hello fellow Canadian Cruisers, I apologize in advance if this question has already been tabled I searched and could not find a recent thread.

My wife and I are "attempting" to finalize a cruise on Harmony in January 2022 and I was told verbally by the RC booking agent that we would be offered/provided a complimentary PCR Covid test before disembarkation in order to enter into Canada. We will arrive back in Port Canaveral on a Sunday and it looks as though it will be tough to source a facility that can perform this PCR test in order to fly home that same Sunday.

Does anyone know if PCR testing is available on board whether complementary or not?

Thank you in advance,

Stay SAFE !!

Dave

2 hours ago, nissach said:

I wish Carnival was, but apparently they are not offering what other lines are.

That has been brought up numerous times on the Carnival section as well as John Heald's facebook group.

I like to think that they are the cheapest cruise line and so the cheap cost of the cruise plus paying my own pcr test is way cheaper then cruising elsewhere.

For example if I did NCL for New Years it would be $2400 with a pcr test. Carnival is $600 without.

16 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

That has been brought up numerous times on the Carnival section as well as John Heald's facebook group.

I like to think that they are the cheapest cruise line and so the cheap cost of the cruise plus paying my own pcr test is way cheaper then cruising elsewhere.

For example if I did NCL for New Years it would be $2400 with a pcr test. Carnival is $600 without.

I am planning to cancel by Carnival b2b cruises (as shared on John Heald's page) given they do not offer the testing onboard.  I would be flying out of Orlando airport which does have a testing site HOWEVER while they do list the PCR test they say 'subject to availability'?  HUH - how does that work if it's not available?  LOL

Then there is the cost:  $149 US pp, for results by 11 pm the NEXT night meaning possibly a 2 night hotel stay, or $199 US pp for results by 11 pm same day (meaning one night's hotel stay post cruise).  When I add the cost of the tests/hotels/food etc.  I am adding another $800 US to my trip!  Rather spend that onboard LOL

Looking at Celebrity which has fantastic perks (20% off, free drink package, free wifi, prepaid gratuities and another canadian/ontario resident discount) add to this the free PCR testing (and less stress/less vacation days) - it makes it very attractive and competitive with the price I paid for my carnival cruise....

Edited by Froufie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

For many, I'd think that the convenience of having a PCR test on board rather than getting one in the port before flying home, possibly with an overnight stay, would be something they'd happily pay extra for. I'm surprised that Carnival hasn't jumped on the opportunity to make a few dollars selling tests to Canadian passengers.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

For many, I'd think that the convenience of having a PCR test on board rather than getting one in the port before flying home, possibly with an overnight stay, would be something they'd happily pay extra for. I'm surprised that Carnival hasn't jumped on the opportunity to make a few dollars selling tests to Canadian passengers.

I haven't looked at Carnival's current COVID policies, but if it is similar to Celebrity's I'm wondering if they stopped the testing on board for flights home because of the risk of someone testing positive on the ship.  For Celebrity, if you test positive on the ship their policy says they pay to get you home, so by doing the test for free on the ship, they are risking asymptomatic positives that they may not otherwise have known about.  For Carnival, if you get off the ship and have to get your test to go home, if you test positive at that point, you are off the ship (and based on Celebrity's policy at least) no longer their problem or their expense.

I am really glad Celebrity is giving the tests though and I hope they don't change that policy!

16 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

I haven't looked at Carnival's current COVID policies, but if it is similar to Celebrity's I'm wondering if they stopped the testing on board for flights home because of the risk of someone testing positive on the ship.  For Celebrity, if you test positive on the ship their policy says they pay to get you home, so by doing the test for free on the ship, they are risking asymptomatic positives that they may not otherwise have known about.  For Carnival, if you get off the ship and have to get your test to go home, if you test positive at that point, you are off the ship (and based on Celebrity's policy at least) no longer their problem or their expense.

I am really glad Celebrity is giving the tests though and I hope they don't change that policy!

From my reading of Carnival's current policy, if you show symptoms or test positive, they take no financial responsibility for quarantine ashore, so I'm not sure that selling PCR tests would pose a fiscal risk to them:

• For guests who must quarantine locally, Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements; however, all related expenses will be the guests’ responsibility.

One question that does come to mind, however, is whether they have ever purchased PCR testing equipment for their ships.