Alps lookout point near Villefranche

Picklesmith

Next early October we will be in Villefranche from 9am to 6pm.  We plan to visit Monaco. We are leaning towards public transportation vs a tour to control our own time. After, we will likely spend our time in Nice or Villefranche unless there is opportunity to see something more grand and natural.  Hoping for a lookout point or park in the Alps where we can view a peak or look down on the Riviera.  Not looking for a shopping town in the mountains. It seems like the national park is too difficult and far to attempt plus no tours have surfaced so far.  Wondering if there is anything closer that is reasonable to get to in +/- 3 hours or,  if it is even worth the attempt over just returning to the port area.   Side note:  We are also stopping in Marseilles and other than a boat trip to Calanques (if avail in Oct)have no other ideas yet. If there is an Alps option that is better from that port, please share your suggestions!

2 hours ago, Picklesmith said:

Next early October we will be in Villefranche from 9am to 6pm.  We plan to visit Monaco. We are leaning towards public transportation vs a tour to control our own time. After, we will likely spend our time in Nice or Villefranche unless there is opportunity to see something more grand and natural.  Hoping for a lookout point or park in the Alps where we can view a peak or look down on the Riviera.  Not looking for a shopping town in the mountains. It seems like the national park is too difficult and far to attempt plus no tours have surfaced so far.  Wondering if there is anything closer that is reasonable to get to in +/- 3 hours or,  if it is even worth the attempt over just returning to the port area.   Side note:  We are also stopping in Marseilles and other than a boat trip to Calanques (if avail in Oct)have no other ideas yet. If there is an Alps option that is better from that port, please share your suggestions!

We lived in Nice for a few years, and visit often, and we are quite familiar with the area.  There is no way you can get to the Alps Maritimes and back to the ship in the amount of time you have.  Public transportation will add a lot of time to your plans because you simply have to wait for the bus, train, etc. The most efficient use of your time , and the most expensive, is to have a private tour waiting for you and taking you wherever you want to go.  

You are going to be in port for nine hours (make that eight to allow for disembarking and embarking).  You say you want to visit Monaco first which will take 2-3 hours.  Then, if you go to Nice next, I would recommend walking up the Chateau (ruins of an ancient Roman castle) or taking the little train (petit train) through old Nice that will also get you there, for a fabulous view of the shore line. You can also stop at Eze on your way to or from Monaco which is a lovely Medieval town and has a spectacular view of the Riviera.  The Alps are a three hour ride from Nice. 

If you have a private tour and you decide to skip Monaco, you can go up the mountains to Gourdon, St Paul de Vence or St Jeannet that have great views of the coast line from much higher places. 

Look at a map and decide what is possible.  You might want to plan on a return trip for a driving vacation and I would love to give you hints on the "arrière-pays Niçois" (the back mountain country behind Nice).  There is even a little train that goes all the way up to the mountain villages for a wonderful day trip (le Train de Pignes).

Marseille is way too far away from the Alps.  You cannot even see them from there.  

16 hours ago, Picklesmith said:

Next early October we will be in Villefranche from 9am to 6pm.  We plan to visit Monaco. We are leaning towards public transportation vs a tour to control our own time. After, we will likely spend our time in Nice or Villefranche unless there is opportunity to see something more grand and natural.  Hoping for a lookout point or park in the Alps where we can view a peak or look down on the Riviera. 

Picklesmith - 

I see this was your first post on CC.  If you check this again, I think I have the solution to your wish to see the mountains.  It does involve renting a car or booking a private tour that will accomplish the same routes.  No way to do this using public transport and there is no bus tour that does this, but it does cover all the points you make.

The Pre-Alps plunge to the sea between Nice and Menton.  There is a high cliff overlooking the shore where Villefranche and Monaco are located.  There are three magnificent and roughly parallel roads that go from Nice to Menton - the Corniches.   These are the iconic roads you have seen in movies (James Bond, Grace Kelly, etc.)

Leaving Villefranche, backtrack towards Nice to follow the signs for the Grande Corniche - the highest.  (Make sure you don't get into the A8 toll highway.) This road was built by Napoleon along the route of the Via Aurelia. It has eyepopping views of the mountains and the sea.  Stop at the Belvedere lookout.  Go on to the village of La Turbie where you will see the Trophy of the Alps, a Roman monument to Augustus.  From there you will see spectacular views of the Alps on one side and of the Mediterranean on the other.  On a very clear day, you might be able to see the faint outline of Corsica in the horizon. Go on just a little further and follow the signs to Monaco and Beausoleil.  This is the famous zigzag road (Route D53) that takes you to down to Monaco.  There are lookout spots along the road. 

After touring Monaco, return by the Moyenne (Middle) Corniche.  Eze is a few minutes away.  Pull up there and wander around the medieval village where there are also great views of Cap Ferrat and the coast.  

Continue towards Nice.  The Moyenne Corniche ends in the port of Nice.  Follow the road around the port and it becomes the Quai des Etats-Unis, which in turn becomes the Promenade des Anglais.  As you go around the port, you will see a promontory with a huge carved sculpture (War Memorial) on the side.  At the top of that hill is the Chateau of Nice.  Just around the road off the Quai des Etats-Unis is Old Nice.  There is an underground garage on your right (parking Sulzer).  Walk back towards the Hotel Suisse for the stairs or elevator to the Chateau for views of the Baie des Anges.  Come back down and go into Old Nice and the Flower Market.

After seeing Nice, head back to Villefranche along the Basse (Lower) Corniche.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Thank you Marazul, this was very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to respond.  I will check into car rental, private tours and map this out.  I suspected I was trying to add to much into the day.  We are efficient travelers but dont want to miss out being too rushed or worse - miss the ship!

Edited by Picklesmith
added text

51 minutes ago, Picklesmith said:

Thank you Marazul, this was very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to respond.  I will check into car rental, private tours and map this out.  I suspected I was trying to add to much into the day.  We are efficient travelers but dont want to miss out being too rushed or worse - miss the ship!

Happy to help. If you follow my second post, you will have plenty of time to be back in Villefranche and walk around for at least a leisurely hour before you have to board.

Safe travels.

23 minutes ago, marazul said:

Happy to help. If you follow my second post, you will have plenty of time to be back in Villefranche and walk around for at least a leisurely hour before you have to board.

Safe travels.

The drive of Villefranche-La Turbie-Monaco is less than one hour.  Add time for picture taking.  Monaco should be 2-3 hours.  Monaco-Nice is 30-40 minutes.  Add one hour to visit Eze.  Nice sightseeing can be 1-2 hours.  Drive to Villefranche would be 20 minutes with no traffic.  Add one hour to be safe. 

20 hours ago, marazul said:

Picklesmith - 

I see this was your first post on CC.  If you check this again, I think I have the solution to your wish to see the mountains.  It does involve renting a car or booking a private tour that will accomplish the same routes.  No way to do this using public transport and there is no bus tour that does this, but it does cover all the points you make.

The Pre-Alps plunge to the sea between Nice and Menton.  There is a high cliff overlooking the shore where Villefranche and Monaco are located.  There are three magnificent and roughly parallel roads that go from Nice to Menton - the Corniches.   These are the iconic roads you have seen in movies (James Bond, Grace Kelly, etc.)

Leaving Villefranche, backtrack towards Nice to follow the signs for the Grande Corniche - the highest.  (Make sure you don't get into the A8 toll highway.) This road was built by Napoleon along the route of the Via Aurelia. It has eyepopping views of the mountains and the sea.  Stop at the Belvedere lookout.  Go on to the village of La Turbie where you will see the Trophy of the Alps, a Roman monument to Augustus.  From there you will see spectacular views of the Alps on one side and of the Mediterranean on the other.  On a very clear day, you might be able to see the faint outline of Corsica in the horizon. Go on just a little further and follow the signs to Monaco and Beausoleil.  This is the famous zigzag road (Route D53) that takes you to down to Monaco.  There are lookout spots along the road. 

After touring Monaco, return by the Moyenne (Middle) Corniche.  Eze is a few minutes away.  Pull up there and wander around the medieval village where there are also great views of Cap Ferrat and the coast.  

Continue towards Nice.  The Moyenne Corniche ends in the port of Nice.  Follow the road around the port and it becomes the Quai des Etats-Unis, which in turn becomes the Promenade des Anglais.  As you go around the port, you will see a promontory with a huge carved sculpture (War Memorial) on the side.  At the top of that hill is the Chateau of Nice.  Just around the road off the Quai des Etats-Unis is Old Nice.  There is an underground garage on your right (parking Sulzer).  Walk back towards the Hotel Suisse for the stairs or elevator to the Chateau for views of the Baie des Anges.  Come back down and go into Old Nice and the Flower Market.

After seeing Nice, head back to Villefranche along the Basse (Lower) Corniche.  

Excellent self-drive road tour suggestion by Marazul. 🙂

I've mapped it out with the help of Mr Google - perhaps Marazul can check that I got it right.

https://goo.gl/maps/bWhBVPNc7VQLc1Fh8 

BTW, since Villefranche is a tender port, it's likely to take 90 minutes+ to disembark, and passengers will need to be back at the tender quay one hour before scheduled sailing.

So a 9-hour stop will give you only 6 hours - and up to an hour less for wiggle-time if you stray out of Villefranche.

But that route takes less than two hours, so plenty of time for stops & photo-opportunities, and a wander round unexciting but very attractive & laid-back Villefranche at the end.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Excellent self-drive road tour suggestion by Marazul. 🙂

I've mapped it out with the help of Mr Google - perhaps Marazul can check that I got it right.

https://goo.gl/maps/bWhBVPNc7VQLc1Fh8 

BTW, since Villefranche is a tender port, it's likely to take 90 minutes+ to disembark, and passengers will need to be back at the tender quay one hour before scheduled sailing.

So a 9-hour stop will give you only 6 hours - and up to an hour less for wiggle-time if you stray out of Villefranche.

But that route takes less than two hours, so plenty of time for stops & photo-opportunities, and a wander round unexciting but very attractive & laid-back Villefranche at the end.

JB 🙂

Hi JB -

Thanks for your kind words.

There is a BIG problem with your map.  It skips the Grande Corniche entirely.  Google takes you to the A8 Autoroute and then has you take the exit for La Turbie and then on down the zigzag road.  The A8 has good views of the mountains but not of the sea, and none of the charm of the Corniche. Plus no place to stop to admire the views. 

The Grande Corniche is Route D2564.  When you are at the port of Nice you will see signs at the corner of Blvd. Carnot and Blvd. Lech Walesa directing you to each of the Corniches and the A8.  (If you are in Nice, you go along the top of the port on Blvd. Carnot and turn left.  If you are coming from Villefranche, the street around the port is the Blvd. de Stalingrad which becomes the Blvd. Lech Walesa and you keep going straight.) Here is the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bd+Stalingrad,+06300+Nice,+France/@43.6982155,7.2867224,19.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x12cddab8a78ab57d:0x582a55083966b2c8!8m2!3d43.6978941!4d7.2868258?hl=en

From then on, there are only small street signs for the Grande Corniche.  Essentially, the sign at the port takes you up the Blvd. Lech Walesa which becomes the Blvd. de Riquier which becomes the Blvd. de l'Armée des Alpes, and then, in about 4 or 5 blocks, you turn right unto the Blvd. Bischoffheim.  (A left turn instead would take you to the A8.) That is the beginning of th GC.  Here is a picture of the turn, but you may have to spin it around to see the signs:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7081331,7.2928166,3a,51.2y,43.52h,81.35t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2xglmDHlq1RwYZhJzHaU1w!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D2xglmDHlq1RwYZhJzHaU1w%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D162.80249%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

In this area, the Grand Corniche takes you up and around Mont Boron, which has some good views, a park, and the Fort of Mont Alban on it, if you ever want to go back and look around.  

You can also get to the Grande Corniche from Villefranche on the other side of Mont Boron.  There is a very convoluted route from the Blvd Napoleon III to the Av. Leopold II,  just above the Villefranche beach that will take you to the GC.  I will let you have the fun of figuring it out.  

You might want to repost a link to your route map using the Grande Corniche instead of the A8.  The OP and others might enjoy it.

Edited by marazul

On 10/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, Picklesmith said:

Hi Picklesmith.  Hope you don't mind me chiming in here.....I simply adored Villefranche when I went on my first Med cruise back in 2019. I wrote a review and then strangely never finished it (seems odd to try and finish now though)....but if you click this link and go to post #33, it starts the day in Villefranche.  We booked a tour with italytours.eu (if you are interested see if Guy is still available). But we just had a splendid day. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2746620-vision-of-the-seas-mediterranean-review-aug-10-22-2019/page/2/

8 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Hi Picklesmith.  Hope you don't mind me chiming in here.....I simply adored Villefranche when I went on my first Med cruise back in 2019. I wrote a review and then strangely never finished it (seems odd to try and finish now though)....but if you click this link and go to post #33, it starts the day in Villefranche.  We booked a tour with italytours.eu (if you are interested see if Guy is still available). But we just had a splendid day. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2746620-vision-of-the-seas-mediterranean-review-aug-10-22-2019/page/2/

Hey, given that none of us have had much chance to travel since 2019 it's still 'fresh news'!!!

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hey, given that none of us have had much chance to travel since 2019 it's still 'fresh news'!!!

I suppose it is! Maybe I'll pick it up and just blame you when everyone wonders why a post from last year and a review from a 2019 cruise is on the first page. 😜

• 5 weeks later...

So here is a question for Marazul and JB (and anyone else).  As a long time user of rental cars in Europe, we have always found renting a car in Villafranche sur Mer to be a challenge.  At one time there was an agency that would rent near the tender pier but I cannot find any information that leads me to believe this still is possible.  Since you folks suggested a rental car for the OP (and I do agree it is a terrific option) how would you rent?  While it is possible to go to Nice and get a car that is somewhat of a hassle and wastes valuable port time.

Hank

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, Picklesmith said:

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:
On 10/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, Picklesmith said:

Expand  

Get a rental car from Nice airport....head  out on the D6202....   60 miles to Gorges Cains  and Gorges Daluis   in the Maratime Alps     Fantastic  scenery ...then continue to D955 down to D952 in Castellane and   Gorges Verdon   the french grand canyon     about 9 hours rt....

101.JPG

098.JPG

121.JPG

119.JPG

125.JPG

On 1/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Get a rental car from Nice airport....head  out on the D6202....   60 miles to Gorges Cains  and Gorges Daluis   in the Maratime Alps     Fantastic  scenery ...then continue to D955 down to D952 in Castellane and   Gorges Verdon   the french grand canyon     about 9 hours rt....

The gorges are spectacular and well worth visiting. The route ends in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, a beautiful mountain village with wonderful potteries. 

This trip is NOT feasible in a one day port stop in Villefranche.  

This is a FULL DAY drive for people staying in the area.  To drive from Nice to the Gorges de Cians, to the gorges de Daluis, then to Castellane, the Gorges du Verdon and on to Moustiers takes 5 hours ONE WAY.  One can simplify the trip by only driving to Castellane, the Gorges du Verdon and Moustiers in 3 hours ONE WAY.  The return to Nice from Moustiers would add over 2 hours.  And this does not include the time to rent and return the car.  Also, all these roads are "D" roads: winding, 2-lane mountain roads.  A newby to the area would need more time.

PS- I see you also posted this for someone who is staying in Nice a couple of days and that would be great if they are interested in nature or if this is not their first trip to the area.  I will add to your post there with driving details.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

The gorges are spectacular and well worth visiting. The route ends in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, a beautiful mountain village with wonderful potteries. 

This trip is NOT feasible in a one day port stop in Villefranche.  

This is a FULL DAY drive for people staying in the area.  To drive from Nice to the Gorges de Cians, to the gorges de Daluis, then to Castellane, the Gorges du Verdon and on to Moustiers takes 5 hours ONE WAY.  One can simplify the trip by only driving to Castellane, the Gorges du Verdon and Moustiers in 3 hours ONE WAY.  The return to Nice from Moustiers would add over 2 hours.  And this does not include the time to rent and return the car.  Also, all these roads are "D" roads: winding, 2-lane mountain roads.  A newby to the area would need more time.

PS- I see you also posted this for someone who is staying in Nice a couple of days and that would be great if they are interested in nature or if this is not their first trip to the area.  I will add to your post there with driving details.

The cruises I have been on are from 0800-2300......15 hours.   I do not go past Point Sublime in Vercour...   

14 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I do not go past Point Sublime in Vercour...   

Too bad.  Have you driven the entire Gorges du Verdon?  If not, try the simpler drive from Nice to Castellane and on to Moustiers on your next opportunity.  The Gorges from Castellane to Moustiers can also be done from Toulon in about 6-7 hours.

Have you also driven around the Gorges du Loup?  Much closer to Nice and it includes a stop in the gorgeous village of Gourdon.  Take the D2210 west from Vence, past Tourrettes-sur-Loup (stop there too), to the D6. Then north on the D6 along the gorge to the D3 and down to Gourdon.  Various options for the return after that.

And you have a well-chosen long stop in the area.  Most cruises tendering to Villefranche have an 8-9 hour stop.

59 minutes ago, marazul said:

Too bad.  Have you driven the entire Gorges du Verdon?  If not, try the simpler drive from Nice to Castellane and on to Moustiers on your next opportunity.  The Gorges from Castellane to Moustiers can also be done from Toulon in about 6-7 hours.

Have you also driven around the Gorges du Loup?  Much closer to Nice and it includes a stop in the gorgeous village of Gourdon.  Take the D2210 west from Vence, past Tourrettes-sur-Loup (stop there too), to the D6. Then north on the D6 along the gorge to the D3 and down to Gourdon.  Various options for the return after that.

And you have a well-chosen long stop in the area.  Most cruises tendering to Villefranche have an 8-9 hour stop.

Oh yes  driven it 2 times. last May..  Friends hiked the gorge ..the De Martatial.  I have stayed in  Moustires at Bastide de Moustiers,,     To tell you the truth   the road from Pt Sublime to Moustiers is pretty  blaha  and the fire that was there several years ago did not help.   For my taste  the   ledge roads and side roads off the 62  as well as the Drive from Nice are far more interesting......   Did  Du Loupe  coming from  St Martin Vesubie...   That whole region  is filled with great sights and away from the tourist choked coast....

069.JPG

078.JPG

Edited by Hawaiidan