Decision Time - Carnival Conquest or Sunrise

cruising mickey

Sunrise was originally the Destiny, born in 1999 and was the first ship over 100,000 tons at 101.  It was refurbished in 2019.  The Conquest was refurbished in 2017 and is about 9% larger at 110,000 tons.   Don't know about any specific venues that may be on one of the ships and not on the other.  Because of the 2019 versus 2017 refurbishment,  I would choose the Sunrise.  Plus because of your honeymoon if you drop an email to John Heald, Carnival's  Brand Ambassador, he'll hook you up.

1 hour ago, cruising mickey said:

Hey all,

Fiance and I have narrowed it down to  4 day cruise to Key West and Cozumel on either the Conquest (over Valentine's Day) or Sunrise (over April Fool's Day) for our wedding/honeymoon.....Which ship do y'all have a preference for?

Thanks in advance.

Take note that carnival cancelled key west on dec cruises so I would say maybe maybe not.

Conquest is newer and a tad bigger but sunrise is a redone ship with more food options.  Both will have movies under the stars. 

• Like 1

I've been on both between 2018-2019 and hands-down I'd pick the Sunrise unless the Conquest has the better itinerary and/or better pricing. The difference in ship size is not noticeable - the Sunrise has a more contemporary design, while the Conquest is...well, hideous (in my opinion, anyway). That said, it's still a cruise ship and I'd go on it again if the price was right. By the way, while the Sunrise was formerly the Triumph, I saw very little on the ship that didn't look brand-new. They did an excellent job of gutting and replacing.

Some may observe that they added additional cabins to the Sunrise during its retrofit (and therefore it could be more crowded), but I was on one of the first sold-out sailings and it didn't seem any more or less crowded than other Carnival sailings, and we always found a quiet place when we wanted privacy. 

Happy Honeymoon 🙂

• Like 1

We were just on the Sunrise and really enjoyed it with the lower capacity. Food was the best it has been on several cruises.   However, we wouldn't want to be on Sunrise at capacity. Our experience on the Sunshine, which also added staterooms when it was updated, is that many areas would be very crowded.  It has been a few years since we've been on the the Conquest, but we really enjoyed it.  The Conquest and Freedom are two of our favorites, so if they are moving more to capacity then, we would choose the Conquest.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

Ugh the Sunrise and Conquest my 2 canceled cruises.

When I researched the Sunrise sounded like a better option with all the added amenities from its last dry dock. The one complaint I heard about the Sunrise was that because of the additions the ship felt crowded and waiting in lines was common. 

If capacity is still down when you cruise then Sunrise is a good choice. Also, I too have heard about several lines taking Key West off their itineraries lately so look into that.

Sunrise is a significantly nicer, upgraded ship.  Oh, and just to correct SNJCruisers above, she's the retrofitted Triumph, not the Destiny.  Destiny is now the SunSHINE, sailing out of Charleston.  While both were part of the original Destiny Class, the retrofits of the two ships are meaningfully different.  Each has an advantage/disadvantage or two over the other, depending on one's preferences.

Bottom line.  Carnival did a very nice job rebuilding these 90s vintage ships.  We're looking forward to Radiance, the third in the line.  Sunrise would be an easy choice for me, other things equal, in your comparison.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1