Royal Suite perks when booking Resident Rate or Simply Sail rate

sarasotascott

I need some help with what perks are included with a Royal Suite when not booking an Always Included rate.  We last cruised in a Royal Suite in 2018 and the cabin included perks were:

Internet for up to 5 devices at the fastest speed

Unlimited specialty dining

Laundry

Premium Drinks Package

2 bottle bar setup

The current Celebrity website now shows the following:

Exclusive services and amenities

Complimentary bottled water, soda, and beer stocked daily

• Unlimited lunch and dinner in all specialty restaurants
  • Two complimentary bottles of premium spirits
  • VIP canapés
  • Complimentary laundry service (twice per cruise)
  • Priority luggage delivery

Can anyone confirm if the Internet Package and Premium Drinks Package perks are now only part of the Always Included option and not part of the cabin perks? 

Thanks,

Scott

Correct. You still get the items that come included with the upper end suites, but not the Always Included items (WiFi, OBC, Grats, Prem drinks). You would still have access to drinks in the Retreat Lounge and the other items you listed. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1

I do not believe that these rates include the Retreat package which would include streaming internet, premium drinks, gratuities, and $600 obc. Personally, I would not book at these rates, considering the perks lost vs the price reduction.

The OP's question is specifically about RS and above which have historically had the stateroom amenities including Premium Bev Package,  Stream Wifi (1 device per person), laundry, bar setup, specialty restaurants and the like (not booking perks but come with the room like Luminae & Retreat Lounge) but not Tips and OBC.    Prior to covid we would always get these things when booking a perks not included rate.  I'm not sure given what you have quoted from the web site here.  I suspect there hasn't been a change and they just don't list it there as it only points out that you pay for it twice when booking a RS under AI pricing.   Oh and 3 times when you are Zenith.

I think the best way to get an answer is to call the Retreat number and speak with a shoreside concierge and ask what the Royal Suite room amenities are and see if they will send them in writing.

1 877 RETREAT (738-7328)

There is a difference between perks and amenities.  We've had this discussion before, but nobody seems to listen.

The amenities are attached to the suite, no matter at what rate you book it.  The perks are rate dependent.  For a royal suite booked at the resident rate (I have done this before), you will get the wi-fi, the drinks, etc. that come with the suite.  Gratuities are not part of the amenity package.  Travel agents don't even understand this distinction.  The TA I booked that RS with tried to get me to book it with the perks included.  I pointed out that I didn't need them because of the amenities included with the suite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is a difference between perks and amenities.  We've had this discussion before, but nobody seems to listen.

The amenities are attached to the suite, no matter at what rate you book it.  The perks are rate dependent.  For a royal suite booked at the resident rate (I have done this before), you will get the wi-fi, the drinks, etc. that come with the suite.  Gratuities are not part of the amenity package.  Travel agents don't even understand this distinction.  The TA I booked that RS with tried to get me to book it with the perks included.  I pointed out that I didn't need them because of the amenities included with the suite.

While what you state is clearly correct pre-AI, I am not so sure that is true now, given how Celebrity is marketing AI and the specific amenities of RS suite and above.

The impression I get from Celebrity's description of AI and RS/above amenities is that pre-paid gratuities, Internet package, and Premium drink package are part of AI, and not part of RS/above amenities, which include only laundry, unlimited specialty dining, minibar setup, two complimentary bottles of premium spirits, VIP canapes.

If someone can confirm one way or the other, that would probably be the first time I've seen it post-AI.

and is there such a thing as a Simply Sail rate for RS and above?

Edited by CalTexCruiser

I called Celebrity reservations to get some clarity and was told that the Resident Rate for an RS Suite no longer comes with internet or the Premium Drink Package.  They told me you need to go with the Always Included to get those two perks now.  I already know from past sailing in an RS that it did not include the PPG or OBC that is now part of the new program.

If anyone finds  out something different please post!

2 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

While what you state is clearly correct pre-AI, I am not so sure that is true now, given how Celebrity is marketing AI and the specific amenities of RS suite and above.

The impression I get from Celebrity's description of AI and RS/above amenities is that pre-paid gratuities, Internet package, and Premium drink package are part of AI, and not part of RS/above amenities, which include only laundry, unlimited specialty dining, minibar setup, two complimentary bottles of premium spirits, VIP canapes.

If someone can confirm one way or the other, that would probably be the first time I've seen it post-AI.

The current loyalty/resident rate does not include the AI perks and is akin to Simply sail  with standard RS amenities. Get your TA to plug in reservations using Cruising Power; the lower rate excludes obc and all the AI perks. If a higher rate is used, all aforementioned amenities are clearly included. One clue is whether the $600 obc is included -it is part of the AI perks.

18 minutes ago, sarasotascott said:

I called Celebrity reservations to get some clarity and was told that the Resident Rate for an RS Suite no longer comes with internet or the Premium Drink Package.  They told me you need to go with the Always Included to get those two perks now.  I already know from past sailing in an RS that it did not include the PPG or OBC that is now part of the new program.

That seems to be supported by the chart that @Jeremiah1212 posted which is a definite (silent) change from pre covid.

22 minutes ago, sarasotascott said:

By the way, how much is the savings of a resident rate on an RS over what is offered with AI?

And what state do you need to be a resident of?

The row below from Jeremiah1212's chart is also confusing.  "Excludes a la carte items" would suggest that Sushi on 5 and Raw on 5 are excluded from the Unlimited Complimentary Specialty Dining for RS.

In the past and from reports I've seen on current sailings, Sushi on 5 and Raw on 5 are included as Unlimited Specialty Dining for RS and above--has this changed?

image.thumb.png.f0b83ddc8e222222b06ffedbb9593cc9.png

13 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

By the way, how much is the savings of a resident rate on an RS over what is offered with AI?

Depends on the.cruise date. Taking the Edge 12/12 the price difference for an S2 is $2226 vs $2719 pp

23 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

The row below from Jeremiah1212's chart is also confusing.  "Excludes a la carte items" would suggest that Sushi on 5 and Raw on 5 are excluded from the Unlimited Complimentary Specialty Dining for RS.

In the past and from reports I've seen on current sailings, Sushi on 5 and Raw on 5 are included as Unlimited Specialty Dining for RS and above--has this changed?

image.thumb.png.f0b83ddc8e222222b06ffedbb9593cc9.png

We were in a penthouse suite which has same perks and we were able to order from raw on 5 for no additional charge. This was July on edge. 

33 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I live in Florida…I don’t know which states have this rate.  The price difference is $478 pp.  Prior to COVID I would book an opaque rate and all the perks were included for the RS.  Now it does not make sense to pass on the AI rate for a 7 day cruise mostly due to the $600 OBC.

3 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Simply Sail on a suite would be a Suite Guarantee. "Perks" don't exist anymore. Drinks/WiFI/Tips are tied to the fare category and the extra suite amenities apply to upper end suites. 

Here is the full grid after August 2020. 

AMENITIES GRID 8.12.2020.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Simply Sail on a suite would be a Suite Guarantee. "Perks" don't exist anymore. Drinks/WiFI/Tips are tied to the fare category and the extra suite amenities apply to upper end suites. 

Here is the full grid after August 2020. 

AMENITIES GRID 8.12.2020.xlsx 122.01 kB · 15 downloads

I was just noticing something in your spreadsheet I hadn't paid attention to in ages ... "Extend your stay".  Is this service still being offered?  I recall they used to charge $60/pp or something along those lines to allow staying until 90 minutes before the next departure.  Given our 4:05pm flight out of Tampa, it certainly would be nice.  The 11/22 departure isn't until 4pm and we're in a RS.

Edited by canderson

9 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Unfortunately, the "amenities" of a Royal Suite now only include:  unlimited laundry, complimentary specialty dining, minibar set-up, 2 bottles of liquor, the "premium champagne" as opposed to sparking wine.  "Amenities" of a Royal Suite used to also include premium beverage package, internet and prepaid grats but in order to get those items now you NEED to book an All Inclusive Rate.  

I'm not sure the exact date when this change went into effect.  I agree with you that what you describe above is the way it used to be.  Pre the "shutdown" I booked a RS or PS plenty of times with a senior rate or a resident rate and definitely did get all the "amenities" you list above.......but that's not the case anymore. 

I just priced out a RS at the Resident Rate and it most definitely DID NOT INCLUDE beverage package, grats, prepaid grats, etc. etc.  So.....the Resident Rate may not give you the "best bang for your buck" anymore.

Celebrity is using amenities and perks almost interchangeably. Note they say "As a guest of The Retreat, you’ll also enjoy a long list of thoughtfully curated amenities, starting with five perks that are now Always Included—a shore excursion credit, premium drinks, streaming Wi-Fi, tips, and an onboard credit to spend any way you like.*" (https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/celebrity-suites-offer)

And to add to the fun, they call it "All-Inclusive" in the browser tab:

image.png.a075dd0cd14e108a1906724b5a0adbf4.png

But the Terms suggest you don't always get these amenities with the Retreat/suites:

"The Retreat Amenities: All guests who book The Retreat® on or after November 17, 2020 will receive the IndulgePackage at no additional charge. The Indulge Package provides a Premium Beverage Package, prepaid tips, and an onboard credit (“OBC”), plus an Unlimited Stream Internet Package for all guests in the stateroom. ... Offer is not combinable with Exciting Deals, Interline, Loyalty, Net, Travel Partner or Employee Rates."

And the Resident Rate is part of the Captain's Club loyalty program:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/exclusive-offers/offer-details

where they say "Offer applies to standard pricing in USD and CAD only and is not combinable with interline, loyalty, net, travel agent, and employee rates, or Always Included and Simply Sail."

So if you book with the Resident Rate, it does not come with Always Included and you don't get the perks. You just have to look in many different places to find this out.