Booked the Getaway - need advice on specialty dining

CaribbeanJen

Hi

we are seasoned cruisers but this is our first time on the Getaway or on this particular class of ship.  I'm excited by the waterfront (I hope I have the correct name) 

We are 72 days out from cruising and all the specialty restaurants says "Not available to book" so I'm assuming we have to wait until we get onboard.  Correct?  

For those who have cruised this ship- how difficult will it be to get reservations or to get seated in the outdoor area? 

Advice?  

Any other gems we should know before we board?  We are in a balcony room on deck 11.  

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE 

Reservations seem to be an issue on many ships at the moment. If they aren’t available to book then it would usually mean that the online reservations have all gone, but at this time it probably means they were never available.

Regardless, only a proportion are available for pre booking, so do it when you board and you will be fine. Just do it soon after booking (download the app or use the touchscreens rather than queueing).

You can’t book outside seating. It is requested at the time (and depends whether there are tables there at the time). You may or may not get seated outside, but it isn’t affected by booking online or not).

• Like 1

if  you find that you are unable to book prior to sailing, once you actually get on board the ship, there are places you can book. usually right outside the buffet area by the pool, and down by guest services. 

other than teppanyaki, which has limited serving hours and limited seatings, i have never had a problem getting a reservation at any of the other specialty restaurants.  of course, for personal reasons, i bypass le bistro, and i've never been overwhelmed by la cucina.  we are definitely fans of cagneys, moderno, and the sushi bar.

by the way, getaway is our favorite ncl ship, and you got it right. it's the waterfront!

bon voyage and have a great cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaribbeanJen said:

we are seasoned cruisers but this is our first time on the Getaway or on this particular class of ship.  I'm excited by the waterfront (I hope I have the correct name). We are 72 days out from cruising and all the specialty restaurants says "Not available to book" so I'm assuming we have to wait until we get onboard.  Correct?  For those who have cruised this ship- how difficult will it be to get reservations or to get seated in the outdoor area? 

At 120 days prior to departure (which you are within), Specialty Dining and Entertainment reservations open online. Normally, you book your entertainment first (Million Dollar Quartet and TBD second show). Then booking dining around your entertainment. If online is not working, you can try calling the general reservations number. 

You repeat the exercise on Embarkation Day, immediately head down and make your entertainment reservations. While you can use the touch screen kiosks in elevator lobbies, it is easier to do it all at once. You book your two Broadway shows plus comedy shows (early shows are family oriented, late shows are 18+). THEN, head over and fix your dining around the entertainment you just booked. 

You make a reservation for a restaurant. When you arrive, you can request an outside seat. The availability of outdoors seating is dependent on the weather. Wind, rain, and temperature will determine if al fresco dining is in your future. For example, in August, we were seated outside at Ocean Blue having dinner. It was a late port departure, so when we started dinner, we were still in port. As the ship got underway, the ship's direction and wind speed caused very strong gusts on our side of the ship. Everyone outside eventually asked to be moved inside after dealing with billowing tablecloths and items on the table being blown over.  

• Like 1

As keith said above, we did 2 cruises in the last few weeks, Jade and just got off Getaway. We were unable to book ANY meals pre-cruise but had no trouble booking the ones we wanted once on board. 

Also, as BirdTravels mentioned, if the cruise is Europe, you won't want to be sat outside in December. 

Edited by deek72
  • Like 1

After attempting to book restaurants online, I finally called NCL to be told that Getaway cruises to mid-January were unavailable for pre-booking.   I'll plan to book first day onboard.  I am hoping that means our January cruise is sailing at less than 100% capacity🤞

(Had no problem booking at 120 days out for our December Breakaway out of NOLA.)

Just got off the Getaway last week. We ate at Ocean Blu, Cagney and Le Bristo. We booked about 100 days out but with the ship about 60%full should not be a problem if you can’t do it ahead. We also changed our time one night with no problem and went 1 hour early on another. Decreased capacity has its blessings

• Like 1