Flight on disembarkation day (Civitavecchia) - recommendations pls!

JillK

Hi everyone. We are going to be booking a cruise next summer out of Civitavecchia and I was hoping a fellow Canadian could offer some insight regarding return flights.

The only direct flight from Rome to Toronto departs at 11:30 am and is only offered once a day.

I'm concerned about having enough time to disembark the ship, clear customs, pick up luggage, find transportation (which I plan on pre-arranging) and travel time from Civi to the airport to make the direct flight. Our only experience flying from Europe post cruise was in Amsterdam where we barely made our flight (others on our ship sponsored transfer missed theirs) and in that case, the port and airport were in the same city!  

Not knowing what we can anticipate for COVID protocols that may still be in place next August, in addition to regular security at the airport for international travel, I'm a little concerned that we will be at risk of missing the flight.

I know no one can give me a definite answer but I was hoping that based on previous experience some recommendations could be made as to whether or not we should stay an extra night in Rome to make the 11:30 flight the day following disembarkation or if we should be able to make the flight on disembarkation day. 

A final consideration that at this time (and of course this could change) is that we need PCR tests to re-enter Canada that would be provided by Celebrity on board which I believe has to be within 3 days of re-entry. 

Thanks in advance for any insight! 

A few years ago we did a transatlantic  and B2B Greek Isles cruise which finished up in Civitavecchia.   We figured since we were over there,  we'd spend three or four days in Rome before flying home.  Personally, I would not feel good about a flight that left at 11:30 after debarking.  

I just looked back on my notes  from our last trip, and I had booked a transfer from the port (Civi) to the center of Rome for 9:30. a.m.  We used Bob's Limo since it was highly recommended  by a few people who had previously used it.  The cost was a total of 75 Euros since the port is about an hour (45 miles) from Rome.   You can "google" to see the reviews.  

After a few days  sightseeing in Rome, we headed back to the airport area where I'd booked a hotel for the night before our flight home. (4 kms from the airport).   I believe we also left around 11:30 a.m or so because we wanted a non stop flight.   We stayed at Hotel Isola Sacra Rome Airport where they had a beautiful pool and shuttle service to the airport (it was 6 euros per person).  There isn't a lot around the hotel but it had a nice restaurant / bar and the grounds were beautiful.  It was nice to relax after three hectic days of sightseeing.  

We are (hopefully) heading back to Rome in Oct.'22  to board Odyssey so I am busy researching right now too.   Hopefully a lot of the necessary testing will not be required by then but thankfully Celebrity and Royal will do your PCR test onboard at no charge, if it's still required.

I would spoil my cruise  by worrying about whether we were going to make that 11:30 flight  after debarking so I'd be tempted to stay one night near the airport after the cruise.   Also, the computer at the airport were not functioning properly so it took us over 3 hours to get through security and whatnot..some people would definitely miss their flights.  

Edited by hancogran
  • Like 2

There's a current thread on the Celebrity board discussing means of transportation from the ship to the airport. Based on those discussions alone, I would stay the extra day. 

Even for flights home from FLL, 11:30 is the earliest flight I would book, and it's such a short ride from Port Everglades. I know that others will take much earlier flights, but I like to get off a nice relaxing cruise and not have to worry about missing my flight. If you book that same day flight home, you are going to spend your entire cruise worrying. Especially after your close call in Amsterdam.

As for the PCR test, it has to be taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. So if you are tested Friday morning, let's say at 8:00 AM, disembark on Saturday morning and your flight is scheduled for Sunday morning at 11:30, you are are well within the 72 hours. (only 51.5 hours, test to flight)

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, macmax said:

Air Transat also has non-stop flts FCO-YYZ departing at 13:40 at lower fares than AC.

That time is more doable but still somewhat risky.

I'm with you.  Club class on Air Transat is very comfortable and, in my opinion, reasonably priced.  I think the 1340 flight out of FCO is very doable; if you can't plan on making your way from Civi to the airport by 1100 you're just not trying or things have gone very wrong.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm with you.  Club class on Air Transat is very comfortable and, in my opinion, reasonably priced.  I think the 1340 flight out of FCO is very doable; if you can't plan on making your way from Civi to the airport by 1100 you're just not trying or things have gone very wrong.

1 hour ago, macmax said:

Air Transat also has non-stop flts FCO-YYZ departing at 13:40 at lower fares than AC.

That time is more doable but still somewhat risky.

Thanks for the recommendation - in our case, we are going to be booking with Aeroplan points so can only consider Air Canada flights. 

Will keep Air Transat in mind for future though! 

• Like 1

Thanks hancogran and Fouremco for your insights - that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. We are currently planning on arriving several days early to tour Rome ahead of the cruise so perhaps we'll borrow a day from the start of our trip to add a day in Rome upon disembarkation.

I definitely do not want to spend any cruise time stressing out about making our flight home. 

Very much appreciate your feedback! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1