Experiences with freestyle coke machines on Konigsdam and drink packages cup

steve4031

I was initially interested in this package until I read that i would be given a cup that is to be used for the duration of the cruise.  I am not sure this is the most sanitary way of doing things.   How have you handled this in the past?  

Thank you

Based on what I read on HALs website all drinks packages require the use of the free style coke machine.  I was hoping that cans of pop could be acquired by up one of drinks on the 15 drink limit.  Those freestyle machines in restaurants and at movie theaters are routinely flat.  

52 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Based on what I read on HALs website all drinks packages require the use of the free style coke machine.  I was hoping that cans of pop could be acquired by up one of drinks on the 15 drink limit.  Those freestyle machines in restaurants and at movie theaters are routinely flat.  

Pretty sure the only ships with the Free Style machines are the Koningsdam, the Nieuw Statendam, and the new Rotterdam. 

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

Where did you read that?  I looked up the beverage packages for our cruise (Nieuw Statendam, December 19) and this is what it said under the Signature Beverage Package:  

""Excludes Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer."

It doesn't really matter much to me, since I rarely drink soda, but some others in our party drink a lot of soda.  We all booked with the Have It All promotion.

4 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I believe you can get either. The signature beverage package specifically excludes the freestyle machine, you must get either a quench package or the elite package in order to use the freestyle machine. 

10 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I read that i would be given a cup that is to be used for the duration of the cruise

I was wondering how this worked - I do not really like the idea of a cup for soda that you have to reuse for a week or longer and clean yourself. I will be onboard in a month and will definitely report back if someone else doesn't get to it first! 

7 hours ago, zgscl said:

I was wondering how this worked - I do not really like the idea of a cup for soda that you have to reuse for a week or longer and clean yourself. I will be onboard in a month and will definitely report back if someone else doesn't get to it first! 

I for one would be very interested in your experience next month, such as rough size of the cup, location/count of machines, and how the process of ordering your drink works.  I have used the machines in dining establishments before, where you manually go thru the menu to make your choice.  On the ships is there going to be some one who does this for you, as I can't imagine they will let everybody just touch the screen. 

We are on Koningsdam right now. We have the elite package and have not used the freestyle machines. We just ask for a Diet Coke from the drink waiter or directly at the bar. Never any problem. 

I would hate to have to carry a cup around with me. I just find it too inconvenient. 

• Like 1

When I did the coke package with the freestyle machine on the Koningsdam (pre COVID) it was a 32 ounce cup (I think) with an rfid chip to activate the machine.

Once every day or two, I would ask a bartender to clean it for me….

In two days I will be on the Rotterdam and plan to get the elite package which is supposed to include the freestyle machine, so will find out the post COVID process.

And yes, the cup stays in the room when heading out for dinner, and just get glasses at and after dinner,

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fusion927 said:

When I did the coke package with the freestyle machine on the Koningsdam (pre COVID) it was a 32 ounce cup (I think) with an rfid chip to activate the machine.

In two days I will be on the Rotterdam and plan to get the elite package which is supposed to include the freestyle machine, so will find out the post COVID process.

And yes, the cup stays in the room when heading out for dinner, and just get glasses at and after dinner,

Excellent, this is the clearest explanation I have see yet on how it works.  Thank you very much.  Will look forward to what you find on the Rotterdam.

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

We are on Koningsdam right now. We have the elite package and have not used the freestyle machines. We just ask for a Diet Coke from the drink waiter or directly at the bar. Never any problem. 

I would hate to have to carry a cup around with me. I just find it too inconvenient. 

Been enjoying your live report, love all the photos and info. Regarding  the elite package...we've head several conversations and responses on the beverage limit -  15 alcoholic and unlimited non-alcoholic?. have you had any issues, extra charges, etc.

44 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

Been enjoying your live report, love all the photos and info. Regarding  the elite package...we've head several conversations and responses on the beverage limit -  15 alcoholic and unlimited non-alcoholic?. have you had any issues, extra charges, etc.

Thanks!

We haven’t had any issues at all, but this is only day 2 and there’s no way we could get to a 15 drink limit on boarding day. Today is our 1st sea day and between specialty coffee, bottled water, and Diet Coke, I’ve only reached 5 drinks (even though, so far, they’ve all been non-alcoholic) by nearly 4:00 pm.

I will certainly comment if we have any problems, and I will try to find out about alcoholic vs non-alcoholic as it pertains to the daily limit. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aring75 said:

We haven’t had any issues at all, but this is only day 2 and there’s no way we could get to a 15 drink limit on boarding day. Today is our 1st sea day and between specialty coffee, bottled water, and Diet Coke, I’ve only reached 5 drinks (even though, so far, they’ve all been non-alcoholic) by nearly 4:00 pm.

I would have to try really hard to get to 15. We had the beverage package on our first cruise after I turned 21 and it was great because I could sample a whole bunch of drinks and find out what I liked. Even then when there were several I had a sip of and then got rid of I don't think I got close. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fusion927 said:

Thank you for this! I was wondering how they made it work. Good to know the bartenders will clean for you also. 

I purchased the have it your way package and asked about using the 15 drink count for cans of coke. The HAL agent explained that it depends where you are on the ship. Some locations only serve soda from fountain machines and others serve cans. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:51 PM, zgscl said:

I believe you can get either. The signature beverage package specifically excludes the freestyle machine, you must get either a quench package or the elite package in order to use the freestyle machine. 

From HAL's FAQ about drink packages:

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package 

The FAQ also notes that the Elite drink package includes the quench package. So, it seems anyone with the quench, signature, or elite packages would be able to access the machines.

Rotterdam update: there is one newer style freestyle machine, but is turned off (I don't expect it to be on anytime soon, the self-serve beer taps are off too).  You can get the freestyle cup.  It looks to be about 16 oz double wall plastic cup.

We upgraded to the elite beverage package.  Whenever I want a soda, they give me the can and a glass of ice.  No fountain guns (yet)

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, figmentdj said:

Wife and I are on Koningsdam now, both with the EBP, and we were charged for a glass of wine and an after dinner double Bailey's while dining in Pinnacle.  Of course, Asst Guest Services Manager Christopher removed the charges when I suggested to him that the "reason" we exceeded the 15 alcoholic beverages on my card was because Pinnacle charged all 6 glasses of wine and 2 double Bailey's that we drank to my card only, and none to my wife's.  He agreed and admitted this is a lessons learned moment that he will address with his counterparts.  That dinner alone would have used up 10 of my available 15, and it was a sea day, so I'm sure I had 5 other drinks throughout the rest of the day to put me over.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fusion927 said:

Rotterdam update: there is one newer style freestyle machine, but is turned off (I don't expect it to be on anytime soon, the self-serve beer taps are off too).  You can get the freestyle cup.  It looks to be about 16 oz double wall plastic cup.

We upgraded to the elite beverage package.  Whenever I want a soda, they give me the can and a glass of ice.  No fountain guns (yet)

Interesting - I don't know if my friend would want to upgrade to elite but I'm considering the unlimited Coca Cola package. I wonder if I would just get cans of soda even though it's for unlimited fountain soda (which is my preference anyway).