Passport Card ?

helene109

19 hours ago, billslowsky said:

The card is a useful stopgap when you live in a state that didn't get around to instituting RealID on a timely basis, like PA, for other travel.  

18 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I live in PA and do finally have a Real ID drivers license, though it took them long enough to roll it out.  I also have a Global Entry card which is also a Real ID and at least gets me Precheck when I fly.  

Be careful about relying on Real ID.  Real ID licenses are only good for boarding domestic flights in the U.S. and entry to certain Federal properties.  An Enhanced driver license is what is needed for entering the U.S. by land or sea.  You can tell which type of license you have by seeing if you have a star or a U.S. flag displayed on your license.  AFAIK, only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are currently issuing Enhanced licenses.  The Global Entry card will accomplish the same thing as an Enhanced license (except permitting you to drive...)  Combined with a full Passport Book, the Global Entry card should speed you through U.S. customs at an airport.

If for some reason you are put off or miss your ship (Including if you are being put off for Covid care) you will need a full passport book to re-enter the U.S. by air.  I suggest anybody who has a passport card and plans to use that also travel with the full passport book as well.  You can keep it locked in your safe or carryon bag, but you'll be glad you have it if you need to return to the U.S. by air.

I have a good friend who was going to be denied boarding an Oceania Bermuda cruise if her passport book did not arrive in time, even though she had a NY Enhanced Driver License and a Global Entry card.  So, even if NCL will take just the Passport or other types of proof of citizenship for closed loop cruises that doesn't necessarily hold for all cruise lines.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You can tell which type of license you have by seeing if you have a star or a U.S. flag displayed on your license.  AFAIK, only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are currently issuing Enhanced licenses. 

I forgot to add that the Real ID licenses have the star displayed and the Enhanced license has the U.S. flag.🙄  That is the quickest way of determining what type of license you posses.  

45 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Be careful about relying on Real ID.  Real ID licenses are only good for boarding domestic flights in the U.S. and entry to certain Federal properties.  An Enhanced driver license is what is needed for entering the U.S. by land or sea.  You can tell which type of license you have by seeing if you have a star or a U.S. flag displayed on your license.  AFAIK, only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are currently issuing Enhanced licenses.  The Global Entry card will accomplish the same thing as an Enhanced license (except permitting you to drive...)  Combined with a full Passport Book, the Global Entry card should speed you through U.S. customs at an airport.

I get it.  If I'm going outside the country I have a passport (book.)  That was my original point; a passport card, for what it offers, seems like a waste of money to me.  At least my Global Entry card gets me precheck.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I get it.  If I'm going outside the country I have a passport (book.)  That was my original point; a passport card, for what it offers, seems like a waste of money to me.  At least my Global Entry card gets me precheck.

I agree, the passport card is just a duplication of the others.  I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy, so I always go with my NY Enhanced DL, Passport Book and Global Entry card.  Hopefully, one of them will work for me...😉 

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

The Global Entry card will accomplish the same thing as an Enhanced license (except permitting you to drive...)  Combined with a full Passport Book, the Global Entry card should speed you through U.S. customs at an airport.

I should probably know this but, being a belt and suspenders guy myself, I always have my passport book with me when traveling outside the US so it's never arisen.  DOES the Global Entry card, in and of itself, allow you to travel internationally?  I thought GE was a Real ID, so I could get through ID check for a domestic flight, but I needed more when going abroad, even if to Canada or Mexico.  I know GE gets you through passport control more quickly but thought you still needed some form of passport.

19 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I should probably know this but, being a belt and suspenders guy myself, I always have my passport book with me when traveling outside the US so it's never arisen.  DOES the Global Entry card, in and of itself, allow you to travel internationally?  I thought GE was a Real ID, so I could get through ID check for a domestic flight, but I needed more when going abroad, even if to Canada or Mexico.  I know GE gets you through passport control more quickly but thought you still needed some form of passport.

No, the Global Entry card doesn't in and of itself allow you to travel internationally. You still need your passport for international travel.

Global Entry works as ID in lieu of a REAL ID license for domestic flights or gaining entry to certain federal facilities, it gets you TSA Precheck privileges and gets more quickly you through customs and immigration checkpoints upon arrival in the US .

16 hours ago, phillygwm said:

The Global Entry card will permit you to cross into the U.S. by land or sea not by air, but is not necessarily sufficient for entry into other countries.  In that respect, an enhanced driver license is different in that you can use an enhanced DL to enter Mexico or Canada.  When you fly into the U.S. and go to a Global Entry Kiosk, you need to scan your passport, the GE card is not used.  After scanning your passport, you are subjected to facial recognition and fingerprint check comparison against what you submitted when joining the Global Entry program.  So, yes, you still need a passport at a Global Entry kiosk at an airport but not at a sea or land entry point to the U.S.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The Global Entry card will permit you to cross into the U.S. by land or sea not by air, but is not necessarily sufficient for entry into other countries.  In that respect, an enhanced driver license is different in that you can use an enhanced DL to enter Mexico or Canada.  When you fly into the U.S. and go to a Global Entry Kiosk, you need to scan your passport, the GE card is not used.  After scanning your passport, you are subjected to facial recognition and fingerprint check comparison against what you submitted when joining the Global Entry program.  So, yes, you still need a passport at a Global Entry kiosk at an airport but not at a sea or land entry point to the U.S.

Just want to clarify your statement...I will be coming back from Italy next month thru JFK.  I can't find my GE card (I put it in a 'safe' place but that was almost 2 years ago) but I can still use the GE kiosk with just my passport?  That would be great.

7 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Just want to clarify your statement...I will be coming back from Italy next month thru JFK.  I can't find my GE card (I put it in a 'safe' place but that was almost 2 years ago) but I can still use the GE kiosk with just my passport?  That would be great.

According to Customs And Border Protection, you only need your passport at the kiosk.  Per their website:  "Verify your identification

1. Members must use a passport or U.S. legal permanent resident card at Global Entry kiosks.

2. The Global Entry kiosk will show you the correct way to slide your machine-readable passport into the passport reader.

3. After your data displays, remove passport and look up at the camera.

4. The kiosk will then prompt you to press four fingers on your right or left hand on the fingerprint scanner to verify your Global Entry membership against the biometrics stored in the database"

See more here:  globalentry-info-guide.pdf (cbp.gov)

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

According to Customs And Border Protection, you only need your passport at the kiosk.  Per their website:  "Verify your identification

1. Members must use a passport or U.S. legal permanent resident card at Global Entry kiosks.

2. The Global Entry kiosk will show you the correct way to slide your machine-readable passport into the passport reader.

3. After your data displays, remove passport and look up at the camera.

4. The kiosk will then prompt you to press four fingers on your right or left hand on the fingerprint scanner to verify your Global Entry membership against the biometrics stored in the database"

See more here:  globalentry-info-guide.pdf (cbp.gov)

Thanks so much. Thats what I remember doing now but thought I used the card. I appreciate your help.

• Like 1