Insurance: Viking vs USAA

MissMimi1912

We recently booked the In Search of the Northern Lights cruise for next March and purchased the Viking insurance  My husband has since found USAA insurance that offers a 75% any reason refund up to 48 hours before leaving. I have tried to read the legal language and compare the two but wondered if anyone else could give me their opinion on the merits of the two policies. Price is virtually the same. Our main concerns are Covid restrictions and pre-existing health conditions that might flare up. We only have two more days to cancel the Viking insurance. TIA

The devil is in the details...those specific coverages and exclusions that are spelled out in "the fine print".  And since policies vary, even within a specific company, it would be impossible to give you authoritative advice and opinions without examining the actual policies.

The simple answer....there is no simple answer.  You need to do a side by side comparison, and then evaluate against what are YOUR specific needs and requirements.  Since no one knows that but you, it falls on your shoulders.

Wish I could be more helpful, but realism is my stock in trade.

• Like 1

If you have to cancel your cruise due to covered reasons, Viking insurance will compensate you with a voucher for a future cruise.  It will not give you cash back.  Moreover, Viking insurance covers only the potion of your trip booked through Viking. If you make your own air arrangements or pre-pay for independent services, you will have to insure any non-refundable purchases with separate insurance.  

With any other insurance company, the refund is in cash.  Moreover, many insurance companies let you raise the coverage if you add new trip expenses after the initial purchase.  These  are the big differences between the two.  

Otherwise, as already said, it is a mare's nest.   There are websites out there that can help you compare. One that is mentioned frequently in this forum is insuremytrip.com

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you have to cancel your cruise due to covered reasons, Viking insurance will compensate you with a voucher for a future cruise.  It will not give you cash back.  Moreover, Viking insurance covers only the potion of your trip booked through Viking. If you make your own air arrangements or pre-pay for independent services, you will have to insure any non-refundable purchases with separate insurance.  

With any other insurance company, the refund is in cash.  Moreover, many insurance companies let you raise the coverage if you add new trip expenses after the initial purchase.  These  are the big differences between the two.  

Otherwise, as already said, it is a mare's nest.   There are websites out there that can help you compare. One that is mentioned frequently in this forum is insuremytrip.com

Peregrina - It could be a Canada/USA difference, but to the best of my knowledge we have the same policy document as the US.

My interpretation of the policy document, is that the Viking insurance does provide a cash payment, if you cancel for 1 or the 12 stated reasons. The CFAR waiver provides FCV, valid for only 12 months, if you cancel for any other reason.

I have attached policy document I received and reviewed in August and copied the relevant sections from the policy document.

How You are reimbursed under this Waiver:
• If You cancel Your Trip before the scheduled Trip departure for any
of the “Specified Reasons” listed below which first occur after Your
purchase of this Waiver and before Your scheduled Trip departure,
We will reimburse You in cash.
• If you cancel Your Trip before the scheduled Trip departure for any
other reason, We will reimburse You with a travel voucher that can
be used for future transportation, accommodations, and other travel
services arranged by Us. The limitations on that travel voucher are
explained below.

Viking Insurance.pdf

• Like 1

Andy,  you are right. I misspoke.

What I should have said is that the portion of your fare that is not refundable to you at the time of cancellation, called the "penalty" (see the cancellation grid in the Terms & Conditions; see link in footer of Viking website), will be given to you in the form of a voucher.  If the penalty is 25 percent at the time of cancellation, you will get 25% in vouchers and the rest in cash.  Viking covers 100% of the cost of the Trip but only what was contracted with Viking.

If you have insurance from another company, Viking will refund whatever percentage is due you at the time you cancel. Then you must put in a claim with the insurance company for the amount that Viking did not refund. The insurance company will reimburse you in cash up to the amount you are entitled to recover under the terms of the policy, which may or may not be 100% of the cost of the trip.

The cost of the insurance is not included in the calculations and is not refundable.

www.tripmate.com/wpGR425V

Insurance plans and premiums vary from state to state, as insurance is regulated on the state not the federal level. You cannot shop insurance from state to state as your plan and premium are based on the state in which you reside.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Insurance plans and premiums vary from state to state, as insurance is regulated on the state not the federal level. You cannot shop insurance from state to state as your plan and premium are based on the state in which you reside.

And because of the INTRA-state nature of insurance, even blanket statements about what Viking will pay are only valid if you have compared the coverages for all 50 states.  Which is why I don't make recommendations about insurance -- there is too much that can be variable, and which need specific attention.

Now, OTOH, there can be general terms about refunds that apply across all USA jurisdictions.  Why?  Because it is part of the sales conditions, and does not involve any kind of insurance coverage.  Difference without a distinction?  I don't think so.  Remember that the function of "insurance" is to protect against financial loss from covered events.

Personally I find dealing with an agent most effective. There are too many loopholes in Trip Insurance. My one claim experience with Tripmate was aggravating on thankfully a simple claim. In the end, I decided to fight for the medical reimbursement so they didn't win! I was surprised by how many roadblocks could be put in the way.

It took many months to resolve the claim successfully. The Cruise Critic Insurance page has some excellent advice and vendors' names. There are also comments regarding Tripmate. At this point,  I want to have an advocate guide me and represent me in the event of a claim.

• Like 2

Before you purchase insurance from another source, make sure you can have your Viking insurance refunded.  When I needed to cancel my cruise a year prior to sailing and after I had paid in full, I was refunded for everything except for the $100 per person cancellation fee AND the cost of the Viking purchased insurance. 

6 hours ago, JerseyMom said:

Before you purchase insurance from another source, make sure you can have your Viking insurance refunded.  When I needed to cancel my cruise a year prior to sailing and after I had paid in full, I was refunded for everything except for the $100 per person cancellation fee AND the cost of the Viking purchased insurance. 

With non-cruise line policies, I have been able to roll the policy over to a new booking after cancelling.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:56 PM, rbslos18 said:

With non-cruise line policies, I have been able to roll the policy over to a new booking after cancelling.

We have too.  We use InsureMyTrip and have done policies with a couple different providers.  We had 4 cruises cancelled during COVID and were able to roll them all over to the newly booked cruises with very little issues - just providing the proper request documentation.   And 3 of the 4 cruises were completely different cruise itineraries, which didn't seem to make any difference.  Good to know.

I cant imagine going on a cruise without insurance these days. I feel much safer when I know that in case of emergency I wont be in trouble. I suggest everyone getting a full cover insurance with some additional protection in case of who knows what

20 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I cant imagine going on a cruise without insurance these days. I feel much safer when I know that in case of emergency I wont be in trouble. I suggest everyone getting a full cover insurance with some additional protection in case of who knows what

I hope that you are talking about financial trouble.  Because that is what "insurance" is for - to protect against financial loss.

As for actual protection against the events themselves, that's where contingency planning and preparation comes in.