Cabin coat hangers

Booklady6635

2 minutes ago, Booklady6635 said:

Are the cabin coat hangers wooden , wire, plastic.? I have a few things that I don’t want to send to the laundry and wonder if I need to pack plastic hangers for drip dry?

All hangers are wooden and some with pants clips.  Hangers from laundry are wire.

FWIW pants hanger works great for keeping your curtains closed for those early sunrise moments that may interfere with your room darkness.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always put a plastic hanger in my luggage for drip dry hand laundry.  There is a pull out clothesline in the bathroom and you can just carefully hang undies, swim wear, etc but some things require a hanger to maintain their shape.  

• Like 2

I pack those lightweight foam cover strips to put on the wire coat hangers  to keep things from falling off- I always ask the steward for more wire hangers, since the wooden or quilted ones take up too much space.  I once ordered some online for a few dollars and ended up getting 1000 in the package - they became gifts for other traveling friends to slip into their own suitcases. 

Luxury for me is to have everything hanging up for easy access if we are taking a long cruise - 21 plus days, when I want or need variety, depending on climate changes..  DH gets the wooden hangers - he is more practical about his packing. I also pack one of those collapsible six layer skirt/pants hangers depending on the length of the cruise - I bring a lot more for longer trips.  Shorter cruises, none of this matters much. 

• Like 2

With regard to hanging laundry, I've found it helpful to have some small plastic travel clothes pins in order to make used of the "clothes line" that strings across the shower.  You can't use multiple hangers with that, as the hangers will all slump toward the middle as the line sags.  You can just lay stuff over the line, but it all dries faster if hung with clothes pins.

As @oaktreerbsaid, if something needs to hold shape, gotta have a hanger.  

• Like 2

We always ask our room steward for 35 wire hangers; I bend 4-6 of them to hang undies on as they dry, or tank tops as they dry.  I bring 20 or so really good wooden clothes pins and pin each hanger to the clothes line; easy peasy.  No need to bring any coat hangers or anything else like that, just clothes pins and the stewards will help with the rest, and I get then within the first hour or so before we unpack.  we too hang everything up.  Plus I bend several for use with tank tops or to keep slippery things on the hanger.

• Like 4

One of the best suggestion we got here was to bring "rare earth" magnets, with hooks which attach to the metal ceiling  - as sometimes the walls are not magnetic - not sure if all ceilings are magnetic on the newer ships, but this worked on all the older ones.  

That way we could "hang" things in front of the ventilation vents to dry out more quickly - like shoes. I also hang my toiletry kit from the bathroom ceiling with those magnets too as a counter space saver - they definitely grip unlike other typical magnets. Got mine online. They are super strong.  

DH uses them in the smaller button size to hang up the large maps he always finds that covers where we are in the world when the walls are metal - not always.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mor mor said:

I think the wooden hangers have those tiny hooks that only work in the closet.

Mine have always been wooden hangers that can be hung anywhere that there is a hook. I have hung coats on the hooks on the walls, using wooden hangers from the closets. 
I have also hung the hangers from the clothesline in the bathroom. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, RuthC said:

Mine have always been wooden hangers that can be hung anywhere that there is a hook. I have hung coats on the hooks on the walls, using wooden hangers from the closets. 
I have also hung the hangers from the clothesline in the bathroom. 

Thanks.  It has been much too long!