No more Grand Cayman for cruise ships

drvmywifecrzy

Cayman has not made any official announcement about if/when cruise tourism will resume.  They have not banned it, nor have they announced a restart date.

They are still working on figuring out a plan for dealing with the arrival of Covid cases in the community there, and how to safely resume land-based tourism in late November.  

To paraphrase, they don’t have a clue what they’re going to do.

Assume cruise tourism won’t resume until at least April, and at start up it will be vaccinated passengers only, with maybe cruise/bubble excursions for non-vacc’d passengers.  But that’s just my guess from following their plans pretty closely.

Will other islands follow suit?  I doubt it.  Most islands acknowledge that cruise dollars are important for their economy.  Islands may have more hoops to jump through, like Bermuda’s current entry requirements, but I think very few islands will sacrifice those cruise dollars entirely.

• Like 1

In addition to the Covid cruise pause Grand Cayman has shelved the project to build a cruise pier.

Prior to Covid both RCL and CCL (the parent companies) told them that they would only take the new larger ships to locations where they could dock (too unwieldy to tender from the new larger ships).

So with that decision Grand Cayman is another location that has decided that they do not have to absorb an ever increasing number of cruise passengers.  That small to medium ships are enough.