COVID testing prior

Lshriver

Has anyone had any trouble getting on MSC with your COVID test? I have been calling back and forth between MSC and my urgent care checking on the various tests since my kids have to get different tests than my husband and I. Is it 72 hours or 3 days? Is a free pharmacy okay? Is a rapid NAAT test ok or can none of the tests be rapid because customer service already told me that my husband and I cannot get a rapid antigen test, so…?? Help!!

Edit:  I am assuming this is for Caribbean cruise?
Covid testing for MSC is currently stated as….

Fully Vaccinated adults and fully vaccinated  children 12 and older-

Covid test to be performed 2 days before cruise. 
This can be NAAT, PCR ( these may take longer for result ) or Antigen.

Children under 12 have 3 days for NAAT or PCR Covid test.

Sometimes pharmacy will use Rapid term with these tests. Rapid NAAT or NAAT test are the same thing.

MSC phone reps are not the best with current information. I would trust their written policy which I have posted.

Free pharmacy is fine. When kids get their tests, make sure you can get results in time. Some labs do not process test kits on weekends. Testing is also available at airports. This has been discussed on another thread.

Edited by phissy

COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS:

• All guests 12 years & older must show proof of a negative COVID-19 result (RT-PCR, NAAT or antigen test) taken no more than 2 days before boarding
  • Children 2 - 11 years old must show proof of a negative COVID-19 result (RT-PCR or NAAT) taken no more than 3 days before boarding

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab or accredited at home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information
  • Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.

Just off the Divina.  We did the Walgreens' IDNOW test, which is NAAT and considered rapid.  For fully vaccinated that is fine.  Both my wife and I had the results back in 2 hrs.  If you are vaccinated, you can do the monitored at home test through emed.

For unvaccinated, it must be a pcr test, the one CVS does.  But they have an extra day to get the results.

You have three days, they do not look at the hours.  For example, we sailed on Sunday, any rapid test done from Friday morning on is fine.

Note to everyone:  Do your homework.  The lady that checked us in on the 17th said they denided boarding to 33 people the previous cruise.

1)Passport/ID

2)Boarding pass

3)Vaccinated Card

4)Test result

5) Did not ask for proof of insurance

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Note to everyone:  Do your homework.  The lady that checked us in on the 17th said they denided boarding to 33 people the previous cruise.

1)Passport/ID

2)Boarding pass

3)Vaccinated Card

4)Test result

5) Did not ask for proof of insurance

Please elaborate on #5

I know what the cruise information states but it’s frustrating when an actual rep gives me different info. She told me no rapid antigen at all so I was confused. And it does say NAAT for my kids too so I was just hoping a rapid version would be okay. I think I’ll just have to take a chance in the info I have.

4 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

US residents do not need insurance.

Thank you; when I was talking to an MSC rep last week about my 07 Nov sailing she told me that everyone needed additional Covid insurance as a new Bahamian requirement.  I corrected her (hoping that I was correct.)

5 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Thank you; when I was talking to an MSC rep last week about my 07 Nov sailing she told me that everyone needed additional Covid insurance as a new Bahamian requirement.  I corrected her (hoping that I was correct.)

As alway, it's recommended, but not required.

U.S., Puerto Rico & Canada residents:
A travel protection plan with coverage for COVID-19 is recommended for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

For awhile, MSC site did have requirement of Covid Insurance for those under 12, in the US.

Also, required that family purchase “Covid testing package” for kids at $150. 

This has been eliminated since Oct 1 update.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lshriver said:

I know what the cruise information states but it’s frustrating when an actual rep gives me different info. She told me no rapid antigen at all so I was confused. And it does say NAAT for my kids too so I was just hoping a rapid version would be okay. I think I’ll just have to take a chance in the info I have.

I advise (and this is what we’re doing) to not listen to what the reps on the phone tell you because chances are if you speak to 5 different reps they won’t all say the same thing. 
Go by what is on the MSC website, which phissy pasted above and check it every couple of days.
I check it daily and most days I check it 3-4 times because it changes frequently but one thing that has been pretty stable is the testing that is accepted for vaccinated guests and for children under 12. 

The last thing any of us wants to happen is to be turned away at the pier because we didn’t have the correct test  before boarding. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 3