We can't find any companies that sells Covid quarantine insurance for Canadian cruisers

gam888

18 hours ago, jlgreuel said:

Goose Insurance - provided a thorough quote for our Canadian group travelling to cruise out of FLL in January.  They have regular insurance and a COVID insurance.  The COVID insurance is not being offered through Goose to anyone over age 75.  I was happy to find an insurer  willing to offer COVID-19/Pandemic Multi-trip Medical Plan insurance.  Regular insurance offers $10 Million per trip.  COVID, only $500,000, but includes $50,000 of emergency transportation.

Here’s another vote for Goose Insurance. Just booked ours today after many previous frustrations with companies refusing to provide coverage because of the Canadian Government’s warning re cruise ships. We couldn’t afford to hold our breath hoping the warning would be lifted sooner rather than later as we head out November 11/21.

We did have a little hiccup at first when our first contact at Goose suggested we needed an emergency medical policy as well as a separate Covid 19 policy.

When I started to read the actual policy, there was a notation on Page 3 that said if you were fully vaccinated, the Covid 19 coverage would be included in the emergency medical policy.

That made our decision that much easier. All done in under 20 minutes, policy emailed immediately after payment and another item was stroked off of our “to do” list.

For us, we were able to get a 1 year multi trip policy that should do us until any further warnings are lifted.

Randy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pabrett46 said:

I had a quick look on Costco's travel insurance and it says it covers covid 19. 

Please be sure to verify that it will cover you for a cruise. Costco's travel insurance is through Manulife. I looked into Manulife directly (not through Costco), and the agent I spoke to for Manulife pointed to Section 8 paragraph 26 of their CoverMe policy, siting that as long as Canada had "avoid all travel" for cruises, Manulife insurance would not provide any coverage for people choosing to cruise, regardless of the wording they have throughout the policy that states you're not covered only if you're unvaccinated.

image.png.a4190ccdee5908a6b8eb9794635e9963.png

image.png.a34c5773da29538cb89210254da509a7.png

4 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We did have a little hiccup at first when our first contact at Goose suggested we needed an emergency medical policy as well as a separate Covid 19 policy.

When I started to read the actual policy, there was a notation on Page 3 that said if you were fully vaccinated, the Covid 19 coverage would be included in the emergency medical policy.

That made our decision that much easier. All done in under 20 minutes, policy emailed immediately after payment and another item was stroked off of our “to do” list.

For us, we were able to get a 1 year multi trip policy that should do us until any further warnings are lifted.

Randy

I too was told we'd need Emergency Medical as well as COVID policy... I looked all through the COVID policy (yes, all 20 pages) but haven't had a chance yet to review the Emergency Medical... and I see what you say about the notation on page 3... this is excellent news!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

Please be sure to verify that it will cover you for a cruise. Costco's travel insurance is through Manulife. I looked into Manulife directly (not through Costco), and the agent I spoke to for Manulife pointed to Section 8 paragraph 26 of their CoverMe policy, siting that as long as Canada had "avoid all travel" for cruises, Manulife insurance would not provide any coverage for people choosing to cruise, regardless of the wording they have throughout the policy that states you're not covered only if you're unvaccinated.

As @pabrett46 stated, the Costco/Manulife insurance covers cruising. As long as you are vaccinated, you are covered:

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary

This is not dissimilar to the situation with other companies where some groups are covered and others aren't. It would appear that Manulife takes into consideration the size of Costco's membership and can offer a sweeter deal than for the individual who goes directly to them looking for coverage.

19 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Randy

I emailed Goose customer support and asked for confirmation that emergency medical would cover COVID on a cruise if vaccinated and got the following response - 

-Covid coverage is NOT provided while travelling on a cruise with our emergency medical plan. If you wish to have coverage for Covid related illness while travelling on a cruise, you must purchase our annual Covid policy. You would have Covid coverage if you are vaccinated and travelling by land or air, but not while on a cruise. 
-Here is a link to our support article that has more information about this:  https://support.gooseinsurance.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405632071323-Does-the-COVID-19-policy-cover-me-on-a-cruise-

The link provided above states - 

- Yes, the COVID-19/pandemic policy does provide coverage for emergency medical expenses related to the pandemic while travellers are on cruise ships. Coverage for relevant expenses will continue to be provided while on a cruise, despite any travel advisories that may be in effect.

- Note, however, that our regular travel medical insurance policy does not provide coverage for COVID-related expenses while on a cruise if the current travel advisories remain in place warning against all cruise travel due to the pandemic. (see the travel restrictions on the Government of Canada website for status updates and more information).

- We suggest purchasing both insurance policies if your travel plans include cruise travel. More info on our annual COVID-19 plan and how it works together with our regular emergency travel medical plan can be found in this support article on our site.

Based on this, and the email from the company, it looks like we're back to buying both policies. But at least it's available 🙂

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As @pabrett46 stated, the Costco/Manulife insurance covers cruising. As long as you are vaccinated, you are covered:

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary

This is not dissimilar to the situation with other companies where some groups are covered and others aren't. It would appear that Manulife takes into consideration the size of Costco's membership and can offer a sweeter deal than for the individual who goes directly to them looking for coverage.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative. I had the same thoughts that the Manulife policy would cover you on a cruise given the above language in the policy. I had a lengthy discussion with the sales rep about it, certain he was mistaken... I even asked to speak to someone at a higher level. He pointed me to the exclusion section of the policy that states coverage excludes any travel where the federal government has advised "avoid all travel". I was told that until the feds lift this travel advisory for cruises, their policy will not cover cruise travel. All I am suggesting to people is to call Manulife directly and get clarification. If they say that cruise travel is covered, get it in writing. It wouldn't be the first time that front line people maybe didn't have all the information, but personally, I'd want to have something in writing to support this. I am not a lawyer nor an insurance adjuster/agent... I have my interpretation of what their policy is saying, but at the end of the day, they will be the ones to decide if an incident is covered or not.

5 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

Please don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative. I had the same thoughts that the Manulife policy would cover you on a cruise given the above language in the policy. I had a lengthy discussion with the sales rep about it, certain he was mistaken... I even asked to speak to someone at a higher level. He pointed me to the exclusion section of the policy that states coverage excludes any travel where the federal government has advised "avoid all travel". I was told that until the feds lift this travel advisory for cruises, their policy will not cover cruise travel. All I am suggesting to people is to call Manulife directly and get clarification. If they say that cruise travel is covered, get it in writing. It wouldn't be the first time that front line people maybe didn't have all the information, but personally, I'd want to have something in writing to support this. I am not a lawyer nor an insurance adjuster/agent... I have my interpretation of what their policy is saying, but at the end of the day, they will be the ones to decide if an incident is covered or not.

From a personal perspective, for a good number of months there were multiple posts saying no cruise coverage was available anywhere in Canada, even though my Johnson Insurance annual renewal papers stated categorically that COVID-related medical costs were covered with the cruise advisory in place. My follow up email to the company confirmed the contents of the renewal documents. Meanwhile, some of the naysayers insisted that they had contacted Johnson and were told no.

I certainly appreciate the fact that you are raising these issues to ensure that people look into coverage very carefully. My only concern is that those answering the phones sometimes lack the knowledge/training/experience to provide accurate information, and that potential customers don't always ask the right questions. When faced with a webpage stating that COVID coverage is available for cruises but a company representative saying it isn't over the phone, I'd be inclined to go with the webpage. But if I was in doubt, I would write to the company, explain in detail the apparent inconsistencies, and seek a definitive policy interpretation. 

16 hours ago, ctlyf said:

Good point!  Thanks.

I purchased the Manulife Covid-19 Pandemic Travel Plan through Costco, and the wording regarding the Emergency Medical exlusion is:

Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. For claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply. Exception: Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary is not covered if you have not received the vaccine. This exception does not apply to children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine. For claims not due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply if your medical condition is unrelated to the travel advisory.

Seems to me it covers cruises, if you are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mcgee109 said:

I purchased the Manulife Covid-19 Pandemic Travel Plan through Costco, and the wording regarding the Emergency Medical exlusion is:

Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. For claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply. Exception: Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary is not covered if you have not received the vaccine. This exception does not apply to children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine. For claims not due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply if your medical condition is unrelated to the travel advisory.

That was my interpretation as well.

54 minutes ago, mcgee109 said:

That's the difference though... paragraph 25 deals with "Avoid all non-essential travel". Cruises are currently "Avoid all travel". What was pointed out to me was the exclusion in paragraph 26 - 

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

Additionally, I received an email today (https://www.snowbirdadvisorinsurance.ca/travel/covid-19-travel-insurance-coverage-options?utm_source=Travel_Alerts&utm_medium=Email_Gold_Banner&utm_campaign=Aug_25_2021), and this was part of it - 

image.thumb.png.bacc38dd4085df1cf2cc0f596a47b0ea.png

46 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

That's the difference though... paragraph 25 deals with "Avoid all non-essential travel". Cruises are currently "Avoid all travel". What was pointed out to me was the exclusion in paragraph 26 - 

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

Additionally, I received an email today (https://www.snowbirdadvisorinsurance.ca/travel/covid-19-travel-insurance-coverage-options?utm_source=Travel_Alerts&utm_medium=Email_Gold_Banner&utm_campaign=Aug_25_2021), and this was part of it - 

image.thumb.png.bacc38dd4085df1cf2cc0f596a47b0ea.png

The second bullet point, which you have highlighted, refers to "The travel advisory for your destination". A month ago, that might have been applicable as there was a Level 3 advisory against non-essential travel to all countries. That has now been terminated, and there is currently no destination-based advisory.  

Whereas the information you have posted is totally silent on the question of cruising, when Manulife does address Covid coverage while cruising, it specifically allows for it if you are fully vaccinated:

Anyway, we are simply going around in circles here. Each passenger should determine to his or her satisfaction whether a given insurance policy covers them and whether or not to buy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Manulife 100% will not cover Covid or quarantine for cruises as long as the level 4 advisory is in place. 

wasnt aware there was a level 4 advisory in place for cruising just a recommendation not to even though its probably the safest place to be right now with all the protocols that ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER INDUSTRY has in place by the way.  Id feel safer on a cruise than going grocery shopping lol

2 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

wasnt aware there was a level 4 advisory in place for cruising just a recommendation not to even though its probably the safest place to be right now with all the protocols that ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER INDUSTRY has in place by the way.  Id feel safer on a cruise than going grocery shopping lol

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

"Avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice" = level 4 advisory. I sell Manulife travel insurance. Believe me when I tell you that policy isn't going to pay out a penny if you catch Covid on a cruise. If you purchased it within the last 10 days you can call and get a refund (if you purchased it more than 10 days ago, I would call and raise bloody hell if they won't refund you). I agree that cruising is perfectly safe - I just got off a ship this morning and am boarding another on Sunday, but at the end of the day, Manulife is not covering Covid for cruising until that advisory drops to a level 3. Blue Cross is the only one I'm aware of that's covering emergency medical for Covid if you catch it on a ship (I have read of some people having coverage through their work policies with other companies but Blue Cross is the only one I'm aware of that's offering a stand alone policy).

On 10/26/2021 at 8:31 AM, lx200gps said:

Very valid concerns. The possibility of testing positive post-cruise and not being able to fly back home is a huge issue for us as well. We've bought the Blue Cross coverage because it specifically does have COVID medical coverage for cruises, but they would not fly us home if we tested positive and were asymptomatic, which would almost certainly be the case as we are fully vaccinated. If we did come down with serious enough symptoms, then they would consider medevac-ing us home but presumably they would only do that if it were cheaper to charter a plane than pay the outrageous US medical costs.  We are sailing Princess out of Fort Lauderdale in late November and they do cover quarantine. They pay for the post-cruise test, and if either of us tests +, they will pay for the hotel and per diem for our stay, but they won't fly us home.  AFAIK, only Celebrity will fly anyone home who tests +, regardless of their medical status.

If you do test +, no Canadian airline will let you board so you would have few options. Sit out the quarantine in the US, drive all the way home, or take the dubious decision to fly inside the US to a border town nearest your home, then drive across. The CBSA would not prevent you from coming into Canada if you arrived at a land crossing, though I expect you would have to quarantine after you arrived. You would have to show the results of a PCR test, not Antigen, but I haven't heard any reports of what they do if you show up at the border with a positive result. I sure hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

I have been going around in circles on this issue also.  Blue Cross is the only insurer I could find that would cover me for COVID-19 and all other medical issues both on a cruise and in the US.  They will NOT cover any trip interruption or delay due to COVID if you test positive and have to quarantine in the US.  Had to come up with a plan for to quarantine on my own that I will have to  pay for if this happens.  I think I have this sorted out...I spoke to the Health department in Florida and you are not monitored during quarantine period and they don't care if you leave the state.  I also spoke to Canadian Border Security and Health Canada.  They will not let you back into Canada until day 14 after a positive test.  If you try to enter Canada each person in your party is likely to get a fine and it is up to $5000 per person.   Better just to get a hotel room and wait out the 14 days or not travel.  I have 2 cruises booked and paid so I am going to take my chances, but this is a personal choice.  Good luck to everyone on this issue!

4 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Manulife 100% will not cover Covid or quarantine for cruises as long as the level 4 advisory is in place. 

Just to clarify....I spoke to Manulife several times and they will not cover any issues on board a cruise and if you are staying in the US after your cruise you will not be covered for any COVID related issues.  Wish the Govt of Canada would remove the Avoid "ALL" cruise ship travel so it would no longer be a level 4 travel advisory. 

• Like 1

So it appears RCCL has extended their cruise with confidence program so on our upcoming cruise (Jan 20, 2022, booked yesterday) we would be covered for a hotel quarantine should we happen to test positive when onboard.  Am I correct in assuming if that is indeed the case it would be prudent to still try and obtain a policy that would cover any medical costs should we get severely ill as well (we are fully vaxxed but still the potential exists)?  Such as Blue Cross?

The situation is evolving so fast it is hard to keep up.

Thanks all.

10 hours ago, 3bouysandmom said:

I have been going around in circles on this issue also.  Blue Cross is the only insurer I could find that would cover me for COVID-19 and all other medical issues both on a cruise and in the US.  They will NOT cover any trip interruption or delay due to COVID if you test positive and have to quarantine in the US.  Had to come up with a plan for to quarantine on my own that I will have to  pay for if this happens.  I think I have this sorted out...I spoke to the Health department in Florida and you are not monitored during quarantine period and they don't care if you leave the state.  I also spoke to Canadian Border Security and Health Canada.  They will not let you back into Canada until day 14 after a positive test.  If you try to enter Canada each person in your party is likely to get a fine and it is up to $5000 per person.   Better just to get a hotel room and wait out the 14 days or not travel.  I have 2 cruises booked and paid so I am going to take my chances, but this is a personal choice.  Good luck to everyone on this issue!

Hi, I agree about the Blue Cross coverage.  Having a quarantine plan is good.  The only thing I question is about returning to Canada.  I have been following this topic pretty closely over the last few months,  my general understanding is that as a Canadian Citizen they cannot deny you entry to the country enough if you have covid, you would obviously need to quarantine when you arrive home.  You would not be able to fly home because you would require a negative test.  But general consensus is from what I've been reading is that you could drive.   Not saying I would recommend driving from Florida as you would obviously need to stop places to eat and use facilities and would risk spreading it.  But an example was that we were planning to drive from Ontario to Buffalo, fly to Florida, cruise, fly back to Buffalo and do our return test.  It is my understanding that even if we tested positive we could still get in our car and drive home.  Fortunately, my upcoming cruise is on Royal Caribbean and the quarantine is covered, so our plan is to do the free PCR on the ship for return travel and hope for the best.