We can't find any companies that sells Covid quarantine insurance for Canadian cruisers

gam888

19 minutes ago, nickiford said:

Hi, I agree about the Blue Cross coverage.  Having a quarantine plan is good.  The only thing I question is about returning to Canada.  I have been following this topic pretty closely over the last few months,  my general understanding is that as a Canadian Citizen they cannot deny you entry to the country enough if you have covid, you would obviously need to quarantine when you arrive home.  You would not be able to fly home because you would require a negative test.  But general consensus is from what I've been reading is that you could drive.   Not saying I would recommend driving from Florida as you would obviously need to stop places to eat and use facilities and would risk spreading it.  But an example was that we were planning to drive from Ontario to Buffalo, fly to Florida, cruise, fly back to Buffalo and do our return test.  It is my understanding that even if we tested positive we could still get in our car and drive home.  Fortunately, my upcoming cruise is on Royal Caribbean and the quarantine is covered, so our plan is to do the free PCR on the ship for return travel and hope for the best.

Also with Royal for Dec, and March if we go.  We have refundable flights booked for Dec, but since it's New Jersey and we're in Ontario, it's also an option to drive.  At moment, still planning on flying but we have time to change our minds (as then we could drive home, which is about a 10hr drive for us - but still not sure how washroom breaks would work - food you could do drive through but that doesn't quite work for washroom).  In your case, how would you get to your car in Buffalo?

Royal does say that they cover costs of quarantine or get your home (latter would be great but guessing that won't work for us Canadians)...but we still purchased Blue Cross.  We got the deal that it covered trips for a year, and we have trips planned for Dec, March and August  so great deal for us (first two are a cruise - both with Royal)

Edited by LuCruise

10 hours ago, 3bouysandmom said:

I have been going around in circles on this issue also.  Blue Cross is the only insurer I could find that would cover me for COVID-19 and all other medical issues both on a cruise and in the US.  They will NOT cover any trip interruption or delay due to COVID if you test positive and have to quarantine in the US.  Had to come up with a plan for to quarantine on my own that I will have to  pay for if this happens.  I think I have this sorted out...I spoke to the Health department in Florida and you are not monitored during quarantine period and they don't care if you leave the state.  I also spoke to Canadian Border Security and Health Canada.  They will not let you back into Canada until day 14 after a positive test.  If you try to enter Canada each person in your party is likely to get a fine and it is up to $5000 per person.   Better just to get a hotel room and wait out the 14 days or not travel.  I have 2 cruises booked and paid so I am going to take my chances, but this is a personal choice.  Good luck to everyone on this issue!

Well, this is hugely worrying. I've scoured the various Canadian gvt websites as well as the ArriveCan site, and never saw the requirement to provide a NEGATIVE test, only that you had to provide a VALID test. They also make frequent mention of having a quarantine plan in place. The ArriveCan app even has a checklist of questions to answer, to determine whether you can enter Canada 1) Are you Canadian ; YES 2) Do you have COVID symptoms: NO   "Based on your answers, you can enter Canada"  So, digging even further into their websites, I finally found exactly one statement that does say "...negative test..." and seems to confirm your statement.  Even more annoyingly, they also say

"

If a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Indian Act, or permanent resident does not provide proof of a valid molecular test result they:

will be allowed entry, but may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000 plus additional surcharges or face criminal prosecution

may also be required to go to a designated quarantine facility if they are symptomatic on arrival at the border, or do not have a suitable quarantine plan

Note this also does not say "...negative test..." Bottom line is that I would have hoped that they would allow fully vaccinated, asymptomatic Canadians with a properly conducted valid i.e. PCR POSITIVE test result to enter their own home country, albeit with a requirement to quarantine at home after arrival, but that does not appear to be the case.  We live a few kms away from Montreal airport, so I think I'll be paying a visit to the CBSA office to ask in person. I know flying into Canada positive is impossible, but I owuld have hoped the land border restrictions were somewhat less onerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Also with Royal for Dec, and March if we go.  We have refundable flights booked for Dec, but since it's New Jersey and we're in Ontario, it's also an option to drive.  At moment, still planning on flying but we have time to change our minds (as then we could drive home, which is about a 10hr drive for us - but still not sure how washroom breaks would work - food you could do drive through but that doesn't quite work for washroom).  In your case, how would you get to your car in Buffalo?

Royal does say that they cover costs of quarantine or get your home (latter would be great but guessing that won't work for us Canadians)...but we still purchased Blue Cross.  We got the deal that it covered trips for a year, and we have trips planned for Dec, March and August  so great deal for us (first two are a cruise - both with Royal)

Originally before I knew about the quarantine coverage, we were not going to do the test on the ship, we we were going to fly back to Buffalo and then do the test there.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Well, this is hugely worrying. I've scoured the various Canadian gvt websites as well as the ArriveCan site, and never saw the requirement to provide a NEGATIVE test, only that you had to provide a VALID test. They also make frequent mention of having a quarantine plan in place. The ArriveCan app even has a checklist of questions to answer, to determine whether you can enter Canada 1) Are you Canadian ; YES 2) Do you have COVID symptoms: NO   "Based on your answers, you can enter Canada"  So, digging even further into their websites, I finally found exactly one statement that does say "...negative test..." and seems to confirm your statement.  Even more annoyingly, they also say

"

If a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Indian Act, or permanent resident does not provide proof of a valid molecular test result they:

will be allowed entry, but may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000 plus additional surcharges or face criminal prosecution

may also be required to go to a designated quarantine facility if they are symptomatic on arrival at the border, or do not have a suitable quarantine plan

Note this also does not say "...negative test..." Bottom line is that I would have hoped that they would allow fully vaccinated, asymptomatic Canadians with a properly conducted valid i.e. PCR POSITIVE test result to enter their own home country, albeit with a requirement to quarantine at home after arrival, but that does not appear to be the case.  We live a few kms away from Montreal airport, so I think I'll be paying a visit to the CBSA office to ask in person. I know flying into Canada positive is impossible, but I owuld have hoped the land border restrictions were somewhat less onerous.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Pre-entry test result requirements

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days.

Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted.

...Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test 

That seems pretty clear to me.  There are other references to negative tests on the page too.

Edited by crickette
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, crickette said:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Pre-entry test result requirements

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days.

Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted.

...Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test 

That seems pretty clear to me.  There are other references to negative tests on the page too.

Pretty sure this is for flying into Canada.  We are talking about driving into Canada.  

33 minutes ago, nickiford said:

Pretty sure this is for flying into Canada.  We are talking about driving into Canada.  

I usually don't like to quote news media for answers, but this is pretty clear:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/molecular-tests-requirement-remain-border-open-1.6214317

What is not clear, is the answer to "If you present at the land border asymptomatic but with a positive test in that 72 hour window, what happens?"

1 hour ago, nickiford said:

The same rule applies to those driving into Canada:

Arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry, or train from the United States

You must take a molecular test in the United States within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada

1 hour ago, crickette said:

I usually don't like to quote news media for answers, but this is pretty clear:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/molecular-tests-requirement-remain-border-open-1.6214317

What is not clear, is the answer to "If you present at the land border asymptomatic but with a positive test in that 72 hour window, what happens?"

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada. As a fully vaccinated Canadian with no covid symptoms you will be allowed to enter and not have to quarantine. If you have symptoms you will still be allowed entry but will have to enter a quarantine plan into the Arrrivecan app.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada. As a fully vaccinated Canadian with no covid symptoms you will be allowed to enter and not have to quarantine. If you have symptoms you will still be allowed entry but will have to enter a quarantine plan into the Arrrivecan app.

fully vaccinated, no symptoms, and a positive PCR test within 72 hour window ... ???

1 hour ago, crickette said:

fully vaccinated, no symptoms, and a positive PCR test within 72 hour window ... ???

If you have a positive PCR test and are asymptomatic, or you were possibly exposed to COVID:

Testing positive or possible exposure within 14 days of your entry to Canada

Monitor for symptoms for at least 14 days after your arrival. If you start having COVID-19 symptoms you must immediately:

• contact the local public health authority and follow their directions, including isolation
  • report symptoms to PHAC by calling 1-833-641-0343

You must provide proof of your test results, if asked, to any federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government official or peace officer.

If you have a positive PCR test and are symptomatic, you no longer qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and will be obliged to quarantine for 14 days:

2. Quarantine plan in case you don’t qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

You must be prepared to quarantine for 14 days, in case you:

• don’t meet the requirements of a fully vaccinated traveller

A suitable quarantine plan must be entered into ArriveCAN. You may be asked to explain your quarantine plan at the border.

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you have a positive PCR test and are asymptomatic, or you were possibly exposed to COVID:

Monitor for symptoms for at least 14 days after your arrival. If you start having COVID-19 symptoms you must immediately:

• contact the local public health authority and follow their directions, including isolation

You must provide proof of your test results, if asked, to any federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government official or peace officer.

If you have a positive PCR test and are symptomatic, you no longer qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and will be obliged to quarantine for 14 days:

A suitable quarantine plan must be entered into ArriveCAN. You may be asked to explain your quarantine plan at the border.

Thank you.  Can you tell me where you found this wording?

And I assume this wording applies to land border entry.

Edited by crickette

5 minutes ago, crickette said:

Thank you.  Can you tell me where you found this wording?

And I assume this wording applies to land border entry.

If you read through the link I provided you will have these questions answered. It's why the link was posted. The government of Canada web site is the most authoritative site for answers to these questions. The link directly addresses your query in detail.

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I believe this is an extract from that hopelessly confusing government site quoted above? I've tried to understand that site, opened up all the pulldowns, etc and still find it confusing if not downright contradictory.  Sorry for the long post:

They start off optimistically:

All travellers are eligible to enter Canada if they qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller regardless of citizenship.

Canadians are always eligible to enter Canada but must complete testing requirements and mandatory quarantine if they do not qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

Seems to continue well...

Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

have received at least 2 doses of a Government of Canada-accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a mix of 2 accepted vaccines

or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine

have received your second dose at least 14 full days prior to the day you enter Canada

Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday July 1, then Friday July 16 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition

upload your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19

meet all other entry requirements (for example, pre-entry test result)

but note the last sentence.  When you click on that link to find the "All other entry requirements...", you get this:

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you must also follow these requirements:

1. Get a pre-entry test (accepted types and timing)

Who must take a pre-entry test

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must:

provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR

proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days.

Further down, it states:

You must take a molecular test in the United States within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada

...with no mention of what your test results must be.  Then finally....

If you don't provide proof of a valid COVID-19 test

Foreign nationals without a valid negative COVID-19 molecular test result, proof of a previous positive test result or who have symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed into Canada

Sorry, but this web page just doesn't answer the question of what would happen if you drove up to the border waving a positive PCR test result. To me, a positive PCR test result would be a valid test result but It leaves far too much open to interpretation. It's almost as if our government doesn't want us to travel  ;o)

Edited by lx200gps

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you have a positive test you aren't considered a fully vaccinated Canadian, and must quarantine on arrival, using your quarantine plan.

Provide a government of Canada link that says this please.

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I believe this is an extract from that hopelessly confusing government site quoted above? I've tried to understand that site, opened up all the pulldowns, etc and still find it confusing if not downright contradictory.  Sorry for the long post:

They start off optimistically:

All travellers are eligible to enter Canada if they qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller regardless of citizenship.

Canadians are always eligible to enter Canada but must complete testing requirements and mandatory quarantine if they do not qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

Seems to continue well...

Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

have received at least 2 doses of a Government of Canada-accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a mix of 2 accepted vaccines

or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine

have received your second dose at least 14 full days prior to the day you enter Canada

Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday July 1, then Friday July 16 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition

upload your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19

meet all other entry requirements (for example, pre-entry test result)

but note the last sentence.  When you click on that link to find the "All other entry requirements...", you get this:

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you must also follow these requirements:

1. Get a pre-entry test (accepted types and timing)

Who must take a pre-entry test

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must:

provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR

proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days.

Further down, it states:

...with no mention of what your test results must be.  Then finally....

If you don't provide proof of a valid COVID-19 test

Foreign nationals without a valid negative COVID-19 molecular test result, proof of a previous positive test result or who have symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed into Canada

Sorry, but this web page just doesn't answer the question of what would happen if you drove up to the border waving a positive PCR test result. To me, a positive PCR test result would be a valid test result but It leaves far too much open to interpretation. It's almost as if our government doesn't want us to travel  ;o)

You are needlessly complicating things. Start with the fact that constitutionally Canadians cannot be refused entry into Canada. Hence,

from https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

• Canadians are always eligible to enter Canada but must complete testing requirements and mandatory quarantine if they do not qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you have a positive test you aren't considered a fully vaccinated Canadian, and must quarantine on arrival, using your quarantine plan.

Agreed. While the travel.gc.ca document is convoluted and you need to skip around to pull related information together, what you say in one sentence is exactly right.

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Agreed. While the travel.gc.ca document is convoluted and you need to skip around to pull related information together, what you say in one sentence is exactly right.

Fair enough. From decades spent working contracts, I've developed a sore spot for the use of imprecise language in important documents. This site requires one to piece together a number of disparate bits of information, then infer a conclusion, rather than explicitly stating the desired answer in a single, simple statement. Even the question of whether you can drive back to Canada as a fully vaccinated resident with a negative test isn't explicitly stated, but at least it's clear enough to make a reasonable inference.  It sure would be great to have some nice clear FAQs answering these questions.

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Fair enough. From decades spent working contracts, I've developed a sore spot for the use of imprecise language in important documents. This site requires one to piece together a number of disparate bits of information, then infer a conclusion, rather than explicitly stating the desired answer in a single, simple statement. Even the question of whether you can drive back to Canada as a fully vaccinated resident with a negative test isn't explicitly stated, but at least it's clear enough to make a reasonable inference.  It sure would be great to have some nice clear FAQs answering these questions.

I couldn't agree more. Over here it says A=B; somewhere else it says B=C; nowhere does it say that C=A, you are left to draw that conclusion on your own. If I were the senior manager responsible for this program, the webpage as currently constructed would never have seen the light of day.

You are right, FAQs would assist, but I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that there is a direct correlation between the rise of FAQs and the fall of well worded, concise documents. Organizations are increasingly publishing sloppy work which require FAQs to explain what should have been made obvious in the initial document.

End of rant. 😇

• Like 1

Does this mean they are going to allow cruise ships to dock in Canada but Canadians shouldn’t travel on them?  Or do you think they are going to adjust the level 4 travel advisory on cruise ship travel to a level 3 now that we will be accepting ships?  
Seems a little hypocritical not to update it.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Really.  The site I'm looking at says something very different...

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

That is a direct quotation from the GOC travel advisories website. Here's a screen grab of that section:

657994843_ScreenShot2021-11-01at4_56_42PM.thumb.png.58555b9c5ad736834dc533b86976bbe6.png

If you follow the link, it takes you to the page you have cited. And that page says essentially the same thing, albeit not in exactly the same words.

58 minutes ago, jake1964 said:

Does this mean they are going to allow cruise ships to dock in Canada but Canadians shouldn’t travel on them?  Or do you think they are going to adjust the level 4 travel advisory on cruise ship travel to a level 3 now that we will be accepting ships?  
Seems a little hypocritical not to update it.  

Do we typically have cruise ships in Canada in the winter? If not, doesn't that mean the first cruise ships won't even be in Canada until spring 2022? Personally, I don't think Canada will change their advisory on cruise travel until the CDC lifts the CSO at the earliest, which has been extended to Jan 2022.