Liquor Purchases

kshawks

Wife and I were so disappointed  on our Sept 11Mardi Gras cruise, actually our ONLY disappointment on the entire cruise !  Checked the liquor/cig stand and NO Bailey's Irish cream😰 In fact, no Irish cream liquor at all. Oh well, maybe better luck on our next cruise.

Mac

If you are purchasing numerous bottles, I would definitely ensure you check on current policies about bringing liquor back into the States.  Many years ago a friend of ours had apparently exceeded the limit at the time and was hit with a fine upon reentry.  I don't recall it being anything significant, but it was an unexpected expense at the port.  I am not sure what the current policies are, but it is something you definitely want to check on just to ensure your good deal remains a good deal.  

36 minutes ago, Qchell said:

If you are purchasing numerous bottles, I would definitely ensure you check on current policies about bringing liquor back into the States.  Many years ago a friend of ours had apparently exceeded the limit at the time and was hit with a fine upon reentry.  I don't recall it being anything significant, but it was an unexpected expense at the port.  I am not sure what the current policies are, but it is something you definitely want to check on just to ensure your good deal remains a good deal.  

It wasn't a fine, it was import duty. If you exceed your duty free allowance you pay a duty on the remaining goods that you purchased, and taxes on liquor and cigarettes. You can bring back as much as you want for personal use as long as you are willing to pay the duty on it.

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

Wife and I were so disappointed  on our Sept 11Mardi Gras cruise, actually our ONLY disappointment on the entire cruise !  Checked the liquor/cig stand and NO Bailey's Irish cream😰 In fact, no Irish cream liquor at all. Oh well, maybe better luck on our next cruise.

Mac

Don't tell me this.  I *need* to get some Bailey's chocolate luxe!!!!!!!!!  😭

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It wasn't a fine, it was import duty. If you exceed your duty free allowance you pay a duty on the remaining goods that you purchased, and taxes on liquor and cigarettes. You can bring back as much as you want for personal use as long as you are willing to pay the duty on it.

Unless they lied and got caught with it.  I do not recommend.  

But that would be much more so it likely wasn't. 

17 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Unless they lied and got caught with it.  I do not recommend.  

But that would be much more so it likely wasn't. 

Yes, but nothing in the previous poster's post led me to believe that was the case. In addition to the fine they may also confiscate the undeclared items (and I suspect that for booze it has to be a really egregious amount before CBP will consider this). The ship will report large purchases to CBP and some vendors on the islands may also do this.

5 hours ago, Theo1429 said:

5 bottles per person limit and TSA will open your luggage .We flew out of New Orleans after a cruise liquor has to be wrapped in plastic it was a big hassle but worth it brought back some liquor you can't get where we live.

The 5 bottle limit you referred to only applies if 4 of the bottles are from  "U.S. insular possession" being the U.S. Virgin Islands for a NOLA cruise. 

We can bring back more than the one bottle duty free limit as long as we declare it and are willing to pay the duty. They have always waved me through with a few bottles as they don't even want to bother with the paperwork or border delays. Bring a case or more and expect to be charged the additional duty.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:02 AM, sparks1093 said:

Yes, but nothing in the previous poster's post led me to believe that was the case. In addition to the fine they may also confiscate the undeclared items (and I suspect that for booze it has to be a really egregious amount before CBP will consider this). The ship will report large purchases to CBP and some vendors on the islands may also do this.

I agree.  I was just adding that on in case someone decided to not claim it.  A family member I travelled with thought they'd just "hide" it in their suitcase. 

I also had a friend who hid it in a baby bag.  That got a higher fine. This was at a land border. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mondello said:

We can bring back more than the one bottle duty free limit as long as we declare it and are willing to pay the duty. They have always waved me through with a few bottles as they don't even want to bother with the paperwork or border delays. Bring a case or more and expect to be charged the additional duty.

This reminds me of an funny (or, it was to me)situation on my very first  solo cruise to Nassau/Freeport in 1987 on the Carnival Mardi Gras. On our last morning after, docking in Port Lauderdale everybody gathered their luggage, and formed a long snake line, waiting behind a yellow line to go though the single customs agent sitting behind a long wooden desk covered with pencils, pens and papers.  

As we inched along, waiting our turn, each group would approach, present the form.. well, we ALL know the d. He'd study the passport if all were legal and proper, then stamp em and you could leave. When my time came, I approached, gave him my passport w/declaration form inside and waited because I knew what was about too come. He barely looked at the passport BUT intently studied the form and said in a loud deep official tone ' You have TWO bottles of liquor ??' Staring up at me puzzled. 'But, you're only ALLOWED one ! I said, 'Yes Sir, I know and I'm ready too pay any duty tax necessary'. He looked confused for a second, muttering, Oh Nooo,' then taking a blank pad he began write out in long form different multi numerical numbers, divided by percentages, and I could see sweat beginning to run down his forehead. But I did NOT smile, just stood there, as a citizen, waiting to do my civic duty. I surely did not want him to think I was amused at his er-'situation'. Finally, after almost ten mins and a sheet of figures, he could sense how upset the long line was getting behind me, he finally disgustily threw the pencil down, and said, 'Oh the 'heck'--but he didn't say 'heck' we all know what he said, 'Just take the extra fifth and GO !!'' I said in a gentle voice, 'Oh ? If you're sure it's okay ? He glared up at me, pointed at the door at the end of the hall and said , 'YES ! Go ! I picked up my belongings and left.

Mac

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 10:24 PM, kshawks said:

Thank you all for the info 🙃 last cruise I was able to get 12 bottles of crown for about $17 each or so. 

Did u happen to notice what kinds of whiskey were  available at the bars onboard?

Edited by camper49