Another “LIVE from the Edge” thread??? Yes it is…….

mac_tlc

8 minutes ago, ATG said:

@mac_tlc Thanks for all the info.  Today we passed our Covid tests, bags are mostly packed.  Tomorrow we fly to Fort Lauderdale.  We’ve enjoyed seeing your pictures and are looking forward to seeing the ship.

Congrats on your negative test! Nothing better than the anticipation of embarkation day!!! 

mac_tlc

On 10/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, kwokpot said:

Mac_tlc:

I hope you don't mind me contributing to your trip report. 

The captain just did his 10am daily report. He announced no reported cases or suspected cases of covid, and he will do a daily update of this status. Our next port of call is Roatan which requires a ship sponsored tour to disembark the ship. 

I see you mentioned "the captain just did his 10am daily report". I guess that I assumed wrong that Captain Kate is still sailing the Edge. Is she on hiatus now or has already moved to oversee final preparations for captaining Beyond next April?  Wondering because my husband and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary March 2022 and were hoping the book the Edge on March 20th with her as captain before she left for Beyond.

12 minutes ago, FishOn55 said:

I see you mentioned "the captain just did his 10am daily report". I guess that I assumed wrong that Captain Kate is still sailing the Edge. Is she on hiatus now or has already moved to oversee final preparations for captaining Beyond next April?  Wondering because my husband and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary March 2022 and were hoping the book the Edge on March 20th with her as captain before she left for Beyond.

The Captain onboard is Captain Costas. Captain Kate left around the end of September I believe. My guess is she will not be back onboard the Edge. I have seen photos of her at the shipyard with the Beyond. 

Congrats on your 50th! We will be on board the Edge on 3/27/22.

mac_tlc

5 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The Captain onboard is Captain Costas. Captain Kate left around the end of September I believe. My guess is she will not be back onboard the Edge. I have seen photos of her at the shipyard with the Beyond. 

mac_tlc

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and your kind words on our upcoming 50th. My husband will be disappointed as he was really looking forward to meeting Captain Kate. Guess we may have to book Beyond once it makes it to Florida!  Sounds as if you are having a wonderful time....continue to enjoy! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FishOn55 said:

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and your kind words on our upcoming 50th. My husband will be disappointed as he was really looking forward to meeting Captain Kate. Guess we may have to book Beyond once it makes it to Florida!  Sounds as if you are having a wonderful time....continue to enjoy! 

Captain Kate recently boarded Apex. Maybe she will captain Apex for a while before Beyond sails, or maybe she was just onboard for the naming ceremony. 

Edited by BettyCruiser

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

Those cookies were available most days at Al Baccio, the Galeteria and/or the ice cream station on Equinox a couple of weeks ago. The brownies were seen at Al Baccio a few times as well. 

While I personally find it to be incredibly boring of all the food pics being posted ad infinitum, scrambled eggs, omelets, fruit plates, they never look any diff than what we make at home.  🙂  OK I digress and it is just my opinion.  That said, the poster was specifically referring to what he found to be only available on Edge/Eden, no mention of Equinox.

For those of you interested in such things, the entire Retreat Concierge team will be moving around in the coming months.

Houssain, Joao, and Amber have been on Edge since the restart. 

Houssain has two more cruises then vacation and will be joining the Silhouette in January. 

Amber and Joao will stay another month. After vacation, Amber will join the Equinox. Joao does not know his next assignment. Before the shutdown, his wife was also a crew member, but she has not come back yet. Hopefully everything will work out for everyone. 

No word on who will be joining the Edge. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

8 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

mac_tlc -  We’re also on the 03/27/22 sailing but I haven’t been able to locate the corresponding Roll Call.  It appears this cruise started out slated for a different route and I found the corresponding Roll Call, but not this Western Caribbean sailing.  Am I just somehow missing it??   Because we’ve been to all the ports on previous sailings, we’re leaning towards spending most port days on board to enjoy the Retreat.  But we’d also like to see what others are planning! (Fear of missing out!)  When you’ve stayed on board on port days have you found enough variety for lunch?  It doesn’t appear there are many options available.

Thanks so much for your help!  Looking forward to sailing again after a long drought!

jwb3843

@mac_tlc just curious about some general info since you have been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. The wife and I have only been on RC and in suites on Allure the last 3 cruises. We love the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen but feel like we have outgrow RC and are looking for a nicer experience. I am sure RC suites don’t compare to the Retreat, but we don’t want anything stuffy or formal. If I can’t wear shorts to breakfast and lunch and nice jeans with a Hawaii shirt to dinner then I am not interested, we really only dress up for funerals. We just got off Allure 10/24 and had the Apex in port next to us twice, very nice looking ship. I am just starting to look around for some other options but wonder how would you compare the two lines as far as formality and atmosphere?

10 hours ago, jwb3843 said:

mac_tlc -  We’re also on the 03/27/22 sailing but I haven’t been able to locate the corresponding Roll Call.  It appears this cruise started out slated for a different route and I found the corresponding Roll Call, but not this Western Caribbean sailing.  Am I just somehow missing it??   Because we’ve been to all the ports on previous sailings, we’re leaning towards spending most port days on board to enjoy the Retreat.  But we’d also like to see what others are planning! (Fear of missing out!)  When you’ve stayed on board on port days have you found enough variety for lunch?  It doesn’t appear there are many options available.

Thanks so much for your help!  Looking forward to sailing again after a long drought!

jwb3843

I took a quick look and saw a roll call for 3/28/22, but that’s not a correct set sail date. Start one for 3/27 and I’ll hop on!

We only got off the ship in Cozumel so we had two port days on board. For lunch you have Oceanview Cafe, Eden Cafe, Mast Grill, Spa Cafe (in Solarium). Also have the Retreat Bar for lunch. We are at the Retreat Bar and Mast Grill on our two port days. 

We will go back to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel and go to Maya Chan in Costa Maya for the March trip. Come join us!!

mac_tlc

7 hours ago, Espn said:

@mac_tlc just curious about some general info since you have been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. The wife and I have only been on RC and in suites on Allure the last 3 cruises. We love the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen but feel like we have outgrow RC and are looking for a nicer experience. I am sure RC suites don’t compare to the Retreat, but we don’t want anything stuffy or formal. If I can’t wear shorts to breakfast and lunch and nice jeans with a Hawaii shirt to dinner then I am not interested, we really only dress up for funerals. We just got off Allure 10/24 and had the Apex in port next to us twice, very nice looking ship. I am just starting to look around for some other options but wonder how would you compare the two lines as far as formality and atmosphere?

We have done a JS,GS,CLS and AQ suites on Royal ships. The Suite lounge at least on Oasis class is very good as is Coastal Kitchen. On Edge, the Retreat area is a step up —- mainly because the ship was designed for it. The lounge is spacious and awesome with large door to ceiling windows on one side and an outdoor seating area on the other. The retreat is deck is huge with a pool, bar and food. 

I think Luminae is a bit better than Coastal Kitchen. Dress is casual every night. We like to get dressed up a couple nights and I wore a suit and tie both nights. Some did, more didn’t. My only “ding” on Luminae is that the menu has fewer choices than the MDR and on Edge-class it hard —- but not impossible—- to get stuff off of the main dining room menus. The atmosphere is relaxed, and a bit more subdued than CK which I find sometimes to be a bit chaotic and loud. 

The ship is stunning, and as we also get older, we find th e size more manageable.  We have done Oasis ships probably 10-12 times and the size is getting a bit big. Edge is a perfect size. 

The live music has been tremendous with a good variety. The shows in the theatre were excellent. The group last night, Bailiamos, was one of the best I have ever seen on a ship. Such energy!!

In summary, I think you will like Celebrity Edge class. We have been making the same move you are contemplating.

BTW —- How Hawaiian😜😜😜

mac_tlc 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well we are back in Port Everglades. Four other ships in port today —- nice to see! Here are a few pictures as we get ready to head to Luminae for one last meal! 

I hope you enjoyed following along. When I have all of my pictures loaded to Flickr, I will post a link. 

Thanks for following!!

mac_tlc

C158CD3D-90BC-40AE-83CE-4BF5D56E7880.jpeg

C60B53EE-1F0D-4BE0-B843-E67E4A01A32B.jpeg

64EEDDF7-AC7A-433D-8E27-762F4CE85959.jpeg

102509D8-96C1-4A93-AD09-93883BC5908E.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Well we are back in Port Everglades. Four other ships in port today —- nice to see! Here are a few pictures as we get ready to head to Luminae for one last meal! 

Actually there's at least 6 others ships in port! 

15 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Houssain has two more cruises then vacation and will be joining the Silhouette in January. 

mac_tlc

We've been on 2 cruises with Houssain, Equinox and Edge.  Wonder if he will still be on Silhouette March 7. If you get a chance, would you ask him? Thanks

OOPS, I see you disembark today. Glad you had a great cruise and thanks for the review.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I took a quick look and saw a roll call for 3/28/22, but that’s not a correct set sail date. Start one for 3/27 and I’ll hop on!

We only got off the ship in Cozumel so we had two port days on board. For lunch you have Oceanview Cafe, Eden Cafe, Mast Grill, Spa Cafe (in Solarium). Also have the Retreat Bar for lunch. We are at the Retreat Bar and Mast Grill on our two port days. 

We will go back to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel and go to Maya Chan in Costa Maya for the March trip. Come join us!!

mac_tlc

Roll call added!!  Thanks so much for the port day lunch options.  Let’s chat on the roll call regarding Nachi Cocum and Maya Chan!  Have a safe trip home!

• Like 1

Disembarkation was a breeze. Left our room at 8:00am and literally walked right off the ship, no lines or crowds anywhere. CBP uses facial recognition so no need to take out your passports. Lyft to FLL airport came in less than 10 minutes. Was at my flights gate at 8:50am.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, mac_tlc said:

We are in a Sky Suite on deck 10. We were in one in July and really loved it. Probably will go to Luminae most nights, although we have a reservation for Petit Chef on Day 2. We were going to do Eden but decided to wait until our January Apex cruise since the Apex Eden menu is different and has more choices. We have never done Petit Chef so we are looking forward to it. 

Have some "move-up" bids placed on an RS and EV but do not expect anything to happen with them. There are still about 30 suites (S1, S2, S3) available --- I bet some folks may get some upgrades if they placed bids. 

We have a 12:30 boarding time and plan to be there around 12 noon. Will be driving down Saturday morning and dropping off the rental car then onto the shuttle. 

mac_tlc

Thanks mac_tic and kwokpot for your very helpful and enjoyable postings.  They have ratched up my excitement level.   Watched the Edge since she pulled out of port  and saw her safely dock early this morning.  Hope you both have uneventful flights home.

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We've been on 2 cruises with Houssain, Equinox and Edge.  Wonder if he will still be on Silhouette March 7. If you get a chance, would you ask him? Thanks

OOPS, I see you disembark today. Glad you had a great cruise and thanks for the review.

He will be on Silhouette from January to July. We looked to see if we could fit in another cruise but the Silhouette suite prices were insane. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

2 hours ago, Marion B said:

Thanks mac_tic and kwokpot for your very helpful and enjoyable postings.  They have ratched up my excitement level.   Watched the Edge since she pulled out of port  and saw her safely dock early this morning.  Hope you both have uneventful flights home.

Thanks for following! We are driving up to Orlando for 6 days at our house there, then fly back to CT on Friday.

42 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

He will be on Silhouette from January to July. We looked to see if we could fit in another cruise but the Silhouette suite prices were insane. 

mac_tlc

Thanks. This will be our 3rd cruise with him.  Surprised that he is leaving an E class for S class. Check prices with the 1/2 off.  We just saved almost $3,800 on the PH March 7.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU