Validation Of Vaccine Record

Anton

On 10/28/2021 at 5:10 PM, Zingy2 said:

I am curious to know how "precisely" RCCL "Validates" an individuals submitted Vaccination card information, especially if the information is not uploaded into any local city, county, state, federal or international database, where it can then be accessed by authorized entities for validation.  This could prove to be problematic down the road for folks (Anton's situation being a prime example), where individuals are updating their vaccination cards with booster information, or having their cards replicated/replaced for bona fide reasons.  There are also locales around the country/world which do not have organized registry's that track an individual's vaccination status.  The only "official record" a person would have is their CDC COVID vaccination card. How, precisely, would RCCL validate that as well.

Every state in the US, along with American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, N. Mariana islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, has as IIS (Immunization Information System database) or some form of it.  New York, Philadelphia, and San Antonio keep their own database. All vaccinations are recorded in these databases.   Easy enough to validate vaccine records of any vaccine.   To test it out, my daughter and I looked up her vaccine records all of her childhood vaccines as well as all adult vaccines were there. Her covid vaccines, including the recent booster were also recorded.

1 hour ago, cured said:

Every state in the US, along with American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, N. Mariana islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, has as IIS (Immunization Information System database) or some form of it.  New York, Philadelphia, and San Antonio keep their own database. All vaccinations are recorded in these databases.   Easy enough to validate vaccine records of any vaccine.   To test it out, my daughter and I looked up her vaccine records all of her childhood vaccines as well as all adult vaccines were there. Her covid vaccines, including the recent booster were also recorded.

Easy for YOU to check, as custodian of the record,  impossible for a 3rd party; and again NO national database. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Mine was in validating status and today the entire vaccine section disappeared from the check-in area.

97F6B6AD-22D2-4452-83CE-268EAD55530D.jpeg

Of course this should be surprising but then it's RCI IT, so it's par for the course.  Put you in the validation box for a couple of days and then say 'oh, just forget it' and dump the whole vaccine part.

14 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

Works if your vaccine provider uses the system.  It’s a private company available to doctors in the US. I wouldn’t call it a national registry. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/index.html

EPIC is connected to the system reference above. As is most larger PCP practices (at least in central Ohio) . I did not call EPIC a registry but a .method to retrieve records from the national system ( linked above).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Mine was in validating status and today the entire vaccine section disappeared from the check-in area.

97F6B6AD-22D2-4452-83CE-268EAD55530D.jpeg

been experiencing the same as described by everyone. It went to validation and now it disappeared just like Heymarco. 

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

That doesn’t say anything about a national database. It says that providers must follow CDC guidelines, report dosage information to CDC for their stats, and keep their personal medical records up to date (nothing about reporting that back to CDC). 

After 2012 the immunization data \ Information system was started. On the right hand side of the page click on Requirements and resources, Then click on reporting Requirements, And everything with an * beside it is mandatory reporting. Your personal info includes Name ID, birth date, and sex. 

3 hours ago, Medic5emt said:

I have been practicing medicine for over 30 years and am very familiar with how this works, you have a poor understanding. 

If you look in the FAQ of the website you posted you will see the quote "CDC does not have immunization record information. You must contact your provider, or local or state immunization program."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/resources-refs/faq.html

Also, any individual has the option to "opt out" of state vaccine databases, so it is impossible to have a complete data set of any kind, when there is less than 100% participation (my office processes opt out paperwork every week for people not wanting to be included)

Also here are links from multiple other sites that state the same thing, there is NOT a national vaccine database, I have included sources from multiple types of sites so as to provide a non biased view of the exact same information.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/how-to-prove-vaccination-for-covid-19/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccination-cards-are-the-only-proof-of-shots-soon-an-essential-11617105602

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/05/america-covid-vaccine-honor-system/618891/

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

That doesn’t say anything about a national database. It says that providers must follow CDC guidelines, report dosage information to CDC for their stats, and keep their personal medical records up to date (nothing about reporting that back to CDC). 

Exactly Marco, that is because we do not report back to the CDC. IF @Medic5emthad simply clicked on the link that says "how to find your vaccine records" he would have noticed that the CDC website simply redirects you to your state's Department of Health website, and the STATE database. 

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Also, any individual has the option to "opt out" of state vaccine databases, so it is impossible to have a complete data set of any kind, when there is less than 100% participation (my office processes opt out paperwork every week for people not wanting to be included)

Texas is opt in. Making it even less likely to collect data. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have been practicing medicine for over 30 years and am very familiar with how this works, you have a poor understanding. 

If you look in the FAQ of the website you posted you will see the quote "CDC does not have immunization record information. You must contact your provider, or local or state immunization program."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/resources-refs/faq.html

Also here are links from multiple other sites that state the same thing, there is NOT a national vaccine database, I have included sources from multiple types of sites so as to provide a non biased view of the exact same information.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/how-to-prove-vaccination-for-covid-19/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccination-cards-are-the-only-proof-of-shots-soon-an-essential-11617105602

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/05/america-covid-vaccine-honor-system/618891/

None of this changes my point, and I never said the CDC "keeps" the info. I stated there is a system in place that helps people and the Medical community access the information. I explained how some folks can access it (not exclusively get to it)The information is useful for those that do not know about it in my OP. As far as OPT out. People that know about yes its nice, or the provider educates them fine what ever. All the providers in my area use it " as stated earlier" and my PCP even seen my dates of vaccination. CVS even added my Shingles vaccine to the system. It looks like Ohio is on top of things again.

1 hour ago, Medic5emt said:

None of this changes my point, and I never said the CDC "keeps" the info. I stated there is a system in place that helps people and the Medical community access the information. I explained how some folks can access it (not exclusively get to it)The information is useful for those that do not know about it in my OP. As far as OPT out. People that know about yes its nice, or the provider educates them fine what ever. All the providers in my area use it " as stated earlier" and my PCP even seen my dates of vaccination. CVS even added my Shingles vaccine to the system. It looks like Ohio is on top of things again.

You responded to my statement that “there is no national database” with a link to the CDC IIS website, as if to rebut my statement, and infer that there is a national database. 

There is not. 

I sent an inquiry to Bayley's office on Thursday and just received the response.  I also asked about booster shots.

"After reviewing your correspondence with our Port Operations team, they advised they recently deployed a new feature in the Guest Check-in App to include a Vaccination Submission Status. So now, the status “We are validating your card" is the normal new status you’ll see once you enter your vaccine record during Online Check-in. Once submitted, it then takes us 24 to 48 hours to approve since we are manually checking the validity of each card."

"Additionally, we understand your concerns regarding the vaccine booster shot. Currently, we are not requiring vaccine boosters to board our ships. However, we do require the last dose of your vaccination (whether 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson) to be administered 14 days prior to the start of your cruise. Please note, this advisement is for select sailings departing in 2021, this requirement subject to change for sailings departing in 2022 and beyond. Rest assured; we will communicate with you if there are any changes to our sailing requirements prior to you boarding your cruise."

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You responded to my statement that “there is no national database” with a link to the CDC IIS website, as if to rebut my statement, and infer that there is a national database. 

There is not. 

Potato Potato. Vaccine Registry Vaccine Data base. Really? It DOES NOT change the original point on how PCP or a patient can get the information. I know exactly what I linked and I did read the intent and purpose of its  creation. This is my last response. If your this dense to not get the point or help folks understand whats out in the world. You never will.

53 minutes ago, Medic5emt said:

Potato Potato. Vaccine Registry Vaccine Data base. Really? It DOES NOT change the original point on how PCP or a patient can get the information. I know exactly what I linked and I did read the intent and purpose of its  creation. This is my last response. If your this dense to not get the point or help folks understand whats out in the world. You never will.

WOW, just can't admit when you are wrong.

There is NO NATIONAL DATABASE OR NATIONAL REGISTRY.

Doesn't matter what you call it, it DOES NOT exist.

• Like 1

I just checked in on the app for our December cruise. When I did my check in I was prompted to take a photo of my vaccination record, however, when i did my husband's check-in it did not ask me for the vaccination info. Not sure what to do as it has given us both boarding passes(where it clearly shows we will have to answer health questions the day prior to departure). It also says testing requirements are pending. Suggestions? Obviously we will bring the vax cards with us

49 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

I just checked in on the app for our December cruise. When I did my check in I was prompted to take a photo of my vaccination record, however, when i did my husband's check-in it did not ask me for the vaccination info. Not sure what to do as it has given us both boarding passes(where it clearly shows we will have to answer health questions the day prior to departure). It also says testing requirements are pending. Suggestions? Obviously we will bring the vax cards with us

Testing requirements are pending because they haven't announced the December protocols yet.  They will be no different that the current ones.   If you have a setsail pass issued, that's all I would worry about.  Show up with the pass, the vaccine cards, valid covid test, and passport.  If they say you don't have the card images uploaded tell them the truth - that option wasn't there for your husband's check in.  They can do it at the pier like they were doing previously.

• Like 1