Shuttle? Brooklyn Cruise Port - Best Airport to Fly Out Of?

K_e_short

Trying to look at best flight options when we debark from our transatlantic next summer.

We have the option of flying out of all three airport but I'm unsure which would be best in terms of getting from port to airport.

I can't find any information about Cunard offereing a shuttle service.

I'd love to hear what is the best airport to fly out of based on price and ease of transportation.

Thank you

I can't really compare the different airports from personal experience since we always fly out of LGA after a QM2 crossing. That's the airport that works the best for our specific flight requirements. I can help with some information about Cunard airport transfers from Brooklyn though.

Cunard does offer coach transfers to all three of the main airports. It's not surprising that you couldn't find anything about those since they seem to keep that information very well hidden. Here is what I'm seeing for the current prices Cunard is charging for post-voyage airport coach transfers from Brooklyn next summer.

Port to LGA: $50 per person

Port to EWR: $60 per person

Port to JFK: $60 per person

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I can't really compare the different airports from personal experience since we always fly out of LGA after a QM2 crossing. That's the airport that works the best for our specific flight requirements. I can help with some information about Cunard airport transfers from Brooklyn though.

Cunard does offer coach transfers to all three of the main airports. It's not surprising that you couldn't find anything about those since they seem to keep that information very well hidden. Here is what I'm seeing for the current prices Cunard is charging for post-voyage airport coach transfers from Brooklyn next summer.

Port to LGA: $50 per person

Port to EWR: $60 per person

Port to JFK: $60 per person

Thank you for posting that information regarding costs.

Can I ask what time you get off the ship and when you arrive at LGA?

Once again I can't find when the ship docks and when people start getting off the ship.

There's not an appreciable difference between the three. Most important would probably be the airline you prefer and that will largely drive the airport decision. (UA/LH=EWR, AA/BA & DL/VS=JFK...) Also LGA has a limit on the distance for flights to land there.

That said, the closest is LGA, the furthest EWR, with JFK in the middle, but of course, traffic can be a factor. All three have traditionally been pretty dismal, but LGA's remodel must be pretty complete by now and I know EWR has had work done. But still, none will rate as anybody's favorite. I think their on-tine rates are about the same.

Locals, please feel free to correct me, but a decent driver could probably get to LGA in 20 minutes with good traffic, closer to 30 for JFK, and probably 40 minutes or so to EWR. And, of course, bad traffic could double it. For the shuttle bus I would assume about an hour or so.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

As far as timing, from what I remember
- The ship would dock by 7:00
- Self-disembarkation starts around 8:30 - 9:00
- Busses, tours, and early disembark starts around 9:00
- They don't recommend any flights before 1:00 PM

Of course, this was before COVID. Things could be different. (and my memory may be off a bit)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Thank you for posting that information regarding costs.

Can I ask what time you get off the ship and when you arrive at LGA?

Once again I can't find when the ship docks and when people start getting off the ship.

The ship typically docks in Brooklyn about 6:30am.

A "New York Landing Arrangements" form and a "Brooklyn, NY Transfer Booking Form" I have from July 2019 indicates the following anticipated timings for disembarking in Brooklyn.

6:45am = Self Help

8:10am = Queens Grill (Q1-Q4)

8:15am = Queens Grill (Q5-Q7)

8:15am = Diamond Cunard World Club 

8:15am = Cunard coach transfers to LGA, EWR and JFK airports

8:30am = Cunard coach transfer to Grand Central/Penn Station

9:00am = Princess Grill

9:45am = Deck 13

10:00am = Deck 12

10:15am = Deck 11

10:30am = Deck 8

10:45am = Deck 6

11:00am = Deck 5

11:15am = Deck 4

One variable is how long it takes to get through US Customs and Border Protection once off the ship. That has varied widely for us from one voyage to the next (best case about 10 minutes, worst case over an hour). That's less of an issue if you'd like to do self help disembarkation (take all your bags off yourself in one go) in order to be among the first off the ship.

When we have used the Cunard coach transfers to LGA we have usually arrived at the airport about 11:00 or 11:30am. I usually schedule our return flights for 2:00pm departure to give us plenty of leeway.

As @MarkBearSF has indicated, this is all pre-COVID though. Hard knowing how this might be impacted if any COVID protocols come into play for disembarking in Brooklyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

As far as timing, from what I remember
- The ship would dock by 7:00
- Self-disembarkation starts around 8:30 - 9:00
- Busses, tours, and early disembark starts around 9:00
- They don't recommend any flights before 1:00 PM

Of course, this was before COVID. Things could be different. (and my memory may be off a bit)

No flights before 1pm. O.k that is good information.

I'm used to Carnival where if you go to their shuttle page they tell you the earlier you can fly out/latest you can fly in. 

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The ship typically docks in Brooklyn about 6:30am.

A "New York Landing Arrangements" form and a "Brooklyn, NY Transfer Booking Form" I have from July 2019 indicates the following anticipated timings for disembarking in Brooklyn.

6:45am = Self Help

8:10am = Queens Grill (Q1-Q4)

8:15am = Queens Grill (Q5-Q7)

8:15am = Diamond Cunard World Club 

8:15am = Cunard coach transfers to LGA, EWR and JFK airports

8:30am = Cunard coach transfer to Grand Central/Penn Station

9:00am = Princess Grill

9:45am = Deck 13

10:00am = Deck 12

10:15am = Deck 11

10:30am = Deck 8

10:45am = Deck 6

11:00am = Deck 5

11:15am = Deck 4

One variable is how long it takes to get through US Customs and Border Protection once off the ship. That has varied widely for us from one voyage to the next (best case about 10 minutes, worst case over an hour). That's less of an issue if you'd like to do self help disembarkation (take all your bags off yourself in one go) in order to be among the first off the ship.

When we have used the Cunard coach transfers to LGA we have usually arrived at the airport about 11:00 or 11:30am. I usually schedule our return flights for 2:00pm departure to give us plenty of leeway.

As @MarkBearSF has indicated, this is all pre-COVID though. Hard knowing how this might be impacted if any COVID protocols come into play for disembarking in Brooklyn.

Ah o.k so depending on whether I book through Cunard I'm either getting off at 815am or 10:45am.

My TA suggested flights through Newark that doesn't leave until 8pm so trying to see if there are better flights to another airport earlier.

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Ah o.k so depending on whether I book through Cunard I'm either getting off at 815am or 10:45am.

My TA suggested flights through Newark that doesn't leave until 8pm so trying to see if there are better flights to another airport earlier.

In close to ten  arrivals at Bklyn, we have only gotten off the ship before 9:30 one time.  LGA is easiest/cheapest airport to reach, then JFK, then EWR.

Is 8:00 PM flight from EWR really the earliest available to Ottawa?

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In close to ten  arrivals at Bklyn, we have only gotten off the ship before 9:30 one time.  LGA is easiest/cheapest airport to reach, then JFK, then EWR.

Is 8:00 PM flight from EWR really the earliest available to Ottawa?

That is the question I am asking my TA when she returns on Monday.

It's the only direct flight from EWR but I don't know if there are direct flights and/or earlier flights from the other two airports. She did give me a 3pm option from EWR with a connection.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

That is the question I am asking my TA when she returns on Monday.

It's the only direct flight from EWR but I don't know if there are direct flights and/or earlier flights from the other two airports. She did give me a 3pm option from EWR with a connection.

It might be the only direct flight - but , while a direct flight is always preferable, getting home 6 or so hours earlier (and not having to kill 8 hours or so between Brooklyn and Newark while toting luggage) might be worth the trade-off .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It might be the only direct flight - but , while a direct flight is always preferable, getting home 6 or so hours earlier (and not having to kill 8 hours or so between Brooklyn and Newark while toting luggage) might be worth the trade-off .

Exactly.

I am going to wait to get more information from her on Monday, but if the airports are the same distance from the port, and cost about the same to get to from the port, I'd rather fly out of Leguardia, with a connection, and get home earlier.

I am flying with Air Canada (have loyalty points, access to the Maple Leaf Lounge, free luggage, etc).

Awesome. Thank you for the great information.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:55 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The particular airline rarely matters as much as the convenience of the flight.

I use ITA matrix to search flights. You can get info on just about all flights, apart from Southwest. You have to use a ticketing site once you've settled on a flight as they can't issue tickets.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, K_e_short said:

Exactly.

I am going to wait to get more information from her on Monday, but if the airports are the same distance from the port, and cost about the same to get to from the port, I'd rather fly out of Leguardia, with a connection, and get home earlier.

I am flying with Air Canada (have loyalty points, access to the Maple Leaf Lounge, free luggage, etc).

Awesome. Thank you for the great information.

We have flown home from Newark and LaGuardia and always book a mid-afternoon flight to give us some leeway in case of delays. The last time we let the Red Hook staff arrange our luggage on the pier they made a mess of it, misplacing the luggage of several people as well as ours. We had to stand around for three-quarters of an hour until the fences were removed to allow us to search for it in other areas. Fortunately the airport buses waited whilst we sorted out this mess.

The Canadian airlines (Air Canada, Westjet and Porter) allow a free change to an earlier flight from the New York airports in both J and Y classes. When we last checked in early we didn't even ask. The agent said: Would you like to fly in an hour?

• Like 1

FYI - In our experience, we have been able to get off the ship with the first group with a request to the Tour Office, which handles the tags. All it took was telling them that we had an early flight. On at least one occasion we were in a (not very) obstructed view balcony cabin, so our scheduled time was much later. (I don't believe they publicize this, but they have been very understanding)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

FYI - In our experience, we have been able to get off the ship with the first group with a request to the Tour Office, which handles the tags. All it took was telling them that we had an early flight. On at least one occasion we were in a (not very) obstructed view balcony cabin, so our scheduled time was much later. (I don't believe they publicize this, but they have been very understanding)

Are you talking about self-debarkation?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

You CAN do that. But also for the first group that is not self-debark - along with the first shuttle busses.

I suspect that while a few special requests based upon “early flights” might be granted, I think it would not work if a lot of low priority people tried to talk their way into early debarkation —— so it might be wise to not talk about it and give so many deck 4 and deck 5 late debarkers the idea so they would screw it up for you.

• Like 1