Prorating drink package

Terpsfan1

I don't know about 11 day, but the pro rating only saves you a lot of the pre-cruise price is high. 

For example a 7 day pre-cruise price of 50 is 350 for the week. The on board price is 85 - if you purchase on day 4 that's 340. So you save $10 but have 3 days with no drinks because if you buy one drink the pro-rating cost more. 

Now if it doesn't go below 60 that's 420. So you'd save $80 if you buy on day 4. But only if you don't purchase drinks the first 3 days. If you buy the package on board on day 3 you lost money over pre purchasing at 60.

At 65 it's $115 savings if you buy day 4 and $30 if you buy day 3. Only if you buy no drinks before then. 

• Like 1

Good point. If I would buy the whole week for me. The issue is having to buy it for my better half who is a light drinker. She might just drink 2-3 drinks even on a sea day.  I was thinking if I could buy just the last 2 days which are Coco and a sea day I would just do it. 

It's not "pro-rating" as you seem to be thinking of it.

The package has a PER DAY cost.  So you pay for the days you buy.

If you purchase before your cruise, and it's a 7 night cruise, you pay 7 x the per day price.

If you purchase on Day 2 of that 7 night cruise, it's 6 x the per day price.

Yes, you pay less money if you buy after the first day, but you are getting fewer days.  You aren't "saving" money, unless you don't want to drink the first day.

38 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Good point. If I would buy the whole week for me. The issue is having to buy it for my better half who is a light drinker. She might just drink 2-3 drinks even on a sea day.  I was thinking if I could buy just the last 2 days which are Coco and a sea day I would just do it. 

Just call them to buy the deluxe for you and refreshment for her. They will do this with no issues 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Terpsfan1 said:

What is a drink card?  Not familiar with that at all...

You buy the card and it’s as if you have a 10 drink drink package - same drink limits as deluxe . Not advertised much and have not seen it available since the restart - you need to ask for it, if available at all. 

8 hours ago, coaster said:

Drink card is the way to go if offered. They often did it at the midway point of a cruise. It was offered on my last 3 or 4 cruises prior to Covid. $50 for 10 beers and $100 for 10 liquor beverages.

That seems perfect for me. I will check with RC and see if they are still offering it. Sounds like a good Christmas present!

21 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I don't know about 11 day, but the pro rating only saves you a lot of the pre-cruise price is high. 

For example a 7 day pre-cruise price of 50 is 350 for the week. The on board price is 85 - if you purchase on day 4 that's 340. So you save $10 but have 3 days with no drinks because if you buy one drink the pro-rating cost more. 

Now if it doesn't go below 60 that's 420. So you'd save $80 if you buy on day 4. But only if you don't purchase drinks the first 3 days. If you buy the package on board on day 3 you lost money over pre purchasing at 60.

At 65 it's $115 savings if you buy day 4 and $30 if you buy day 3. Only if you buy no drinks before then. 

Excellent points.