Mexican riviera: safe to drink the water?

Cruzmama

14 minutes ago, Cruzmama said:

When you get off in Cabo, Mazatlan, or PV, is it safe to order a pina colada or something with ice cubes at a local bar?

We have gone to Puerto Vallarta twice on cruises besides traveling there a number of years during the winter for 2+ weeks at a time.  We drink tap water with no problems since PV upgraded their water system a number of years ago.  Never heard of anyone getting sick in our unit in PV from the water.  Can't answer for Cabo or Mazatlan.

We have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 16 winters and eat and drink out every day.  So let me carefully respond to your good question.  If you are going to a typical bar or restaurant in the major tourist areas you can assume that they use bottled water and purified ice.  If in doubt you can ask.  In Puerto Vallarta we simply do not even concern ourself since we have good reason to trust all the bars and restaurants we visit.  That being said, I do not recommend drinking tap water (even though it is often quite safe) and the norm in Mexico is to drink bottled water.  It is sold everywhere and the cost for a cold bottle of water is generally in the 10-20 peso range (50 cents to a dollar).   I will admit that we do drink the tap water in our Condo, but our building has its own filtration system and our water is tested quarterly.  But we do have a large water bottle on our kitchen counter that is what we use whenever we have guests.

I do think one should use a little common sense in Mexico, especially in areas where you are not familiar with the various vendors.  While we have no hesitation eating food of any kind (including salads) in restaurants/cafes we are a little more cautious with street vendors.  While we do not hesitate buying cooked food from the street vendors we are careful if getting something that also has raw veggies.  I would also hesitate to buy things like raw oysters on the beach unless you are a friend is very comfortable with the vendor.  But when it comes to raw oysters I guess this is a good rule anywhere including in the USA.

Hank

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes of course use common sense. Don't drink out of a garden hose ;). I personally wouldn't eat from a street vendor.

That is an issue where DW and I are somewhat at odds :).  I have no problem with many of our street food vendors in PV (nor do many others) but DW has a personal rule that she avoids food places that lack running water :).  Another problem is that there are very limited eating areas with these vendors which usually mean a plastic chair along a public sidewalk.  On the other hand there is an ole guy in Puerto Vallarta who makes amazing churros (in the evening) which DW will eat (and love every bite).  So there are exceptions to every rule.

There is a small local PV Tour provider who runs food tours that include some street vendors.  His tours are quite popular (even some cruisers have been known to find their way to his tours) but he is choosy about his street vendors.  When I want fresh orange juice in the morning I will stop at a street vendor who quickly makes the juice (with a manual squeezer).  Hard to get it fresher.  We also have some street vendors who make amazing tacos including al pastor (Puerto Vallarta is known for its al pastor).  But we are talking about the difference between a cruise visitor vs folks that live in a cruise town and know where to go.  I do not ever recommend street vendors to cruisers since I do not want to have any responsibility if they happen to get sick.  But there are quite a few vendors where I would have no problem gulping down a lot of their offerings.   The only personal dilemma I have is our well known beach vendor group that offers platters of fresh raw oysters (to which they add some decent hot sauce).  These oysters are popular on Los Muertos beach (where we spend most of the winter) and I happen to love fresh oysters.  But the cost of a bad oyster can be a few days of misery so I lick my lips and let the beach vendor sell to the next person (who is wiser then me).

Hank

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That is an issue where DW and I are somewhat at odds :).  I have no problem with many of our street food vendors in PV (nor do many others) but DW has a personal rule that she avoids food places that lack running water :).  Another problem is that there are very limited eating areas with these vendors which usually mean a plastic chair along a public sidewalk.  On the other hand there is an ole guy in Puerto Vallarta who makes amazing churros (in the evening) which DW will eat (and love every bite).  So there are exceptions to every rule.

There is a small local PV Tour provider who runs food tours that include some street vendors.  His tours are quite popular (even some cruisers have been known to find their way to his tours) but he is choosy about his street vendors.  When I want fresh orange juice in the morning I will stop at a street vendor who quickly makes the juice (with a manual squeezer).  Hard to get it fresher.  We also have some street vendors who make amazing tacos including al pastor (Puerto Vallarta is known for its al pastor).  But we are talking about the difference between a cruise visitor vs folks that live in a cruise town and know where to go.  I do not ever recommend street vendors to cruisers since I do not want to have any responsibility if they happen to get sick.  But there are quite a few vendors where I would have no problem gulping down a lot of their offerings.   The only personal dilemma I have is our well known beach vendor group that offers platters of fresh raw oysters (to which they add some decent hot sauce).  These oysters are popular on Los Muertos beach (where we spend most of the winter) and I happen to love fresh oysters.  But the cost of a bad oyster can be a few days of misery so I lick my lips and let the beach vendor sell to the next person (who is wiser then me).

Hank

The food tour sound like fun.  That said, I bet it would involve corn products which I can’t eat no matter what is done with it. I don’t like the idea of someone not having running water.  I mean you are handling money, then touching food.  I just can’t.  I’ve got a pretty strong stomach.  I’m more worried about covid than anything.

Although Hank  & his DW live in PV ,in  general ,we will not use any thing that is not from a sealed bottle . There are  things in Mexican  water that don't bother Mexican nationals but will give others Montezuma  Revenge . 

There are hotels .restaurants that have a filtration system  BUT always ask .Getting sick in Mexico is No fun  .We have been there numerous times & 30 years ago our youngest daughter was married  on hotel Steps over looking the Pacific  .At that time Lajolla Des Maloya Hotel was run by Americans & had a filtration system for safe water   .  In Mazatlan we enjoy their less costly than ship beer   in the shops at the pier where we shop . Cabo around the inner harbor restaurants is safe for mixed drinks --just ask if they have a filtration system   .Been there over 30 times 

Just prior to covid we spent seven weeks doing independent travel in Mexico.  We have been multiple times in the past. Yucatan and up the Pacific coast.

We always buy bottled water.  I tend to prefer cerveca negra , fresh OJ, or G&T.  We will do ice in the resorts and many place in PVR but seldom elsewhere.  .   It may be fine.  For us buying a bottle of water is a safe alternative.   As in Asia, when you do buy water from a street vendor check that the seal on the cap is in order.

Street food.  Never had it in Mexico thought we have certainly eaten in many small family run Mexican restaurants.   No problems. Next visit perhaps.

We have spent 6 winters in Thailand/Vietnam, Malaysia.  We always eat street food there, most often at night markets.  It is wonderful and half the pleasure is going around the stalls.   Never once been sick or any of the other the common side effects.  Perhaps we have strong constitutions.  We did pass on the grilled bugs thought...cockroaches and various others that we could not readily identify!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Although Hank  & his DW live in PV ,in  general ,we will not use any thing that is not from a sealed bottle . There are  things in Mexican  water that don't bother Mexican nationals but will give others Montezuma  Revenge . 

There are hotels .restaurants that have a filtration system  BUT always ask .Getting sick in Mexico is No fun  .We have been there numerous times & 30 years ago our youngest daughter was married  on hotel Steps over looking the Pacific  .At that time Lajolla Des Maloya Hotel was run by Americans & had a filtration system for safe water   .  In Mazatlan we enjoy their less costly than ship beer   in the shops at the pier where we shop . Cabo around the inner harbor restaurants is safe for mixed drinks --just ask if they have a filtration system   .Been there over 30 times 

Ok, I will share a secret that our recently retired family physician would accuse us (DW and me) of having built up immunity to many of the Mexican bugs.  He insisted that everyone who goes to Mexico gets Montezuma's  revenge.  But I should not generalize since most of my Mexican experience is in Puerto Vallarta where DW and I have spent more then a year of our lives in happy bliss.  We eat out nearly every night (we are talking over 70 times a year) and have had fewer health issues then here in the States.  One time, over ten years ago, we both got a nasty case of food poisoning and it happened in a very high end restaurant with some bad imported Sea Bass!  The lesson was that we should stick to the usual Red Snapper and Mahi Mahi and a few other seafood delights that are local/regional and fresh.

In PV we do not recall going to any restaurant that does not use bottled water and pure ice (generally bought from a local ice company).  Even one of our favorite taco joints (where we can enjoy dinner for less than $15 for two) uses bottled water!  I will also admit that I have been sick a few times but that was obviously from too many margaritas :).  In PV we think the biggest danger is drinking too much booze,  falling off a sidewalk, and being run over by a bus!  Funny you mention Thailand because when asked, "what would you do if Mexico became too dangerous because of the cartels?" my answer has usually been, "spend our winters in Thailand."

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

Another issue   that most  cruisers are unaware of is the renting a car in Mexico can be dangerous if you get into a accident , even if it is not your fault . In Mexico they use Napolionic   Laws ;which simply means you are guilty until proven innocent .We with our daughter ,son -in law & grand children were in their rental car driving through PV when a bus hit the rental car  in the rear ,Unless some one admitted fault ,they impound both vehicles & you must appear in a Mexican court  .Here we are on a cruise ship .My son in law was able to get the rental car manager there & he spoke with the Mexican cop & bus driver .The whole day waisted & at the end the bus driver admitted fault . It was in October very hot & very humid weather .   This happened like 20 years ago but buyer be ware especially in Mexico   .also my daughter paid the cpp then $22 US dollars for paper work / Graft 

I will not rent cars ant where ;as even the rental contracts are all sided with the rental companies  ,Read the contracts & you will then understand 

We have had great times in Mexico if you are aware of their laws & what not to eat or drink   .  We have been there well over 30 trips & we have been to every cruise ship Mexican port many times over  including Acapulco, Extapa , Hultaco  PV ,Mazatlan   , Cabo San Lucas ^ San Jose Del Cabo ,plust the 2 ports up the Sea of Cortez  ,La Paz  &  Loreto 

Edited by mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, lstrong said:

My cousins who were born and raised in Mexico used to get sick when they came to the USA. I think it’s what your body is used to more than anything

My thoughts exactly!  Your body hasn't had a chance to acclimate to the local bacteria when you are just visiting for a few hours.  IMHO a cocktail is not worth being totally out of commission for a couple of days.

13 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The food tour sound like fun.  That said, I bet it would involve corn products which I can’t eat no matter what is done with it. I don’t like the idea of someone not having running water.  I mean you are handling money, then touching food.  I just can’t.  I’ve got a pretty strong stomach.  I’m more worried about covid than anything.

Corn products can generally be avoided in PV but it does require some degree of caution.  The folks that run the food tour (link below) should be able to handle that problem with some easy substitutions.  You would certainly want to avoid tamales and anything that uses corn taco shells.  At PV taco places it is pretty common to offer a choice between corn and flour (DW and I generally prefer flour).   But if you happen to be coming to PV and are interested you can simply send an e-mail to this tour provider and ask if they can accommodate your dietary restriction.   Here is the link:

Puerto Vallarta Cultural Walking Food Tours - Best Things To Do In Puerto Vallarta (vallartafoodtours.com)

Hank

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Corn products can generally be avoided in PV but it does require some degree of caution.  The folks that run the food tour (link below) should be able to handle that problem with some easy substitutions.  You would certainly want to avoid tamales and anything that uses corn taco shells.  At PV taco places it is pretty common to offer a choice between corn and flour (DW and I generally prefer flour).   But if you happen to be coming to PV and are interested you can simply send an e-mail to this tour provider and ask if they can accommodate your dietary restriction.   Here is the link:

Puerto Vallarta Cultural Walking Food Tours - Best Things To Do In Puerto Vallarta (vallartafoodtours.com)

Hank

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate it.