Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

Wednesday, December 1, 2021:

Great day, great weather. Every person on board is happy.  I have a new appreciation for the Horizon Lounge. Early morning coffee and danish with that view is kind of nice.

Also, the Haven Library is a secret hide away.   Our excursion today was very nice. It was a kind of spiritual spa treatment. Very relaxing.

The BBQ ribs in the Haven for lunch was great however, we all loved the Carrot cake the best. The rest of today was spent with a cigar in the Humidor Room, hot tub on the Haven Sundeck. 

The most incredible experience of this lovely day was the sail away from our balcony with my family.  Wow, it was spectacular.

Tonight some French food and a show.  

Cruise Well Everyone.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Bravo on the Burgers, Hot Dog and Chicken Wings.  Very much a surprise. 

I like the excursion but did not like Roatan.  I would stay on the ship for this port but not everyone agrees with me.  Just me.

Food and Dining: I had a GREAT steak and eggs breakfast at the Haven.  OK, here is the answer to one of the many questions I have been asked.  "Can you get a Filet with your eggs in the morning for breakfast?"  The Answer is yes, however you have to give them one day notice.  The food on the island was just ok and expensive.  

Catching up on this post as we leave this Sunday for our very first ever Haven experience. That first item got me thinking of something. I know there's been mention you can get things to the room in the Haven, would that include the chicken wings from the pub on board?

As for Roatan, the only excursion we ever do there is Maya Key. It's the little island right across from the pier. It's about as chill a day as you get, pier that you can snorkel off of, little beach, and a nature preserve where you can walk around and see the different animals they have there. Last time we went while walking through the paths we came across a group of leaf ants doing their thing going from one area of the forest to the other, was quite cool to stop and watch for a little while. Wish I had a good camera so I could have gotten some pictures of it.

For the filet do you just ask at breakfast the day before and say you'd like filet tomorrow? Was that an upcharge?

Also did you ever get to find out about the specialty coffees?

Thanks for all the updates, hope the trip continues to go great.

5 hours ago, Pieson said:

On the Joy in the haven. And I now fully understand why people say you can’t go back. This has been such an incredible experience and so far above and beyond anything I’ve ever been experienced.  

major thanks to you Gary as I read everything you wrote extensively heading into this cruise and it has made a world of difference. I feel my brother and I have truly taken full advantage  of all the haven has to offer… having a room in the courtyard itself is also a Huge plus.  

the staff has been nothing short of amazing. Armando and lyster and Luis at the concierge has been the big surprise… using them way more than we expected. 

Rodnie at the haven bar is the best I’ve encountered at sea and amongst the vets I’ve ever encountered ever.  He has made it such a fun experience and knows his mixology well. 

We’ve ended up spending our entire time in the haven it feels like. 
Our fellow guest in the haven have been a blast. Everyone has been  on the same page and building a great atmosphere.  

I’m not sure if ever formally met yet. But thank you again for the help as the Hanson brothers have been having the time of their life ! 

For both you and Gary, does the Haven feel overly crowded?  I know the Joy has the most Haven-eligible cabins (by a good amount), someone on the face place said last week it was always way overcrowded. But that was Thanksgiving week, so it may not be a good judge of “normal.”   Any thoughts on that overall?   Glad you’re both enjoying!!   Thanks!

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Wednesday, December 1, 2021:

Great day, great weather. Every person on board is happy.  I have a new appreciation for the Horizon Lounge. Early morning coffee and danish with that view is kind of nice.

Also, the Haven Library is a secret hide away.   Our excursion today was very nice. It was a kind of spiritual spa treatment. Very relaxing.

The BBQ ribs in the Haven for lunch was great however, we all loved the Carrot cake the best. The rest of today was spent with a cigar in the Humidor Room, hot tub on the Haven Sundeck. 

The most incredible experience of this lovely day was the sail away from our balcony with my family.  Wow, it was spectacular.

Tonight some French food and a show.  

Cruise Well Everyone.

So glad to hear the carrot cake is still up to snuff!  All in all sounds like a lovely cruise.  Only six months until Getaway for us.  PM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psac said:

For both you and Gary, does the Haven feel overly crowded?  I know the Joy has the most Haven-eligible cabins (by a good amount), someone on the face place said last week it was always way overcrowded. But that was Thanksgiving week, so it may not be a good judge of “normal.”   Any thoughts on that overall?   Glad you’re both enjoying!!   Thanks!

Not over crowded at all, yet Haven sold out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Not over crowded at all, yet Haven sold out. 

Sorry to back track on topic - but did you have to carry your luggage with you while you get tested?  Usually NCL took our luggage right at curbside for loading onto the ship but since it's possible someone might not be able to board, how is this process being handled now? 

Edited by kitty-sail

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

Sorry to back track on topic - but did you have to carry your luggage with you while you get tested?  Usually NCL took our luggage right at curbside for loading onto the ship but since it's possible someone might not be able to board, how is this process being handled now? 

Your luggage is taken outside terminal just like always. You then walk in to be tested.  When you pass, you go through security to check in.

Cruise Well

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psac said:

as mentioned, the haven is sold out either way. Only thing I can think of is more families packed into the rooms.  But it’s felt lovely without ever feeling overly crowded or overly busy.
Even with the ship being only half full the haven has been a wonderful escape from the crowds. 

I quickly realized how much better the haven spaces are and as a result we’ve spent most of our time there. It’s also the same crowds and groups in there so a wonderful Camaraderie  has built up between guest. It’s honestly the perfect amount of people.  And as mentioned if you want true quiet and escape the library is perfect for that and even the prison lounge.  

Also I can’t emphasize enough how far superior the Haven restaurant is. We have a voucher for La couch is still and we may opt to not use it in favor of the haven. 
Ive done three Disney cruises in the last couple months and I always held them to the best in the entire industry when it came to food til I ate at the haven.  Again never overly crowded.  Always the perfect amount of people and energy. 

Finally for the best news of the day! 
Today is the first day the crew has been able to get off the ship in months… for some ever over a year.  It’s a huge day for them and you can feel their excitement and energy.  I hope everyone realizes the huge commitment this amazing staff has made to help make your vacation dream a reality. It’s amazing to hear how much they missed it and truly are committed to it.  Speaks volumes of the people working on board. I encourage everyone to be extra appreciative and supportive of the crew. We started our day off hanging with a bunch of the crew before our excursion off shore.  They truly are a special bunch. 
feel free to also show appreciation. Inside thought to that. The tip on on receipts you sign goes to a general tip pool.  They only get to keep the physical cash you hand to the directly (which is also super appreciated for how long they have all been out of work)

Pardon  the long ramble. But wanted to share some of my insight so far as it’s coming to Mind.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Pre-cruise, did you ever receive tags for Haven?  I have seen several threads about a welcome letter and tags in the mail but I am 31 days out and we have not received anything.  

Please share your thoughts about this too - we are in aft haven penthouse 10312 - should we consider upgrading to either 2 bedroom haven or owner's suite (not the H2 - I think it's H3).  My only real concern is that we are not going to be "in" the haven area and will have to travel across the ship?  Worth staying AFT for the views - just want to experience as much as possible.  Wondered if forward facing balcony or aft facing was better.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, JennyLou97 said:

Pre-cruise, did you ever receive tags for Haven?  I have seen several threads about a welcome letter and tags in the mail but I am 31 days out and we have not received anything.  

Please share your thoughts about this too - we are in aft haven penthouse 10312 - should we consider upgrading to either 2 bedroom haven or owner's suite (not the H2 - I think it's H3).  My only real concern is that we are not going to be "in" the haven area and will have to travel across the ship?  Worth staying AFT for the views - just want to experience as much as possible.  Wondered if forward facing balcony or aft facing was better.

Thanks!

IMO, Aft is the best cabin on the ship. True, to have the Haven experience, it means a long walk but nothing beats sitting on the balcony having dinner, or sunset glass of wine, or breakfast coffee, or just some R&R. If you like lots of activity, then go inside, but if you like serenity, then aft.

Edited by kitty-sail
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, kitty-sail said:

IMO, Aft is the best cabin on the ship. True, to have the Haven experience, it means a long walk but nothing beats sitting on the balcony having dinner, or sunset glass of wine, or breakfast coffee, or just some R&R. If you like lots of activity, then go inside, but if you like serenity, then aft.

Thank you.  I was debating since our cabin is larger than the options we can upgrade to.  I think we will stay and take the walk or better yet, eat in our room.  It's just me and my son and we are going to be bougie all the way!  🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennyLou97 said:

Thank you.  I was debating since our cabin is larger than the options we can upgrade to.  I think we will stay and take the walk or better yet, eat in our room.  It's just me and my son and we are going to be bougie all the way!  🙂

We always had time to be in the Haven. Sit by the pool. Have a drink at the bar before and after dinner. Enjoyed the hot tub on the sun deck.  The aft cabin is quite roomy and the balcony & view is to die for. Having dinner on the balcony watching the sun set,  is ideal.  You won't regret your choice.

• Like 1

This is all great info - Thank you! We have a bid on the Haven for Dec 18 on the Joy - Hope it goes through = One question, If you are in the Haven, do you just skip the specialty restaurants? Or would you still recommend a 2 or 3 night package?

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyLou97 said:

Thanks!

I think I'm on the same cruise and will also be in a Haven room. For what it's worth, I haven't yet received a welcome letter or luggage tags or any sort of communication via post or email.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

We always had time to be in the Haven. Sit by the pool. Have a drink at the bar before and after dinner. Enjoyed the hot tub on the sun deck.  The aft cabin is quite roomy and the balcony & view is to die for. Having dinner on the balcony watching the sun set,  is ideal.  You won't regret your choice.

I agree completely. I’ve stayed in the Haven proper and in an aft Haven stateroom. The walk to the Haven is nothing when you have that amazing balcony.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

This is all great info - Thank you! We have a bid on the Haven for Dec 18 on the Joy - Hope it goes through = One question, If you are in the Haven, do you just skip the specialty restaurants? Or would you still recommend a 2 or 3 night package?

Edited by justhappy

1 hour ago, jeremybe said:

Thanks!

Take the two specialty dining that comes with your suite. It gives you a nice variety during the weekIt gives you a nice variety during the week

• Like 4

1 hour ago, justhappy said:

I agree completely. I’ve stayed in the Haven proper and in an aft Haven stateroom. The walk to the Haven is nothing when you have that amazing balcony.

I usually stay outside of Haven as I find inside too busy. I prefer the quiet of being outside and still enjoy all the benefits.

1 hour ago, rnfulk said:

I think I'm on the same cruise and will also be in a Haven room. For what it's worth, I haven't yet received a welcome letter or luggage tags or any sort of communication via post or email.

We are on the Breakaway 1/2/22 - maybe we can meet up.  🙂

Sthrngary!

you showed us the beautiful view from the balcony. you have been giving us these great reports during the course of the your trip ( except for your son - hope he is better now and enjoying the cruise to it's fullest ) 

BUT you keep talking about these tequilla shots ( not one shot -  but shots ) . We gotta see the shots MAN !!!!!  I read this thread from work!  I can't be the only one that's sayin' "man would be nice right about now" be it food , activity or a tequilla shot!!

So i propose : raise a shot to all of us so we can raise a shot to you! we also know you have the premier drink package so make yours a good one! take a pic. then just think about how many drinking buddies you just made!

and Like i said above - you said shots  -  so a pic your first and the last might be interesting! 

thanks for your insights and your posts you have made the week after thanksgiveing and returning to work much more bearable . cheers !

• Like 5

2 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

Sthrngary!

you showed us the beautiful view from the balcony. you have been giving us these great reports during the course of the your trip ( except for your son - hope he is better now and enjoying the cruise to it's fullest ) 

BUT you keep talking about these tequilla shots ( not one shot -  but shots ) . We gotta see the shots MAN !!!!!  I read this thread from work!  I can't be the only one that's sayin' "man would be nice right about now" be it food , activity or a tequilla shot!!

So i propose : raise a shot to all of us so we can raise a shot to you! we also know you have the premier drink package so make yours a good one! take a pic. then just think about how many drinking buddies you just made!

and Like i said above - you said shots  -  so a pic your first and the last might be interesting! 

thanks for your insights and your posts you have made the week after thanksgiveing and returning to work much more bearable . cheers !

I will do it and think you.  Tonight, I will do a shot for all my CruiseCritic buddies.  Tequila 1942, some epic Tequila for sure.  Thank you again.

• Like 5