Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My Monday posting will be late.  We took the Jolly Catamaran for snorkeling.  My son got sick and we had to go to the Ship Hospital.  He was short of breath.  He is fine.  What I want every single person to know is anyone can get hurt or sick on a ship.  If it happens, it is very expensive.  This little situation was $350.00.  THIS IS WHY YOU BUT CRUISE TRAVEL INSURANCE.  

This amount will be reimbursed to me when I get back home.  That simple. 

Now I am going to have way too many tequilas and eat at Ocean Blue.  I will write a review about today tomorrow.  

Cruise well everyone. 

Glad he is OK.

• Thanks 1

Glad your son is ok and hope it didn't ruin your day.

It's funny, I knew the ship had a  medical center yet I never really thought about them charging you.  Maybe I'm naive or just live too close to Disney.  

At Disney,  there's no charge to a guest if the need paramedics.  Even the ambulance ride to the hospital is free.  I should have realized not everywhere is Disney.   Especially after traveling 48 weeks a year for 20 years!

• Thanks 1

Glad your son is okay @Sthrngary.  In 2017, my wife had an issue with her BP and we went to the infirmary on the Escape.  It was $350 as well, but we submitted it to our health insurance when we got back.  It was covered as out of network charges for us (which still recouped us 80% of the bill).  If you don't have insurance (like we didn't) this is another way to recoup the costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SliderNc said:

Glad your son is okay @Sthrngary.  In 2017, my wife had an issue with her BP and we went to the infirmary on the Escape.  It was $350 as well, but we submitted it to our health insurance when we got back.  It was covered as out of network charges for us (which still recouped us 80% of the bill).  If you don't have insurance (like we didn't) this is another way to recoup the costs. 

Back in 2018 I had "an infection" (not viral...nothing you could catch).  This was on the Escape.  The diagnosis was 100% wrong, the doctor was awful (zero bedside manner) and I needed, I guess you'd say "a procedure".  My cost was $3500...all covered by my travel insurance.  For the record, although a quick google search would have informed the doctor the error of his ways...the treatment was correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary I'm glad your son is OK, but do you mind sharing what the diagnosis is?  I'm not trying to scare you, but when DH had covid it started with shortness of breath which went away for 3 days and then wham... full blown covid. Apparently that is pretty common. BTW: he tested negative when he had shortness of breath. It wasn't until day 5 he tested positive. 

• Like 1

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

@Sthrngary

Do you have a bathtub in your cabin?  I'm looking at a cabin on the Joy with a tub....and I want to find out if their tubs "are high" (hard to get into for a short person).

Thanks

We gave a large soaking tub. Normal tubs still are kind of high.

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Sthrngary I'm glad your son is OK, but do you mind sharing what the diagnosis is?  I'm not trying to scare you, but when DH had covid it started with shortness of breath which went away for 3 days and then wham... full blown covid. Apparently that is pretty common. BTW: he tested negative when he had shortness of breath. It wasn't until day 5 he tested positive. 

Anxiety, PCR test negative. Second one.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

The ship is docked at Costa Maya today.   

Could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the video is from the deck of one of the private cabanas you can rent on Harvest Caye.  We did this a few years ago and it was a wonderful way to spend the day.  A little spendy these days at $799, but if you get a Platinum discount, $50 off, and split it with another couple or two it becomes a little more wallet-friendly.  

Just now, a1betpr said:

Could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the video is from the deck of one of the private cabanas you can rent on Harvest Caye.  We did this a few years ago and it was a wonderful way to spend the day.  A little spendy these days at $799, but if you get a Platinum discount, $50 off, and split it with another couple or two it becomes a little more wallet-friendly.  

This at Harvest Caye, Beach Villa. Fantastic

• Like 1

Monday, November 29, 2021: Roatan

1. Food and Dining:  I will leave the food as saying, everything was great.  My favorite dining is the Haven Restaurant but everyone is different.  I find eating on the islands to be a waste of money and kind of bad. Same with the drinks on these islands.  The Food Republic was very nice and a fun experience.  Everyone should consider it if yo like Sushi.  I want to give a shout out to the "Local" restaurant.  Bravo on the Burgers, Hot Dog and Chicken Wings.  Very much a surprise. 
  2. Excursion: The Jolly Rodger-- My Son got sick and they let us off the boat.  He is fine but went to the hospital on the ship.  $350.00 later with yet another covid-19 test all was back to normal.  The Word for the Day is Cruise Travel Insurance.  I like the excursion but did not like Roatan.  I would stay on the ship for this port but not everyone agrees with me.  Just me.
  3. The Entertainment: The shows on NCL are GREAT.  The Comedians are funny and not dated.  Footloose was a cut above.  The Beatles were awesome.  Try not to miss a show. 

Tuesday, November 30, 2021: NCL Private Island

1. Food and Dining: I had a GREAT steak and eggs breakfast at the Haven.  OK, here is the answer to one of the many questions I have been asked.  "Can you get a Filet with your eggs in the morning for breakfast?"  The Answer is yes, however you have to give them one day notice.  The food on the island was just ok and expensive.  
  2. Excursion:  We did the Beach Villa which we will do very single time.  A slice of paradise.  My daughter said it was a 10 out of 10 and I agree.  I would completely pass on the food and if you want a glass of wine, you have to buy the whole bottle.  No food or beverage packages work on this island. I have a video I posted of the Villa above a few posts ago.
  3. Slot Tournament;  My wife won her heat.  She plays in the finals on Friday.  My daughter won a small jackpot and I lost all my money.   
  4. Entertainment:  We did not do anything after dinner except watch a movie in the suite.  We were all to tired. I recommend not missing the singer from "Britain Got Talent"  I should have been there. 
  • Like 6

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this live review!!  I leave on Saturday for my 7 days of Joy and cannot wait!  I plan to tip the bartender in the Haven on the first night and tell him to use top shelf liquor in my mom's drink...she thinks it's a waste to use good liquor unless your drinking it straight!  Even a martini she has them use the cheap stuff!  LOL  I don't have that problem!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Shayhooper said:

Knowing that you enjoy resort/beach experiences, the next time you are in Roatan, I would highly recommend Little French Key.  They offer an amazing all inclusive beach experience with some of the best snorkeling I've ever done.

The last time I was in Rotan, I did the over the water all inclusive bungalow. I believe it’s the same place. It was very nice.

Thank you so much for your comment.

Cruise Well

On the Joy in the haven. And I now fully understand why people say you can’t go back. This has been such an incredible experience and so far above and beyond anything I’ve ever been experienced.  

major thanks to you Gary as I read everything you wrote extensively heading into this cruise and it has made a world of difference. I feel my brother and I have truly taken full advantage  of all the haven has to offer… having a room in the courtyard itself is also a Huge plus.  

the staff has been nothing short of amazing. Armando and lyster and Luis at the concierge has been the big surprise… using them way more than we expected. 

Rodnie at the haven bar is the best I’ve encountered at sea and amongst the vets I’ve ever encountered ever.  He has made it such a fun experience and knows his mixology well. 

We’ve ended up spending our entire time in the haven it feels like. 
Our fellow guest in the haven have been a blast. Everyone has been  on the same page and building a great atmosphere.  

I’m not sure if ever formally met yet. But thank you again for the help as the Hanson brothers have been having the time of their life ! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pieson said:

On the Joy in the haven. And I now fully understand why people say you can’t go back. This has been such an incredible experience and so far above and beyond anything I’ve ever been experienced.  

major thanks to you Gary as I read everything you wrote extensively heading into this cruise and it has made a world of difference. I feel my brother and I have truly taken full advantage  of all the haven has to offer… having a room in the courtyard itself is also a Huge plus.  

the staff has been nothing short of amazing. Armando and lyster and Luis at the concierge has been the big surprise… using them way more than we expected. 

Rodnie at the haven bar is the best I’ve encountered at sea and amongst the vets I’ve ever encountered ever.  He has made it such a fun experience and knows his mixology well. 

We’ve ended up spending our entire time in the haven it feels like. 
Our fellow guest in the haven have been a blast. Everyone has been  on the same page and building a great atmosphere.  

I’m not sure if ever formally met yet. But thank you again for the help as the Hanson brothers have been having the time of their life ! 

It has been my pleasure. We met at the Haven Bar I think.  I am the one doing the tequila shots.  Love to connect.

Cruise well

• Haha 1