Vegan Food On Princess

jdacombe

10 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Tonights Menu From The Royal Princess. I pre ordered last night for tonights “dressy” dinner.

IMG_3141.jpeg

My husband is a vegan and nothing on that menu looks like an entree to me!  Lots of side dishes.

😞

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chamima said:

My husband is a vegan and nothing on that menu looks like an entree to me!  Lots of side dishes.

😞

The pasta was a very large portion with lots of beans. The Main was a smaller portion and all veg but since I ordered the soup and pasta I was ok with that. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

@TravelingBeyondBoundaries what ship were you / are you on & did they have vegan menus?

I was on the Crown for 11 nights and was very disappointed. The first night I asked at the dining room (before sitting down because I didn't want to have my daughter sitting starving if they had nothing). I was told to talk to the dining manager but they wouldn't let me ask (or even find out themselves) unless we were sitting down for the meal already. My daughter has special needs, if we have sat down she better be getting food quickly lol. We stuck with the buffet instead and it was horrible. Lunch always had an Indian dish, which made my daughter very happy but I don't like Indian food at all. Dinner was worse because they rarely had something vegan. Every night they had a pasta with a marinara sauce in the "kids" section but it always had meatballs. They also always had roasted potatoes but they were in with the carved meat. Vegetables, like green beans, were cooked in butter. Once they had tofu and it was really good. They did have cold salads like brown rice or pasta during lunch that I assumed were vegan (nothing I could see, whenever I asked the staff questions they had no clue and would take five minutes just to get a simple answer like "is there meat in this"). The fruit were good, salad bar was ok but not often a vegan dressing, plain rice available every meal though. Overall I was extremely disappointed. How hard is it to have a pasta that you add your own sauce to? Or to not put the roasted potatoes in with the meat? The veggie burger was a mushy patty but at least it was food. I overheard someone that is celiac struggling to find food as well. Our next cruise with Princess is on the Sky. Apparently has better options. We have 4 cruises with Royal before then where we will eat like queens, including desserts, so hopefully the Sky is better than the Crown.

• Thanks 2

Tmrw night on the Royal

-Tonight I hade Cauliflower  Tacos, Beet Salad and Shepherds Pie.

All fantastic and better tasting than the offerings I have tried from the vegetarian section. 

IMG_3244.jpeg

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had one cruise that had simply outstanding vegan meals in the MDR and that was on the Grand - and the maitre d was vegan! That's probably why it was so great.  All the others have been ok, didn't starve but not as good as what I make at home by a long shot. Fortunately I don't cruise to eat. I just want to get reasonably tasty food to stay alive and healthy. lol 

I've never seen a salad bar that didn't have oil/vinegar - I will ask for it if I don't. It's a bit disheartening to hear that the Crown was so lacking which is the ship I'm on in October. But at least I'll be expecting it and then it won't bother me so much. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have sailed on the Emerald and had vegan options each night.  (Fernando, one of the restaurant managers is the best!)

We will be sailing on the Regal soon.  Has anyone had experience ordering from a vegan menu?  I thought I read on this forum some of the ships don't offer vegan menus.  

Thanks.

On 8/21/2023 at 9:03 AM, TravelingBeyondBoundaries said:

I was on the Crown for 11 nights and was very disappointed. The first night I asked at the dining room (before sitting down because I didn't want to have my daughter sitting starving if they had nothing). I was told to talk to the dining manager but they wouldn't let me ask (or even find out themselves) unless we were sitting down for the meal already. My daughter has special needs, if we have sat down she better be getting food quickly lol. We stuck with the buffet instead and it was horrible. Lunch always had an Indian dish, which made my daughter very happy but I don't like Indian food at all. Dinner was worse because they rarely had something vegan. Every night they had a pasta with a marinara sauce in the "kids" section but it always had meatballs. They also always had roasted potatoes but they were in with the carved meat. Vegetables, like green beans, were cooked in butter. Once they had tofu and it was really good. They did have cold salads like brown rice or pasta during lunch that I assumed were vegan (nothing I could see, whenever I asked the staff questions they had no clue and would take five minutes just to get a simple answer like "is there meat in this"). The fruit were good, salad bar was ok but not often a vegan dressing, plain rice available every meal though. Overall I was extremely disappointed. How hard is it to have a pasta that you add your own sauce to? Or to not put the roasted potatoes in with the meat? The veggie burger was a mushy patty but at least it was food. I overheard someone that is celiac struggling to find food as well. Our next cruise with Princess is on the Sky. Apparently has better options. We have 4 cruises with Royal before then where we will eat like queens, including desserts, so hopefully the Sky is better than the Crown.

Is it not possible to inform Princess in advance and meet the DRM your first night at dinner to plan your meals?  I do that to prevent them from serving me dairy and it works out very well.  In fact, some nights I’m eating better food than the rest of the dining room. I’m not vegan but I order a lot of vegan food because I know it will be dairy free.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

You're right .... I remember those menus from Regal so I misread.

Oh!  When were you on the Regal?  The Emerald menus you posted are the same from June and September.  They haven't changed.  🙂  There are way more options on the Emerald's menus then the ones posted above. It's so weird that they all wouldn't just have the same menus. LOL.

Last year so who really knows what it's like now .... maybe someone on on the last few months will also respond

My go-to dinner #1 is fruit plate, baked potato, steamed veggies. But then I'm an ovo dairy vegetarian so not as limited 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Is it not possible to inform Princess in advance and meet the DRM your first night at dinner to plan your meals?  I do that to prevent them from serving me dairy and it works out very well.  In fact, some nights I’m eating better food than the rest of the dining room. I’m not vegan but I order a lot of vegan food because I know it will be dairy free.

I told them in advance and then was given a letter saying to meet the first night but no one seemed to know who.

25 minutes ago, TravelingBeyondBoundaries said:

I told them in advance and then was given a letter saying to meet the first night but no one seemed to know who.

I’m shocked. They are supposed to pair you with a Dining Room Manager. When the waiter comes to the table with menus, I ask for the manager. And they know the drill. It’s worked perfectly for me both times so far. 

Edited by BamaVol

We have actually said something before we sit down.  What we have done on the last three cruises, we go on the first night and tell them we want to pre-order from the vegan menu for the following night.  We skip the dining room on the first night and just go to the buffet. It works out good this way for us. 
You should be able to do this in any dining room.  We were told our order was put in a computer if we wanted to go to a different dining room.  We tried to stick with the same dining room and the same waiter though, but it didn't always work out that way.

29 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

We have actually said something before we sit down.  What we have done on the last three cruises, we go on the first night and tell them we want to pre-order from the vegan menu for the following night.  We skip the dining room on the first night and just go to the buffet. It works out good this way for us. 
You should be able to do this in any dining room.  We were told our order was put in a computer if we wanted to go to a different dining room.  We tried to stick with the same dining room and the same waiter though, but it didn't always work out that way.

I have always stuck to a single MDR. Partly because the DRM I worked with was there and I enjoyed their knowledge and insights. But, yes you are supposed to be able to move around. Given the only difference is decor and personnel, if I’m happy I see no reason to switch. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In case you haven't heard the news, Princess just announced a fleet wide vegan menu 🥳🥳🥳🥳. I'm not a fan of the MDR but if it means having consistent options that's a huge win in my opinion. Sadly we went sailing again with Princess until next December but since our next two with them are 14 and 21 nights I'm very excited. The food was the main disappointment for me so hopefully this turns things around. 

Here is the announcement https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/10/princess-cruises-introduces-expansive-vegan-menus-for-plant-based-cruisers.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaaaney said:

Being a vegetarian I am interested in this. and I am sailing on the Grand in a few weeks.  I can't see a timeline for rollout,  How would I find out about the vegan menu?  Ask on the first day in the MDR? 

That's what I would do. The statement to travel agents was just that it is "currently being rolled out" but did not give dates. Given that the Grand is an older ship it might be one of the later ones to be done. You could also try calling Princess and asking if they know. Make sure to note on your preferences that you're vegetarian because that might help too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TravelingBeyondBoundaries said:

That's what I would do. The statement to travel agents was just that it is "currently being rolled out" but did not give dates. Given that the Grand is an older ship it might be one of the later ones to be done. You could also try calling Princess and asking if they know. Make sure to note on your preferences that you're vegetarian because that might help too.

They should really choose the Vegan then.  Vegetarian is no meat, but dairy sometimes, eggs products, etc. are all allowed being a vegetarian.