Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

Aboard the Journey: Takoradi Ghana today. I took the Kakum National Park tour. It's nice to see, but frankly too little for the long time (9 hours total). It's extremely rare to see animals on the canopy tour, and this was exacerbated by a "bridge ***" - a guide with two private clients who were terrified of the swaying bridges (so why were they there?), who yelled loudly at everyone ahead of them not to stop (e.g. to take pictures) but to get off the bridge. We all ignored him, but the yelling would have scared off any animals. With three days at sea in between every port, the middling shore excursions are a bit disappointing. The Ghana countryside itself is picturesque (but 9 hours is overkill). 

Three hours after sailing time, we're still in Takoradi, apparently waiting for some container (provisions?). 

On the missed ports, I'm not sure from whom I would get a straight answer, but I'll try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had similar feelings about the 11 1/2 hour excursion from Dubrovnik to Mostar (even without the human issues you had).  It would have been very nice as a 3-4 hour tour, but the long bus ride really didn't have sufficient payoff.  [Plus we missed the Destination Celebrity event because of our late arrival back.]  Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Bit of a shortage of sun loungers today on Onward. Shame as it’s the last day and many want to lie out.  They’ve removed 60% of the pool deck loungers plus all the under shade seating to put out tables for the officers bbq.

E03AF6EF-DDE2-4EFE-969A-02F1AC7C35F2.thumb.jpeg.b9600ed9eb2660afabb0e1f417520db2.jpeg

Deck 5 is partly closed due to maintenance and of course we have the early risers keeping seats in the sun and the shade. This bag has been sunbathing for over an hour. 
AA0F97FB-DED7-4A0F-AE62-50DEBBC9EF0E.thumb.jpeg.2c206dbf178e950a035c76a4e95650d5.jpeg

It’s 1000 and I feel sorry for the later risers. There’s not a lounger anywhere other than on the large piles roped up at the back. You no longer have Pool Butlers and the bar staff are too busy supporting the bbq set up to deal with it

Edited by uktog
  • Haha 1

Disembarkation started about 0745 and only at 0815  for those who had entrusted their luggage to the ship due to a lack of immigration staff. 

Not an issue for us at all but a reminder to those who fancy chancing early flights home - don’t! 

• Like 3

Aboard the Journey: 

Azamara, alas, is plunging in performance. 

For the second night, the dinner buffet in Windows had no vegetarian main. It's a buffet, it's not that hard! 

For the Gambia visa Azamara stated USD 56 would be charged to our accounts, but we were each charged USD 112. Why? Because we took the ship's tour "Exploring Senegal" we re-entered Gambia. Apart from getting a (1) visa that clearly states "multiple entry", there is the issue that this is not what Azamara wrote to each cabin (indeed stated $56 clearly) and also did not say it when selling the shore excursion. We're just talking basic communication here. 

• Thanks 3

Aboard Onward.  Miami-western Caribbean cruise.  First time on Onward after several times on Journey and Quest.  The slight differences are interesting-  set up of the living room, furniture differences, No library but LOTS of books on the shelves of the living room.  Gym is set up differently and has new looking equipment.   The sanctum terrace is set up with lounge chairs and two umbrellas.  Quite different from the comfy furniture of the others.     There is no bar in the sunset deck which is startling- but means more room for people to sit outside. Haven’t seen everything yet.   Some familiar faces from the crew from a 2019 cruise we took aboard Journey.  I’m always shocked at how they recognize us-  and I’m in a mask!!     

our room is lovely.  We were ungraded to a CC suite so there is nothing to complain about there!   

cruise critic gathering is posted in the Insider-  5:15 pm.     

Looking forward to it!!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, earth117 said:

Aboard the Journey: 

Azamara, alas, is plunging in performance. 

For the second night, the dinner buffet in Windows had no vegetarian main. It's a buffet, it's not that hard! 

For the Gambia visa Azamara stated USD 56 would be charged to our accounts, but we were each charged USD 112. Why? Because we took the ship's tour "Exploring Senegal" we re-entered Gambia. Apart from getting a (1) visa that clearly states "multiple entry", there is the issue that this is not what Azamara wrote to each cabin (indeed stated $56 clearly) and also did not say it when selling the shore excursion. We're just talking basic communication here. 

"earth117," you may have mentioned this in a previous post that I missed, but have you tried the vegetarian menu in Discoveries and if so what did you think?  I understand Azamara offers a specific & separate vegetarian menu on request.

7 hours ago, mdeegooden said:

"earth117," you may have mentioned this in a previous post that I missed, but have you tried the vegetarian menu in Discoveries and if so what did you think?  I understand Azamara offers a specific & separate vegetarian menu on request.

Here’s a link to the menu as advertised on Azamara’s UK website. Don’t know if it’s up to date. https://www.azamara.co.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/vegan_menu_2019.pdf

• Thanks 1

It's 9:20 a.m. on Onward and plenty of chairs available in the shade and sun. It's a welcome change from having to get up at 6:00 a.m. on bigger ships to make sure you could score a lounge chair in your desired location.

Internet is poor at best, even early in the morning.

Unlike the previous sailing, seas are calm. Looks like they may build a little starting tomorrow afternoon.

Other than the could shower this morning, we're enjoying our CC Suite.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Internet working fine for me.

I think it all depends what you are using it for. Can’t use it with work systems (but I can on small boats off remote Scottish islands). Do a speed test you will see the problem 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

No interest in doing work.  Stopped that 23 years ago.  Browsing is fine.  Email is fine.  Much better than on Windstar.  Expecting a ship's internet to be "speedy?"

Absolutely expecting that and as Azamara seems to want a pre retirement age audience many of them will need to maintain access to work systems whilst cruising- other lines can give that. In 23 years time if I’m still able to cruise my views will of course be different. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Absolutely expecting that and as Azamara seems to want a pre retirement age audience many of them will need to maintain access to work systems whilst cruising- other lines can give that. In 23 years time if I’m still able to cruise my views will of course be different. 

On my last cruise, it took me about 45 minutes to log on to my job site just to submit a timesheet!

18 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

On my last cruise, it took me about 45 minutes to log on to my job site just to submit a timesheet!

Mine isn’t in so it’s going to be a rubbish January fee all because of the WiFi. Oh well February will be better 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

No interest in doing work.  Stopped that 23 years ago.  Browsing is fine.  Email is fine.  Much better than on Windstar.  Expecting a ship's internet to be "speedy?"

I’m not expecting speedy, but getting one whole megabit per second would be a thrill. On a very good day I got 0.98 Mbps, on a bad day 0.09 Mbps, and no internet at all for parts of several days. I would like to keep my nearly-1600-day Duolingo streak going, and even trying at 3.30 in the morning doesn’t always work very well. (Why, yes, as a matter of fact I AM frivolous, why do you ask? 😁)

• Like 3

Aboard the Journey: 

All passengers had Covid antigen tests yesterday. Rumor says 14 tested positive and are quarantined in their cabins for 5 days. The test requirement comes from Angola authorities and you must carry a letter on shore showing your negative result (though no one checked me off the ship). 

Luanda is less than impressive and I've heard a number of complaints about the tours quality (I just walked on my own along the shore promenade and to the Iron Palace by Eiffel). It's a real shame as Azamara put in our cabins a list of gorgeous waterfalls, canyons, lakes, wildlife reserves within about 70 km but offered no tours outside the Luanda area. 

Regarding vegetarian food, there is a vegan menu one can order from. I gave up on it after realizing that the entrees were things like quinoa cake, chickpea cake, rice cake on successive nights. Azamara is the best cruise line I've seen on pervasiveness of vegan food, but they need to up their game on imagination. (I had been excited by the vegan menu online but have seen few of those choices offered.) There is no vegetarian choice on their "classic" menu, i.e. offered every night. And they don't seem to understand vegetarian food can be anything on the main menu, made vegetarian; I'd love to have the featured Thai dish with tofu, Italian dish without sausage, etc. Anyway, that's why I usually go for the Windows buffet for dinner. And I do want to really praise the Indian food, which is varied and tasty when available (often for lunch). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1