Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

On 12/11/2022 at 10:06 AM, uktog said:

Bit of a shortage of sun loungers today on Onward. Shame as it’s the last day and many want to lie out.  They’ve removed 60% of the pool deck loungers plus all the under shade seating to put out tables for the officers bbq.

E03AF6EF-DDE2-4EFE-969A-02F1AC7C35F2.thumb.jpeg.b9600ed9eb2660afabb0e1f417520db2.jpeg

Deck 5 is partly closed due to maintenance and of course we have the early risers keeping seats in the sun and the shade. This bag has been sunbathing for over an hour. 
AA0F97FB-DED7-4A0F-AE62-50DEBBC9EF0E.thumb.jpeg.2c206dbf178e950a035c76a4e95650d5.jpeg

It’s 1000 and I feel sorry for the later risers. There’s not a lounger anywhere other than on the large piles roped up at the back. You no longer have Pool Butlers and the bar staff are too busy supporting the bbq set up to deal with it

We were very upset about this

18 hours ago, earth117 said:

Aboard the Journey: 

All passengers had Covid antigen tests yesterday. Rumor says 14 tested positive and are quarantined in their cabins for 5 days. The test requirement comes from Angola authorities and you must carry a letter on shore showing your negative result (though no one checked me off the ship). 

Luanda is less than impressive and I've heard a number of complaints about the tours quality (I just walked on my own along the shore promenade and to the Iron Palace by Eiffel). It's a real shame as Azamara put in our cabins a list of gorgeous waterfalls, canyons, lakes, wildlife reserves within about 70 km but offered no tours outside the Luanda area. 

Regarding vegetarian food, there is a vegan menu one can order from. I gave up on it after realizing that the entrees were things like quinoa cake, chickpea cake, rice cake on successive nights. Azamara is the best cruise line I've seen on pervasiveness of vegan food, but they need to up their game on imagination. (I had been excited by the vegan menu online but have seen few of those choices offered.) There is no vegetarian choice on their "classic" menu, i.e. offered every night. And they don't seem to understand vegetarian food can be anything on the main menu, made vegetarian; I'd love to have the featured Thai dish with tofu, Italian dish without sausage, etc. Anyway, that's why I usually go for the Windows buffet for dinner. And I do want to really praise the Indian food, which is varied and tasty when available (often for lunch). 

I hope none of the 14 are truly sick with symptoms.  And, if any of those were people with YF waivers that kept them on the ship anyway that would be the total “pits”  —— some were immunocompromised. 

Any idea what happens on day 5 if they still test positive? 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I hope none of the 14 are truly sick with symptoms.  And, if any of those were people with YF waivers that kept them on the ship anyway that would be the total “pits”  —— some were immunocompromised. 

Any idea what happens on day 5 if they still test positive? 

You can be positive for up to 1 month.  In Canada it was isolation for 5 days followed by 5 days with masks. It’s now change to if you test positive and you feel sick stay home until you better followed with 10 days with masks, if no symptoms or mild symptoms no isolation, but 10 days with mask.  We don’t retest. 85% of the canadian is vaxx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iata said:

You can be positive for up to 1 month.  In Canada it was isolation for 5 days followed by 5 days with masks. It’s now change to if you test positive and you feel sick stay home until you better followed with 10 days with masks, if no symptoms or mild symptoms no isolation, but 10 days with mask.  We don’t retest. 85% of the canadian is vaxx

That sounds similar to what is suggested in the US.  Since there are so many ports on this cruise that require vax I’d think the percentage is higher vaxed in this community.  I think think the UK was even less stringent about staying home.   Time will tell what Azamara will do, I guess!  

Thanks. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

On 12/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, lisiamc said:

I’m not expecting speedy, but getting one whole megabit per second would be a thrill. On a very good day I got 0.98 Mbps, on a bad day 0.09 Mbps, and no internet at all for parts of several days. I would like to keep my nearly-1600-day Duolingo streak going, and even trying at 3.30 in the morning doesn’t always work very well. (Why, yes, as a matter of fact I AM frivolous, why do you ask? 😁)

1600 days?!? I am in awe! Duolingo is, to me at least, a great way of learning a language. After completing the Italian tree, it was surprising how decently I could communicate there - mainly reading. My favorite phrase while there was (in Italian) "I can read like a teenager, speak like a young boy, and listen like an infant".  😀 You must have knocked off more than a few languages.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

1600 days?!? I am in awe! Duolingo is, to me at least, a great way of learning a language. After completing the Italian tree, it was surprising how decently I could communicate there - mainly reading. My favorite phrase while there was (in Italian) "I can read like a teenager, speak like a young boy, and listen like an infant".  😀 You must have knocked off more than a few languages.

To be completely accurate, 1596 days in my streak as of today, although I’ve been doing Duolingo for 7 years altogether. I would say that I speak dreadful Italian for someone who’s been learning for so long. I am frequently surprised by how often I make the Italians laugh. I once tried to say that I was looking for lard in the supermarket, and said that I’m looking for an ostrich instead! I did get the lard (strutto), but not the ostrich (struzzo), thankfully. One of my better phrases, useful for scam phone calls, is “I was born at night, but not last night.” 😁

I have no knack for languages, sadly. I took French for years in school, and can order a sandwich, and ask for the Ladies Room, but other than that… not so much. I can read enough Spanish to get into trouble, but not enough to get out again!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I am on Onward in Jan around the Caribbean,  and so looking forward to it , I do hope we don’t have to go back to masks , here in the U.K. at present there are more cases of flu than COVID and flu is much more life threatening this year.

• Like 2

I have a question that someone onboard may be able to ask for me please 

On an upcoming cruise we are most likely to purchase the Indulgence package which also includes $250 Spa credit. Neither of us want to use the spa for treatments etc but can this credit be used to purchase items from the spa? 
Would be grateful if anyone who is either passing or using the spa could ask on my behalf 

Many thanks

Vicki Brown

5 hours ago, gymfreak said:

I have a question that someone onboard may be able to ask for me please 

On an upcoming cruise we are most likely to purchase the Indulgence package which also includes $250 Spa credit. Neither of us want to use the spa for treatments etc but can this credit be used to purchase items from the spa? 
Would be grateful if anyone who is either passing or using the spa could ask on my behalf 

Many thanks

Vicki Brown

I'm sailing on Onward now. I asked the spa manager, and she said your credit can be used for products. Enjoy your cruise. We disembark in the morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgg said:

I'm sailing on Onward now. I asked the spa manager, and she said your credit can be used for products. Enjoy your cruise. We disembark in the morning.

Thank you so much for taking the time to ask for me.. Hope you had a lovely cruise.

1 hour ago, macmax said:

Now on Onward heading to Costa Rica the wifi has gone from dreadful on day 1 to quite decent. Not sure what has changed but I'm happy.

Screenshot_20221225-122617_Google.jpg

Wow! Wasn't like that last week. Hope it's a change that stays. 

Enjoy!

Kevin

On 12/25/2022 at 3:57 PM, kml246 said:

Wow! Wasn't like that last week. Hope it's a change that stays. 

Enjoy!

Kevin

I spoke too soon.....the wifi was out for almost 24hrs yesterday but seems to be working fine again today.🤞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, macmax said:

I spoke too soon.....the wifi was out for almost 24hrs yesterday but seems to be working fine again today.🤞

Yes, it seems to be a bit fragile at the moment. I had pretty good luck with it for a while yesterday afternoon - enough to do my Duolingo, anyway! I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they’re awaiting delivery of a replacement part or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Yes, it seems to be a bit fragile at the moment. I had pretty good luck with it for a while yesterday afternoon - enough to do my Duolingo, anyway! I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they’re awaiting delivery of a replacement part or something.

Wifi is good when it's on but long periods with "no internet."  And no explanation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Wifi is good when it's on but long periods with "no internet."  And no explanation.

I have heard from someone who uses his computer for work whilst cruising that the Starlink coverage can be a pit patchy in this part of the world. When the internet is working, it is excellent, but it does drop off sometimes. Even so, it is a HUGE improvement over what we had on the transatlantic in November. 

• Like 1