Ventura N123

hollyjess

Admittedly it's been a few years since I was in last in Vigo - and I can't even remember if it was Arcadia or Aurora (but it was one of the two).  P&O used to do a tour which included tapas in a yacht club, time to wander around then back via the scenic, hilly route.   I may be a bit hazy on which ship I was actually on at the time, but I did enjoy Vigo as a trip.   It's a bit like Brest in that the port itself is industrial and for want of finding a better adjective - ugly, but once into the country, really pleasant.

• Like 1

Whilst I certainly wouldn't put Vigo in my top ten, I do think it is a nice, traditional Spanish town. Pleasant for a wander around and a nice lunch. Of course, it is also a gateway to the lovely little town of Santiago de Compostela.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

Whilst I certainly wouldn't put Vigo in my top ten, I do think it is a nice, traditional Spanish town. Pleasant for a wander around and a nice lunch. Of course, it is also a gateway to the lovely little town of Santiago de Compostela.

Was getting a bit worried as we are  due to dock there next May.  We tend to find anywhere ok though once we wander off from the immediate dock/drop off point and find the real Spanish backstreets or less touristy parts of a port of call.

Hopefully we will have weather that helps at that time of year as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Me too! But just pointing out that there’s more to Vigo than we originally thought on our first visit. 

Unless marine traffic is wrong then Ventura did spend a second day in Grand Canaria, and is now halfway towards Vigo for tomorrow. The captain obviously took my advice.😇

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tring said:

Was getting a bit worried as we are  due to dock there next May.  We tend to find anywhere ok though once we wander off from the immediate dock/drop off point and find the real Spanish backstreets or less touristy parts of a port of call.

Hopefully we will have weather that helps at that time of year as well.

If you like the 'real' Spain you will enjoy it. Wander up to the top of town and find the little park with nice views. Then have a leisurely lunch. Seafood is very good there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I like Vigo,,,,,Santiago de Compostela is a must do excursions for a first timer.

For those who like a Spanish lunch,,there is a street just back from the Main Rd which is full of reasonable priced restaurants,mostly fish/shellfish…Octopus stew anyone?

We'd planned to do lunch there last time.  However, the Ole Lady doesn't eat fish, and there wasn't any non fish stuff on the menus that appealed to her.

I will try to be more coercive next time!

• Like 1

I am currently on Ventura N123.

There has been a lot of incorrect speculation on this thread, so here are the facts…

Whilst we were in Lanzarote two passengers were identified as needing medical assistance onshore. The illness wasn’t specified by the captain (but I suspect it was Covid)

As there are no suitable hospital facilities on Lanzarote the Spanish authorities instructed the captain to sail south to Gran Canaria to disembark the passengers. This was done with a quick stop and go around midnight the same day.

Due to the extra time taken to do this there was insufficient time to make Madeira as scheduled, therefore it was cancelled and we are now heading direct to Vigo (due to arrive around 9am tomorrow)

We have been sailing at normal speeds throughout, currently 17 knots.

I am one of those onboard who is bitterly disappointed at not reaching Madeira as that was the main reason for me booking this particular cruise, but the captain had no other option.

As far as I am aware there are no further cases onboard, and the protocols onboard have been excellent and it has been a superb trip so far.

Les.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I am currently on Ventura N123.

There has been a lot of incorrect speculation on this thread, so here are the facts…

Whilst we were in Lanzarote two passengers were identified as needing medical assistance onshore. The illness wasn’t specified by the captain (but I suspect it was Covid)

As there are no suitable hospital facilities on Lanzarote the Spanish authorities instructed the captain to sail south to Gran Canaria to disembark the passengers. This was done with a quick stop and go around midnight the same day.

Due to the extra time taken to do this there was insufficient time to make Madeira as scheduled, therefore it was cancelled and we are now heading direct to Vigo (due to arrive around 9am tomorrow)

We have been sailing at normal speeds throughout, currently 17 knots.

I am one of those onboard who is bitterly disappointed at not reaching Madeira as that was the main reason for me booking this particular cruise, but the captain had no other option.

As far as I am aware there are no further cases onboard, and the protocols onboard have been excellent and it has been a superb trip so far.

Les.

Thanks for sharing the facts, but we must never let them get in the way of speculation, guesswork or a good story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5