Is the tram to Mahahual up and running yet?

klass2

If you have been to Costa Maya post Covid have you seen the tram up and running yet? 

I found some earlier posts and it was not up and running yet. 

I was wondering if anyone has been lately and if it is back? I know ships are increasing capacity and more ships are sailing, so maybe it will be up and running soon?

We will be in Costa Maya twice in early December on 2 different cruises. I know that taxis are cheap and plentiful but just checking to see if the tram service is back. 

TIA

What is the cost for a round trip on a the tram?  If catching a cab, what's a typical one way fare?

I was in Costa Maya years ago and there was nothing at the port, and $3 cabs to Mahahual, which was a tiny collection of buildings, and a pristine beach. I know it's changed a lot!

9 hours ago, Travelgrrl said:

What is the cost for a round trip on a the tram?  If catching a cab, what's a typical one way fare?

I was in Costa Maya years ago and there was nothing at the port, and $3 cabs to Mahahual, which was a tiny collection of buildings, and a pristine beach. I know it's changed a lot!

IF the tram is running (which seems to have been variable) - it only used to be one-way (outbound).

Taxis are $8 per taxi each way. If solo probably better to take shuttle out if running. I don’t know what the shuttle was charging when it did restart.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I was at costa maya last week on Wednesday. 

The tram was not running at all. The ticket booth thing was there but no trams to be seen or workers staffing the booth. 

Taxis to mahahual were $4per person each way. 

We had another great day at Krazy Lobster. I am going back next week on Tuesday and will visit KL again. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, klass2 said:

The tram was not running at all. The ticket booth thing was there but no trams to be seen or workers staffing the booth. 

We had another great day at Krazy Lobster. I am going back next week on Tuesday and will visit KL again. 

We were there on Tuesday!  No trams. Lots of taxis.  But there was a single trolley running on the pier.  We walked faster than the trolley, but on our ship there were a tone of scooter/walker people so having that was a good thing for them.

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

We were there on Tuesday!  No trams. Lots of taxis.  But there was a single trolley running on the pier.  We walked faster than the trolley, but on our ship there were a tone of scooter/walker people so having that was a good thing for them.

Yes. The trolley for people needing assistance to/from the ship to the port was up and running for sure. There usually are a good amount of passengers with mobility issues so it’s good they get assistance. 

I suppose the terms are confusing. They are used interchangeably a lot. 

People on various roll calls for our cruise were wondering about the tram vs taxi to get to/from Mahahual. 

I remember riding the tram.  Its only one way and back you have to find a taxi.

This time I am going to walk to Mahahul and back and its next week.  I believe its 2 miles one way.

The last time I check, the shot cut along the beach to Mahahul is not accessible.  Is it still true?

Yes.  Still not accessible.  I took a picture on my phone but can't get it here. You might still be able to head out the cruise port and turn left at the first side street and wander your way back toward the ocean.  There's a large house or condo unit between the port and the lighthouse so there's access to that place and the beach starts just beyond there.  

On 12/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, klass2 said:

We are also heading to KL.  12/16...Can't wait...Were they really busy on your last trip?  Read that there are 4 ships in port day we arrive.