Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

29 minutes ago, chamima said:

Just passing it forward.

Someone suggested that to us when we were panicking because we needed to test on Dec. 31 or Jan1 and everyone else was closed.

I ended up finding an Urgent Care that was open in Michigan but knowing I had a backup let me sleep!

Lab doctor does seem like a good option in Ft Lauderdale and from what Ive read, the pricing is reasonable too at 49 bucks if someone needs something last minute and close to the port.

20 hours ago, jerseylily said:

Hi searching for information on the testing for non US nationals for TAMPA departure.  The use of links to the port testing site are not helpful at all.  Can anyone in the know advise me is the testing at the port only on the day of departure? Can a non us national pay for testing anywhere else like Walgreens? 

Would really appreciate any suggestions for Tampa testing.

9 minutes ago, jerseylily said:

Would really appreciate any suggestions for Tampa testing.

Would the Daniel K Inouye airport in Honolulu do antigen testing to return to Canada?  Either that or look for a pharmacy near Waikiki Beach.

17 hours ago, XuGator said:

So much misinformation here to unpack.  1. You don’t need to lie at all and if you will be in an area where it’s not possible to social distance (such as airplane or cruise ship ) then it qualifies as a covered event. 2. Appointment availability is everywhere now and there is no wait anywhere. I checked 4 places in ft lauderdale for tomorrow and every place had every time slot available. If you haven’t noticed - Covid is pretty much over. Nobody is being overwhelmed and nobody is testing themselves unless they need to for travel. 

If you want to take a chance with a doctor writing a note, that’s on you.  I’m just going to follow the celebrity guidelines and spend the $35 bucks for the optimum tests.  They work and it’s easy. You can do the day before.  Funny, people are telling you the truth, and you call it misinformation. 

COVID is not over yet. That in itself is misinformation.  

1 minute ago, bdstickks0944 said:
18 hours ago, XuGator said:

So much misinformation here to unpack.  1. You don’t need to lie at all and if you will be in an area where it’s not possible to social distance (such as airplane or cruise ship ) then it qualifies as a covered event. 2. Appointment availability is everywhere now and there is no wait anywhere. I checked 4 places in ft lauderdale for tomorrow and every place had every time slot available. If you haven’t noticed - Covid is pretty much over. Nobody is being overwhelmed and nobody is testing themselves unless they need to for travel. 

If you want to take a chance with a doctor writing a note, that’s on you.  I’m just going to follow the celebrity guidelines and spend the $35 bucks for the optimum tests.  They work and it’s easy. You can do the day before.  Funny, people are telling you the truth, and you call it misinformation. 

COVID is not over yet. That in itself is misinformation.  

Does this indicate that it’s over?

FCAA3708-3A93-41B4-906C-283538C79B4B.png

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Counting cases is certainly over.

Ok. Well I’m not going to get into a dumb argument about COVID.  I’m a nurse, and I trust the numbers, and while cases are down, 145,000 cases in one day does not indicate that it’s over.  Let’s all just do what we need to do individually, and not turn this into nonsense.  Everyone enjoy your cruises!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Ok. Well I’m not going to get into a dumb argument about COVID.  I’m a nurse, and I trust the numbers, and while cases are down, 145,000 cases in one day does not indicate that it’s over.  Let’s all just do what we need to do individually, and not turn this into nonsense.  Everyone enjoy your cruises!

As far as counting cases, someone near me pointed out that with all of the at home tests (and especially the free ones being sent out by the govt.) the count of "cases" was way off. She said that she, her husband and children all had Covid, verified by at home tests. But, because no one needed to be hospitalized,  there was no official record of that anywhere.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, chamima said:

As far as counting cases, someone near me pointed out that with all of the at home tests (and especially the free ones being sent out by the govt.) the count of "cases" was way off. She said that she, her husband and children all had Covid, verified by at home tests. But, because no one needed to be hospitalized,  there was no official record of that anywhere.

Maybe but the cdc is pretty accurate.  It’s not way off.  Listen to the experts, not people that really are just speculating.  

20 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Maybe but the cdc is pretty accurate.  It’s not way off.  Listen to the experts, not people that really are just speculating.  

Even the CDC now says it is mostly about hospitalizations and not just positive tests.  That guidance gets us back to living with the virus by managing expectations and puts us in endemic mode.  So hopefully this philosophy will soon translate to cruise ships and isolation will only be needed for sick passengers and crew.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Even the CDC now says it is mostly about hospitalizations and not just positive tests.  That guidance gets us back to living with the virus by managing expectations and puts us in endemic mode.  So hopefully this philosophy will soon translate to cruise ships and isolation will only be needed for sick passengers and crew.

The CDC and other government agencies have done a terrible job informing the public about this new reasonable philosophy. Even the governor of my state continues to release daily case counts with a graph over time, as if a positive case today is the same as a positive case 1 year ago--pre-vaccines, pre-boosters, and pre-omicron. Case counts are no longer relevant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The CDC and other government agencies have done a terrible job informing the public about this new reasonable philosophy. Even the governor of my state continues to release daily case counts with a graph over time, as if a positive case today is the same as a positive case 1 year ago--pre-vaccines, pre-boosters, and pre-omicron. Case counts are no longer relevant.

There needs to be an all-out information campaign from multiple government and media sources to get us all to understand what happens in the endemic mode of COVID.  The CDC could make some relevant changes regarding cruise ships and other travel to push us along in our thought and actions.  And Pre-cruise testing maybe at some point soon goes away (wishful thinking).

5 hours ago, jerseylily said:

Still looking if anyone has any ideas other than celebrity options for non US  residents?

Where are you sailing from?

If it's Fort Lauderdale try Lab Doctor.

They're on 17th street across from Embassy Suites.

https://labdoctor.org/

954-530-4447
855-LABDOCTOR

On 2/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, XuGator said:

I’m looking ahead to next month. Would you be able to tell me which places you checked? I did look at CVS but the site just seemed to be going in circles. I know I can’t book now but trying to plan ahead. 

30 minutes ago, lienf said:

I’m looking ahead to next month. Would you be able to tell me which places you checked? I did look at CVS but the site just seemed to be going in circles. I know I can’t book now but trying to plan ahead. 

Sure  - I checked Walgreens and CVS and both options had tons of availability each day for the rapid test. Assuming you are sailing out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale, there is also plenty of availability at the airports upon arrival. Lab doctor in Ft Lauderdale also a good option.

On 2/25/2022 at 2:58 PM, bdstickks0944 said:

145,000 out of how many?  I see you listed the numerator - what's the denominator?

2 hours ago, XuGator said:

Sure  - I checked Walgreens and CVS and both options had tons of availability each day for the rapid test. Assuming you are sailing out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale, there is also plenty of availability at the airports upon arrival. Lab doctor in Ft Lauderdale also a good option.

Thank you. 

28 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Celebrity mandates are only until March 31 for testing.  Does anyone have a crystal ball for mandate after the end of March for us April and thereafter cruisers?

My crystal ball says pre-cruise testing will be around for a while.

I'm curious if anyone has used any Telehealth tests other than the Abbot kits from Celebrity? I'm specifically looking at Azova. They will provide the telehealth proctor and a certified result, but you can use your own at-home antigen test (from a list of approved brands). It's $20 per test observation, and since we can use tests we already have on hand that are reimbursed by insurance, it's a decent cost savings. We don't have a CVS or Walgreens nearby that does the rapid tests.